PDA

View Full Version : IG plastic storm troopers coming out?

Inquisitor Gray
12-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know if the new IG models coming out with the mission suplement will include plastic storm troopers? I feel like every IG player would by them, so I am unsure why GW is taking so long to put them on the market.

Melissia
12-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know if the new IG models coming out with the mission suplement will include plastic storm troopers? I feel like every IG player would by them, so I am unsure why GW is taking so long to put them on the market.

As would the Inquisition players who use armies based off of Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (all five of them), but I don't think we've heard anything about this.

Lord Azaghul
12-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Actually I don't think they would rate very high on most IG players purchase priority. That just don't live up to expectations...
I thought I heard they're to be in the IG 2nd wave 2nd quarter next year.

Melissia
12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
The main reason that many people might use stormtrooper models is to model carapace armor vets, not to model stormtroopers.

Just_Me
12-15-2009, 12:22 PM
As would the Inquisition players who use armies based off of Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (all five of them), but I don't think we've heard anything about this.

As one of those five, I should warn you we are a proud though foolishly stubborn people. You would do well not to cross us! :D

I would think that if they materialize, they might be in the batch of new guard models that were mentioned as coinciding with the battles book at the beginning of next year. Personally I hope they use Kysrkins as the base for them, as I like the models, but I suppose I wouldn't really mind seeing revamped versions of the old models (even if I would then mhave to decide whether to replace my Inquisition Storm Troopers, pr my Imperial Guard Storm Troopers with the different models).

ColCorbane
12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
I asked Jervis back in may if they were doing plastic stormies, based on his facial expression, personally, I'd say they're definitely in process.

Inquisitor Gray
12-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I asked Jervis back in may if they were doing plastic stormies, based on his facial expression, personally, I'd say they're definitely in process.

I hope so. Though I have a difficulty understanding GW's model release schedule. I would think that they should release a plastic storm troopers kit during the first wave of new IG models. Even if people don't think the Glory Boys are a competitive unit, people seem to love veteran IG squads, and if they made a kit that could be used to make easy made vet squads, people would eat them up.

I'm sad to hear GW is wasting this 2nd way IG run on the Chimera and Basilisk. I do agree that the Chimiras are a bit harder to put together then the new Russ tanks, but I have never seen a game played with a Basilisk in it, and every game as a IG vet squad.

I am interested in knowing if people disagree with me, or if GW really is a bit strange with their priority.

Atrotos
12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Weren't the Inquisition codecies announced as being redone on BoLS a while back? That seems like the best bet for plastic storm troopers.

Lord Azaghul
12-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I\
I'm sad to hear GW is wasting this 2nd way IG run on the Chimera and Basilisk. I do agree that the Chimiras are a bit harder to put together then the new Russ tanks, but I have never seen a game played with a Basilisk in it, and every game as a IG vet squad.

I am interested in knowing if people disagree with me, or if GW really is a bit strange with their priority.

I sincerely hope that gw is wasting time putting out JUST new Chimera a bassie kits. I was the variants in the book. AND i DON"T want to pay 50$ buck for the 'new' chimera either! In fact I don't want to pay 40$. I'm getting sick of the price increase everytime they put a new model out!

ColCorbane
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
I sincerely hope that gw is wasting time putting out JUST new Chimera a bassie kits. I was the variants in the book. AND i DON"T want to pay 50$ buck for the 'new' chimera either! In fact I don't want to pay 40$. I'm getting sick of the price increase everytime they put a new model out!

I don't think we'll be getting any other variants. I guess that when the remade the chimera chassis for the hellhound, they made it to convert into an open topped platform (griffon, bassy, medussa, colossus etc). This new release doesn't require any new molds, just combine the new chimera with the old bassy cannon sprue.

It's an easy release for them. I also don't think we'll get any other variants because different guns would require quite a bit of plastic in comparison to the hellhound variants for example.

Just_Me
12-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I am still hoping for variants, even though I recognize that you are most likely right and we won't see them.

ColCorbane
12-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I am still hoping for variants, even though I recognize that you are most likely right and we won't see them.

