PDA

View Full Version : New Tyranid - Basing ideas

jcroxford
12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm trying to come up with different way of giving these guys an "alien" looking base (slimy, tentacles, etc). Anyone have any ideas for a simple effective way to acheive this? Below is a test mini of my color scheme. for the nids, I'm going to give them a black carapace with red highlights.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/tm_brew/2009-12-13142958.jpg

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Some suggestions - for slime, use PVA glue to make the shape, then paint it with a gloss (like 'ard coat) for the slimey look. As for tentacles, the plastic chaos spawn kit has plenty.

Lerra
12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I saw some very alien looking bases that were made by putting a thick layer of wood glue on a base and then adding a drop of something to the wood glue. It causes a small chemical reaction, the glue curdles, and you end up with a very bizarre alien looking base. The end product almost looks like a pile of spaghetti with some bubbles and creepy bits. It was used to make Nurgle bases and looked awesome.

Does anyone remember this? I think it was either wood glue + rubbing alcohol or wood glue + super glue.

jcroxford
12-15-2009, 12:35 AM
I saw some very alien looking bases that were made by putting a thick layer of wood glue on a base and then adding a drop of something to the wood glue. It causes a small chemical reaction, the glue curdles, and you end up with a very bizarre alien looking base. The end product almost looks like a pile of spaghetti with some bubbles and creepy bits. It was used to make Nurgle bases and looked awesome.

Does anyone remember this? I think it was either wood glue + rubbing alcohol or wood glue + super glue.

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I'd love to hear how it is done.