PDA

View Full Version : Agrax Earthshade Problem

SecondJames
01-07-2014, 06:20 PM
I've been using Agrax Earthshade wash on some of my models to give them that nice grungy look, but the last few times I've used it its left this weird residue that looks like congealed grease. I always use clean water to dilute it, and I've tried a new brush and mixing dish, but it keeps happening. Has anyone else had this problem and knows how to fix it?

Pics of the offending substance:

-Tom-
01-08-2014, 07:57 AM
I've been using Agrax Earthshade wash on some of my models to give them that nice grungy look, but the last few times I've used it its left this weird residue that looks like congealed grease. I always use clean water to dilute it, and I've tried a new brush and mixing dish, but it keeps happening. Has anyone else had this problem and knows how to fix it?

Pics of the offending substance:

Did you shake it thoroughly? I had some of the black ink that was producing a very shiny result when I wasn't shaking it enough.

Lukas The Trickster
01-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Try using it mixed with Lahmian Medium or acrylic thinner (Like Tamiya's X20A) instead of water, and see if it does the same thing

dwez
02-10-2014, 08:02 AM
I had the same thing happen with the Seraphim Sepia. I was absolutely devastated when it happened on my Flyting Hive Tyrant Wings. (http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/nids-part-75-winged-hive-tyrant-and.html) The wash seemed to be drying perfectly and the results looked amazing then when i came back an hour later it looked like someone had snuck in and sprinkled talcum powder on it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AxDTvnDpytw/URu36KryttI/AAAAAAAAGQA/9993ZNVjp00/s320/13607711302440.jpg

I would recommend switching to another wash, the new shades seem to be the problem. Army Painter washes are nearly exactly the same as the old Badab Black, Devlan Mud and Gryphonne Sepia, you get more too. since switching I've had no problems.

One thing about the residue that the current shades can leave is that they can then be stained by other washes. So you can get that Typhus Corrosion effect by using a Devlan Mud on the residue. However, it's not something easy to control so personally I recommend if you want that effect get Typhus Corroision and returning the Agrax Earthshade. You can then try another pot or switch to something that is fit for purpose.

atomsmasher
02-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Yikes. I haven't had that happen yet, and I hope it doesn't. Someone mentioned Army Painter washes; do those come in a dropper bottle?