So am I mate, I just don't think we'll see them this time round. Although, I imagine in the future we'll see them. It's going to be at least 4 years before we get a revamp to the codex, so there's plenty of time for third, fourth and fifth wave releases.

We're still waiting on plastic ratlings, stormtroopers, roughriders, hydras, griffons, ogryns, manticores, medusas and colossus's if the idea of an all plastic army is to believed.

Col.Gravis
12-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Given we saw a CAD of what is largely believed to be the Medusa Cannon back as far as last years UK GD I think it's reasonable to think the Medusa will be in the Baslisk kit, it only takes two new parts and would sell, anything further is real speculation though.

Just_Me
12-17-2009, 06:24 PM
So am I mate, I just don't think we'll see them this time round. Although, I imagine in the future we'll see them. It's going to be at least 4 years before we get a revamp to the codex, so there's plenty of time for third, fourth and fifth wave releases.

True, but we can dream...

We're still waiting on plastic ratlings, stormtroopers, roughriders, hydras, griffons, ogryns, manticores, medusas and colossus's if the idea of an all plastic army is to believed.

I would really like to see the artillery variants (and I think they may be in the pipe already) and some new rough-riders, but I don't foresee plastic ratlings or ogryns as we only just got the new metal models (which aren't half bad if we are being honest). Sadly I don't see guard getting an all plastic army before marines do.

ColCorbane
12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Given we saw a CAD of what is largely believed to be the Medusa Cannon back as far as last years UK GD I think it's reasonable to think the Medusa will be in the Baslisk kit, it only takes two new parts and would sell, anything further is real speculation though.

I remember those, so it's definitely in the pipeline but my gut tells me if GW had bundled a variant in with the kit, they'd have said so in GW, you know what they're like for blowing their own trumpet. Don't get me wrong, it'd be excellent if they did, I just don't think they will.

I would really like to see the artillery variants (and I think they may be in the pipe already) and some new rough-riders, but I don't foresee plastic ratlings or ogryns as we only just got the new metal models (which aren't half bad if we are being honest). Sadly I don't see guard getting an all plastic army before marines do.

Well, we can wish :)

Going back on topic, did anyone notice they included the classic storm troopers not kasrkin's in the guard vs nids pic on the inside front cover. This along with the lack of kasrkin's pics and the inclusion of art work of classic storm troopers in the codex make me thing that when we do get them, they're going to have the old style look.

Lord Anubis
12-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I would really like to see the artillery variants (and I think they may be in the pipe already) and some new rough-riders, but I don't foresee plastic ratlings or ogryns as we only just got the new metal models (which aren't half bad if we are being honest).

Ratlings, probably not, but the Ogryns aren't really that new.

Definitely no more than the metal Chaos Spawn or Possesed Marines were when they got replaced by plastic kits.

Aldramelech
12-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Id buy plastic Ogryns, plastic Storm Troopers? Na, I'll pass.

mysterex
12-23-2009, 02:12 AM
As one of those five, I should warn you we are a proud though foolishly stubborn people. You would do well not to cross us! :D

Hey, I'm another one of the five although I more often play one of my other armies.

Now I wonder if we can get the other three to identify themselves?

On a side note, I doubt that once a new Inquisitorial codex is released that the stormtrooper cost and rules will be identical to the current guard version. Firstly, the current guard version cost too much and so virtually no one is using them - I expect that this will be remedied. Secondly, the Special Operations make less sense for Inquisitorial Stormtroopers and, in my view, will be dropped or replaced with more appropriate alternatives.

RogueGarou
12-23-2009, 02:47 AM
Plastic Stormies would be nice. More variants would be nice. Plastic Ratlings? I don't know. I have my metal ones and don't see ever fielding more than one squad of them. I like my Rough Riders but I like them Attilan. I want them to get back all of their weapons but the new Codex fixed the worst flaws with them.

And in answer to the question about fielding a Basilisk... I have seen them in 5e but I have not used one yet. Prior to 5E, yeah, I fielded them regularly. But if I am reading things correctly, they took away the direct fire capability so the 36" minimum range moved them out of my list for standard games. A big Apocalypse table? Sure as sure my Bassies will roll out and lob some shells, though. For regular games, I think the Medusa is the way to go. More expensive but worth it.

