PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Crazy Objectives...

Denzark
12-14-2009, 02:01 AM
OK bear with me...

My mucker says - I want to bring a 2k first company list - all terminators, dreads, stern/vanguard. No troops in the force org.

OK says I I'll have a think. Now what threat is big enough to bring out those bad boys? Aha. A 10 man Chaos Terminator Squad. However, half I used Wolf Guard for- these traitors were an objective big enough to merit 1st company.

So, we say - if it is objectives, they are worth D3 to him if dead, to me if any alive. If kill points, still D3. Then, we roll game - objectives and dawn of war. I roll to place 1st, and the unit was placed as an objective Then, the madness. He rolled for first turn and one, and chose the table edge my poor treacherous boyos had gone into cover on. (this'll be quick thinks I).

So none of his units come on - he can walk on and assault first turn. I place my HQ (M le Abaddon) bang on the centre line - hopefully he can get in to beef them up. then - oh miracle of miracle, my Chaos dice which gives me so much trouble, comes up trumps - I win the initiative. To cut a long story short the sternguard combi plasma imp turn 1, is insufficient to kill them all. They mount a fighting withdrawal through my lines (OK they ran away hell for leather, whilst 3 man oblit squads home in on their icon and form screens around them). A lash prince is sending the enemy backwards away from them as quick as he can, after having pulled a sternguard combat squad into a nice firing squad in front of my 5 plasma chosen.

In the end, the traitor wolves linked up with a landraider - they were only 5 in number by then so hopped on, and preceded to drive around at max chat in the direct opposite from an Ironclad, hoping that the terminators left would not rollthe 6's then 6's necessary to powerfist a landraider to a halt.

Now, I don't mean to give a battle report here. But this was one of the most fun games we had both had for a while (Any fantasy wants to say there were no tactics here when I was withdrawing from contact a la a 1980s fighting recce screen in front of the 3rd Russian Shock Army can blow goats).

So being lazy and to finally get to my point does anyone have any ideas for crazy objectives?????

Cheers All

Aldramelech
12-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Ahh the Fulda Gap, Happy days.............

Cryl
12-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Not quite sure if this is in the spirit of the thread but it's similar so...

we're planning an apocalypse game based around the Shadowsword formation that was in White Dwarf a while back... basically the formation is a shadowsword with up to 6 (iirc) russes and assorted sentinels. The premise is that the sentinels and russes are effectively there only to protect the superheavy and so you can take any damage result on the superheavy as a destroyed result on a russ and any destroyed russ as a destroyed sentinel. The idea is, similar to your game, to get the shadowsword off the other side of a long(ish) board. To keep it interesting we'll have valks with vets coming in to protect the convoy and possibly marines in pods as well.

It's proving a little tricky to balance against Tau and Eldar though but we're working on it.

Denzark
12-14-2009, 02:41 AM
This sounds quality are you using 'Ambush' from the Main Book?

Cryl
12-14-2009, 02:54 AM
This sounds quality are you using 'Ambush' from the Main Book?

We're planning on using a weird combination of rules actually, Apocalypse style deployment for the xenos as they're ambushing the convoy, standard 40k 12" in type deployment for the convoy and then 40k reserve rules for the imperial forces that come to assist. The biggest issue we're coming up against is the fire power that Tau and Eldar can bring to the party... even with allied Imperial forces coming in to relive the convoy the bottom line is that all the Xenos have to do is kill the shadowsword and that's not all that hard with railguns to pop a russ or sentinel every shot. It's all theory craft at the moment so perhaps a few play tests will show the reality although if anyones got any ideas they'd be appreciated (although that might be thread hijacking a little bit!)

Denzark
12-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Yes but how many turns, some vehicles popping smoke, structure points on the sword, maybe an Admech for repairs ... Don't think it will be that easy...

Cryl
12-14-2009, 04:29 AM
Yes but how many turns, some vehicles popping smoke, structure points on the sword, maybe an Admech for repairs ... Don't think it will be that easy...

Fair point but imagine 9 broadsides putting railguns into the shadowsword each turn for 6 turns, that's a decent amount of damage before you factor in any other greater goodness or tricksy space elves that are going to be thrown at the convoy... the bit I'm struggling with is making the scenario more than just an exercise in how quickly xenos forces can destroy a number of imperial vehicles. Perhaps there should be side objectives as well that either side can capture in the regular 40k objective game style, that would take away from the singular nature of the game and lend itself nicely to the 'lots of small fronts' nature of apocalypse games... good idea thanks :P

Other objective type missions we've played used a Tau AA battery with several gun positions spread around the board in trees protected by small squads of fire warriors and larger squads of kroot. Marines drop podding in and a devilfish with firewarriors coming on as Tau reserves. The marine force had to knock out as many AA guns as possible by either melta bombing them or meltagunning them (AV13 all round immobilised vehicles that any pen would destroy). 3 of 5 guns meant a draw with less meaning a Tau victory and more a marine victory. The plan was that the result would feed into a later campaign scenario that made it more or less easy for marine reserves to arrive.

Another idea we've toyed about with but never done was an Exodite Eldar planet with webway gates that need protecting and can bring reinforcements on. The idea was to treat the gate itself much like a titan, reasonable armour but also repairable void shields with Imperial super heavy armour / titans as the major assault force. We just don't have enough Eldar between us to do this one justice though

Denzark
12-14-2009, 05:13 AM
I like the AA guns I may have to steal... As for rail guns I thought you said destroyed results could be dolled out to the tanks? What about 1 victory point for each tank destroyed or for the defenders, escapes off the table, but 3 for the sword?

Duke
12-14-2009, 10:33 AM
I have been known to run a sunstorm squadron when I play apoc Eldar. I have to say that if anyone brought one of those formations, the game is over... You may want to limit what formations/ unit could be taken, if simply to preserve the spirit of the game.

Duke

Lerra
12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I played a large team Apoc game a few weeks ago. One of the first shots fired was a railgun against a Baneblade - one shot with a penetrating hit and a series of chain reactions. The Baneblade exploded 12" and killed 1200 points of guardsmen and his allies, along with 500 points of drop pods which had just hit the table (the drop pods were allied with the Tau player). Talk about a golden BB.

/randomstory

Subject Keyword
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
My friends and made a miniature of "Smilin' Bob" the Enzyte guy running around looking panicked.
He was toughness 3, moved 5d6 inches in a random direction every turn, had eternal warrior, a 3+ invulnerable save, and 20 wounds. The first to murder him won the game. Good times...
Even Terminators hate Smilin' Bob.

http://www.whattofix.com/images/SmilingBob.jpg