PDA

View Full Version : What is your preferred way to play?

Bigred
01-05-2014, 12:58 PM
It's time for a community poll and to really get some percentage breakdowns.

What is your preferred way to get in games?

1) Random pick up-games (everything allowed, first come first serve)
2) Limited pick-up games (you filter pickup opponents (no Escalation, etc))
3) Pre arranged games (you and your opponent arrange ahead of time)
4) Competitive games (tournaments, I deal with whatever appears across from me)

Vote!

While not on the poll note whether you play the majority of your games in a private setting (a home), or a public setting (a store, event, etc...)

Grey Mage
01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
At a store, though for many many years before I moved it was in friends basements. Apartment living just doesnt have the space you know?

And while I do like to prearrange games, its very often 'bring whatever' just with a predone point value.

StefanyFides
01-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Megabattles, in store, ideally with a time limit on turns

Khornel
01-05-2014, 01:28 PM
I have not much time, so most games are played in Home, with friends, mostly prearenged.

lordokaos
01-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I play almost exclusively at my LGS despite the fact that I have two game tables in my basement...

Archon
01-05-2014, 01:50 PM
If we play a "normal" game, we set a pointvalue and go for it. No one will bring a superheavy or extra fortifications if its not agreed by both sides.

In the last days or week we play a little campaing more to have a narritve to go on. In this campaign we dived our collection of chaos and imperial army in pre set armys. This results in some armys about ca. 1,7 K with only two troop choices, but it results in very exciting games.

Deadlift
01-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Prearranged, games night is once a fortnight. Friends, beer, dice, snacks and 40k. Brilliant.

Morgrim
01-05-2014, 02:03 PM
I used to play prearranged ones with friends, often part of campaigns or narratives. Lately my games have been small pickup games at my LGS, but filtered in that I tend to only play people that I already know or are vouched for and I avoid games over 1k or with digital supplements. (1k is because I prefer smaller scale skirmishes and the store has smallish tables that make 2k+ games impractical, digital because I don't play anything I haven't seen the rules for and nobody brings their tablet to the store; someone has printed off the relevant rules parts for their SoB and I'd have absolutely no issues playing them.)

Pssyche
01-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Pretty much every game I play I arrange in advance due to my work schedules.
They are all at the North West Gaming Centre in Stockport which can cater for around 130 players at a time, so table space is rarely an issue.

I have absolutely no problems with a pick up game with any and all rules thrown in.
However, I don't have that much free time to game in and sometimes I can't fit a battle in for a couple of months at a stretch.
So turning up for a game and not getting one, which has happened several times in the past, is really not on.

Hence, I always try to arrange games in advance.

musical-fool
01-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Personnaly I play to play and to have fun. Randomness is good for playing against all sorts or armies of all shapes & sizes. As long as I get a bit of epicness (scout sgt Bob killing a deamon prince with a bolt pistol shot, termie Dan surviving 5 turns of army shot on him alone, etc.)

Prearranged is good but I tend to end up playing against the same armies.

Bail Ohmar
01-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Pre-arranged casual games with friends.

Wolfshade
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Prearranged, games night is once a fortnight. Friends, beer, dice, snacks and 40k. Brilliant.

Once again DL nails it

sorri
01-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Tournaments! I knew every tournament I'd get to play 3 games in a set period of time, and get some variety in. I was also guaranteed 3 games without having to try to find people to play with. Even the escalation leagues at the FLGS were more of a hassle because I'd have to try to contact the people, arrange times that would work for both of us, reserve space at the FLGS for those times, etc. Besides not having my gaming stuff out of boxes, that's the other big reason I haven't played since moving...

Chaoschrist
01-05-2014, 09:53 PM
It really depends;

I have my army packed up and ready to go most of the time, and often I'll just show up somewhere with my army and see if anyone is around for a game. Mind you; it really depends on the army though, because hauling around multiple cases of Orks through public transport tends to be a bit annoying.

On other times I make an appointment ahead with a friend to see when he has time and stuff like that.

Tyrendian
01-06-2014, 03:37 AM
usually arranged with friends, since there is not a lot of pick-up gaming available ´round ´ere... and then usually in the same location: my friend´s garden shack (cold as hell in winter, but the only location with enough space available to us really

Angelus Mortifer
01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
My gaming group plays on the first floor of a pub, and whilst they don't sell pretzels, it is very much a beer and crisps setting :D.