Melissia
12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey, I'm another one of the five although I more often play one of my other armies.

Now I wonder if we can get the other three to identify themselves?

On a side note, I doubt that once a new Inquisitorial codex is released that the stormtrooper cost and rules will be identical to the current guard version. Firstly, the current guard version cost too much and so virtually no one is using them - I expect that this will be remedied. Secondly, the Special Operations make less sense for Inquisitorial Stormtroopers and, in my view, will be dropped or replaced with more appropriate alternatives.

That's assuming that inquisitorial stormtroopers will even exist in the codices. Which I would prefer they did not (I'd rather the Inquisition be given its own minidex so that I don't have to have that... stuff... in my Sisters codex).

col. krazy kenny
12-28-2009, 06:44 PM
A new chimera kit. big deal.i got rid of mine to the traitor guard.valks. are so much better especially vendettas. you peoples problem with the stormtroopers is you dont use enough of them. i field anywhere from20 plus, on the kasrkin thing, i dont know i only have 60 plus,I like the fact they raised the point cost i finally got a weapon i can hurt some marines with.Im stuck having to fight marines all the time and it got old real fast not having the proper ap to do anything with.But i cant wait on the new rough riders or the artillery kits. or penal legions, my last chancers really got the shaft in this new edition.

Melissia
12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Actually the main problem with stormtroopers is that one heavy flamer will nearly wipe the squad. Fun times! I enjoy utterly destroying stormie squads in a single round of shooting. It's fun seeing my opponent utterly waste all those points.

Vorlon
12-28-2009, 07:28 PM
I wanted to pick up some kasrkin at my local store a few weeks ago and they where out. I asked the owner when he'd be getting more in and he said there would be no point in ordering ordering the metal kasrkin because the plastic kits would be out "so soon"....just the words of a store owner but you never know.

Just my two cents.

col. krazy kenny
12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
First of all heavy flamers are no threat i always eliminate that stuff right away sniper rifle ,heavy weapons, artilllery. etc., you just wait until the thrid round and have the init., then its time for the air assult 3 gunships,take out the close threats, disembark shoot. but do not use unless you have the intiative. or in your rival players case toasty.your rival player must not be that experienced. i been playing 40 k since the rogue trader days and also i was in the us cavalery which helps. if you lived in ILL., i would love to play a game against you.

Papa Nurgle
12-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Make that SIX. :D

Anaximander
12-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Actually the main problem with stormtroopers is that one heavy flamer will nearly wipe the squad. Fun times! I enjoy utterly destroying stormie squads in a single round of shooting. It's fun seeing my opponent utterly waste all those points.

I did exactly that yesterday. Vulkan jumped out of a drop pod and crisped a whole squad. It was a classic example of not spacing your squad right!!

Melissia
12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
First of all heavy flamers are no threat i always eliminate that stuff right away sniper rifle ,heavy weapons, artilllery. etc.

No army has ever tabled my Sisters, and that's what you'd have to do to get rid of all my heavy flamers.

Necrosis
12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Trying to get rid of all the sisters heavy flamers will be a very hard task agaisn't a player who know what he or she is doing. First of all every squad will have one and each squad will be inside a rhino. Even if you destory the rhino they can spirit to gain a 3+ inv which can allow them to footslog.

tommox
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
there is a pic of the new storm troopers on the inside cover of the january white dwarf. unfortunately it looks like they're not plastic

tommox
01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
sorry not new. they're old. Am truly sorry and am highly embarrassed

david5th
01-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Plastic stormtroopers would be nice aslong as their in the Kasrkin style.

Aegis
01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Plastic stormtroopers would be nice aslong as their in the Kasrkin style.

I dunno... I think I would like a third option for storm troopers if they are making plastics. I mean, having a solid unified theme for their models (Cadian, for the most part) is nice, but to me, storm troopers should stand out, and with less affiliation to a single 'army' and more something that is unified throughout the Imperium.

LadasN
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd love to see either storm trooper variant done up in plastic. However, on reflection I'd probably want the older ones or a new 3rd variant, I love my current kasrkin metals and don't need any more than the 20 I currently own. A new form or old one in plastic would be really cool if they made it possible to use them as carapace veterans.

