PDA

View Full Version : Sicarius Models (the difference)

lobster-overlord
12-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi all,

I just picked up the new Sicarius model. It is extremely different from the older one I have (matched lightning claws). I know the new model goes with the rules in the codex (I cannot find my copy at the moment). How does the older model play into the fluff/game?

Thanks,

John M.

Just_Me
12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
If memory serves that model was released as part of the Fall of Medusa V worldwide campaign. I don't believe he ever had any special rules (if he did they would have been part of that campaign setting). As for how that model fits into the fluff, presumably it represents Sicarius as he was before he assumed the mantles of Suzerain of Ultramar and Grand Duke of Talassar and received the honorary weapons and armor associated with those offices.

Fun fact, if you look in the 4th edition SM: Codex there is a captain with a single power-claw and a plasma pistol labeled "Captain Sicarius" of the 2nd company. So we might infer that his plasma pistol was always part of his personal armory and that power claws were his CC weapons of choice until he was made Duke and received his ceremonial sword, during the Medusa campaign he just chose (for whatever reason) to use two claws and leave the pistol at home.

The AKH
12-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I think they've retconned the Medusa V Limited Edition model as Sicarius - he appears in the 5th Ed. Space Marine Codex as "Ultramarines Captain with Lightning Claws".

In-game, he makes a great Vanguard sergeant, Captain with lighting claws, or counts-as Shrike in an Ultramarines army.

lobster-overlord
12-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks all. I was out of touch with 40K during Medusa V, so I didn't know any information from it. Eventually, the old model will likely be a Company Captain in my BA Chapter.

JOhn M>

RocketRollRebel
12-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah I remember thinking "this looks nothing like the lightening claw one" when the current Sicaius model came out. I think it was also a WD model. Maybe not tho. Medusa V is when I started playing actually :p

murrburger
12-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Yup, there was a Sicarius-like (The one with the sword, PP and the crest) model as far back as 2nd edition. Outside of 5th edition, I have no idea who the hell he is or why he's a Grand Duke.

lobster-overlord
12-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Yup, there was a Sicarius-like (The one with the sword, PP and the crest) model as far back as 2nd edition. Outside of 5th edition, I have no idea who the hell he is or why he's a Grand Duke.

I was actually thinking that too, as I have that model and the crest is such an oddity in the SM model line.

Just_Me
12-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I was actually thinking that too, as I have that model and the crest is such an oddity in the SM model line.

Well, I don't actually care for the new model all that much (too static for Space Marine commander in my opinion), but the crest fits with the Greek (r.e. Spartan) flavor of the Ultramarines. Although on the same note, I don't really care for the whole "Ultramarines are the best!" thing that infected the latest codex (my only major objection to an otherwise solid book), the sense seems to be that no matter how cool your marines are the Ultramarines are better, no reason for it, they just ARE.

In my personal opinion they are a bunch of hide-bound, overweening, self-righteous S.O.B.s who look down their noses at even the other First-Founding chapters with more noble histories. And as far as I can tell Guilliman seems to have been an arrogant prick who did little more than stand on the sidelines and pick up the pieces after his brothers shed blood, sweat, and tears during the Heresy.

Grotzooka
12-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Uh oh, here we go again...

Just_Me
12-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Uh oh, here we go again...

Nonsense, I have stated my opinion, and it ends there.