Games are nearly always arranged ahead of time, but there is always flexibility in how to play when discussed in advance (e.g. basic 1850, double force org, (yet to be introduced in numbers but...) Escalation and Stronghold Assault). The game itself has always been what you make it and our tourneys are just the same. Great choice.

Starting to have a few more games round a mate's house too.

Toyz n the Hood
01-07-2014, 08:35 AM
my friends and I mostly game to prepare for tournaments. What does that count as? I know what races they have but don't know exactly what they play. We used to have pick up games but now we've all moved away from each other this gives us the focus to keep seeing each other.

We will pre-arrange games with lots of planning about twice a year, usually our traditional Christmas game and something big each summer.

we play at home mostly, having clubbed together to build a good collection of scenery (and working at GW never hurt either!)

Captain Bubonicus
01-07-2014, 08:52 AM
I play random pick-up games with the regulars (and random walk-ins) at the local FGS - I do okay against the old timers with old-edition armies (as I am one myself!) but tend to get curb-stomped by the newer, more competitive players. Still, it's all good. Nerd time is fun time!

Rahveel
01-07-2014, 09:30 AM
For me, It is usually a situation of arranging a game with a player, establishing a points level, and then I dont know what I am up against till it hits the table. with some opponents you know what faction they will bring, but rarely army comp. prolly 50/50 on home games vrs LGS games.

Gunzhard
01-07-2014, 10:13 AM
If I do "filter" opponents it's to avoid the net-list types, but even that is rare.

sgtpjbarker
01-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Pre-arranged and against my sons. I used to do stuff at my LGS but activity there has dropped.

Rissan4ever
01-07-2014, 11:41 AM
I usually only play in pre-arranged games and tournaments at my FLGS. I can only get out to play about once a month, so the unreliability of random pick-ups is no good for me. I also play at a friends house, where we arrange play dates with our kids that also allow us to play 40K.

Rich_B
01-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Usually prearranged games at club night every Tuesday. With 30ish members playing 40+ games/systems it's the only way to do it.

Occasional events, never for GW systems.

Occasional pick up games for stuff like Netrunner. Never for wargames.

Azrell
01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
I think the amount of things that are prearranged should be more specified. A random person you find on your local forums and arrange a game with is basically a pick up game if you only specify a pts level and what type of game your looking for, ie... testing tournament list or just haven't played in a while.

Blitzhellion
01-07-2014, 03:19 PM
I have recently been doing a lot of prearranged games these last 3-4 months, but i do like pick ups too. The problem i have with pickups, is that the other 40k players, tend to prearrange their games, but also have other games they play. so i usually only get 2-3 games in a month prearranged and maybe 1 or 2 pick ups out of the blue. The only thing I ask for when it comes to pickup games is if they are using escalation, because then i need a slightly tweaked list to be able to fight off such huge monstrosities as baneblades and warhounds. stronghold hasnt crept up to me yet, but its only a matter of time.
Usually play at the local game store which is pretty chill, has about 5 boards in total that we can use, but usually only 1 or 2 are ever out.

steelmage99
01-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Pre arranged. Private setting.

Rissan4ever
01-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Candles. A glass of wine. A roaring fire.

namadio
01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Typically prearranged with friends or via local fcebook group. About 50-50split between home and flgs

Bowser
01-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately, random pick-up games are about the only thing I have time for as my schedule to very hectic. Of course, if I have a terrible experience with another gamer, I will simply decline future games. I would rather not play at all then play against an opponent I dislike.

The Madman
01-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Random games for the most part but I also do some pre-arranged and private games as well. though with the wave of tau-eldar lists I play more fantasy now which sucks (always been a sci-fi guy).

knighter
01-10-2014, 02:15 AM
Isn't there a drive to play him and destroy him? That whole arch-enemy type feel :)?

knighter
01-10-2014, 02:18 AM
As i'm fairly new, i've only done pre-arranged games, but as i'm getting to the point that it's hard to not beat my friends (i'm semi-throwing some games to make them atleast close...) i'd love to play in a tournament or a pick-up game setting, just cant really find any atm hehe.