I know alot of people don't use the storm troopers as much as they used to, but I usually run two 10 man squads with 2 plasma guns or one 10 man unit. Stick them in valkeries, scout them forward at a high priority marine target and they can do some serious damage when they drop. I usually take out two or three squads with my stormies before they die, which buys some time for my foot sloggers to move up and take less fire than normal. However, if I know that marines arn't the majority army or I won't be playing against them I don't run any.

Aldramelech
01-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Goodbye

Bigred
01-18-2010, 10:38 AM
The BoLS frontpage pics are ancient. Those weapons were explained as being swappable so you could use the kit as either Stormtroopers, IG Veterans, and even Arbites with proper extra heads. But that was well over a year ago.

That kit has almost certainly been "in the can" awaiting a release slot for a while.

ColCorbane
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Personally, I reckon that they'll hold them back until the release of the new inquisition codex. Guard already have st's albeit metal, but they're available.

Since st's are troop choices for the inq. I reckon they'll hold them back so they've got a plastic troop choice for the codex release. It'd also fit with the idea of the waves releasing style GW has adopted recently, since they no longer release all the kits with the codex, so the st's could also count as a wave release for guard.

Just my opinion, not based on any fact whatsoever :)

Melissia
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Assuming they do have an aneurysm and decide to release an inquisition codex instead of a pair of good ones, that would make sense.

But I find it more likely that they're waiting for the Grey Knights codex that's been rumored for late this year / early next year.

ggg
02-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I've been told today by a staffer that the word is the plastic storm troopers / arbites will be released alongside the Inquisition codex. He also points to the grey knights pictured in the Planet strike book and observes that they are plastic grey knights as there are too many poses to be the current metal minis.

The codex is said to include xenos hunters with deathwatch kill teams.

Necrosis
02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I've been told today by a staffer that the word is the plastic storm troopers / arbites will be released alongside the Inquisition codex. He also points to the grey knights pictured in the Planet strike book and observes that they are plastic grey knights as there are too many poses to be the current metal minis.

The codex is said to include xenos hunters with deathwatch kill teams.

I find this hard to believe, since GW are suppose to keep their lips shut about stuff like this. On top of that to knowing that they are making plastic storm troopers before the codex is even announce seems even harder to believe. Regular and even managers don't know anything that coming out.

This looks a lot like a wish list.

Valkerie
02-17-2010, 09:06 AM
And in answer to the question about fielding a Basilisk... I have seen them in 5e but I have not used one yet. Prior to 5E, yeah, I fielded them regularly. But if I am reading things correctly, they took away the direct fire capability so the 36" minimum range moved them out of my list for standard games. A big Apocalypse table? Sure as sure my Bassies will roll out and lob some shells, though. For regular games, I think the Medusa is the way to go. More expensive but worth it.

This actually cme up at my LGS. The Basilisk CAN fire directly. The Griffon and Colossus state they can not fire directly, but there is no such statement for the Basilisk. Page 58 of the main rule book states the ordnance weapons can fire either directly or indirectly. If fired directly, they ignore the minimum range on the profile. Hope this helps.

RogueGarou
02-19-2010, 07:10 AM
This actually cme up at my LGS. The Basilisk CAN fire directly. The Griffon and Colossus state they can not fire directly, but there is no such statement for the Basilisk. Page 58 of the main rule book states the ordnance weapons can fire either directly or indirectly. If fired directly, they ignore the minimum range on the profile. Hope this helps.

Yep, I had already sussed that out. I was used to seeing the option for direct fire included in the profile and when I started looking, it wasn't there anymore so my first thought was... ouch, I guess my Basilisks need short barrels to represent Medusas. Then I started looking around the rest of the Codex and rulebook for additional insight. Thanks for the reply, sir.

Kesher
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM

They have not been seen on any order forms as of yet...

RedShift
02-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I would love to see plastic stormtroopers finally get released. Whether they will, though, is pie in the sky! A GW manager was telling me yesterday that people have seen them, and that they were most likely delayed for a Inq. codex release. I've not heard anyone describe the sprue or finished models though so these sightings seem quite unreliable to me. Fingers crossed though.

Melissia
02-28-2010, 10:49 AM
RedShift: We haven't heard any reliable rumors of an Inquistiion codex coming, just one Grey Knights codex late this year or early next year (likely next year), and then a Sisters codex coming "sooner than you think" to paraphrase the post.

So, it's something like:

Blood Angels, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, maybe Sisters after that.

Which would be nice, though I wonder if it will change.

Commissar Lewis
02-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm hoping for plastic Sisters. They'd be be cheaper than the metal ones, so I could continue building my Sisters army. Switched to Guard a while back due to budget constraints, which now looks like it was a blunder on my part. I switched back when Guardsmen came 20 to a box for $35.

TheBitzBarn
02-28-2010, 06:23 PM

They have not increased the Price every time the put out a new model.

And if you do not like it do not buy it :)

RedShift
03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
I would be more convinced on the plastic stormtrooper front if we had some reliable descriptions of the models, sprues, or anything much! I have a feeling those concept models we've seen floating around are for the current kasyrkin and aren't new figs at all.

archimbald
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
frankly i would use other non gw products as stormtroopers, such as PigIron models simply as they look cooler

RedShift
03-20-2010, 03:19 AM
Anyone think stormtroopers might be included in this latest 'wave' release in june? It's about time!

Vorlon
03-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Anyone think stormtroopers might be included in this latest 'wave' release in june? It's about time!

Sadly...I very much doubt it or there would be some indication from the rumor mill. Heres hoping though!!

Hunterkl5
09-19-2010, 06:36 AM
hey, guys just to let you know that on the demonhunters troop section there is an indicator to new stormtroopers coming out. And that is that the only model stormtrooper on the page is a sergeant, no squad!!!!

david5th
09-19-2010, 07:41 AM
hey, guys just to let you know that on the demonhunters troop section there is an indicator to new stormtroopers coming out. And that is that the only model stormtrooper on the page is a sergeant, no squad!!!!

Unfortunately they are still here -

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440248a&rootCatGameStyle=

Galadren
09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I use the Kasrkin models for my IST's, honestly. I hope they keep those out. That or makes another IG kit with those style helms.

Hunterkl5
09-21-2010, 12:05 PM
for a start read the actual post.
games workshop doesnt remove everything at once if they are going to bring a new kit out. what they do is keep some of the old miniatures in stock in case someone needs to despirately buy thos units.

Faultie
09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Let's take down the snide a bit, please?

Old_Paladin
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
games workshop doesnt remove everything at once if they are going to bring a new kit out. what they do is keep some of the old miniatures in stock in case someone needs to despirately buy thos units.

I believe his point was that every form of metal stormtrooper is still avalible to buy.
Poorly managed sections of a website do not neccesarily mean new releases anytime soon. They removed all the images from IG, Daemon Hunters and Witch Hunters for the repackaging, and didn't bother to put them back up on the 'underplayed' armies webpages.
I remember the hype about Sisters when the codex was taken down then put back up then taken down again, a year later we got a free pdf to replace it, in another year we'll likely get a 5th ed codex for them.

The fact that the 'plastic stormtrooper' images came out the same day as the digital concepts for the Valk; makes he think the idea with either trashed, or it was one of the many scultping practice runs they force the new guys to go through (the one-off's that never actually get released).

Drew da Destroya
09-21-2010, 09:25 PM

There's a flag on the post.... Unnecessary rudeness, 5 yards.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
09-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Dont be counting on new IG storm troopers anytime soon. Just because they gave them all new great shiny rules in the latest IG codex, doesnt mean you get your new troop straight away.. i mean your not talking about SM's here. Its not a priorty.
If it was a SM troop you'd already be buying them, painting and playing with them. GW wouldnt wait that long to bring something out for them.

Hey im already happy with the current version and Karskin troops, that what i use at the moment, and they look just fine for my Inquisitor Storm Troopers. But if they get to replace them with plastic, modular version for easy conversion and varied poses, id be happy to start another squad with those.

david5th
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM

I did, that's why i posted a reply.