PDA

View Full Version : DA - Rad shell

PRoeske
12-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

I've been wondering about the following.

The Ravenwing Grenade Launcher has a shell called 'Rad Shell':

Every model in a unit hit by one or more rad shells suffers a -1 penalty to their Toughness until the end of the turn (this can affect the victim's Instant Death treshold).

Now, it seems obvious to me that, whenever you shoot with a unit of 6 Black Knights (2 grenads launchers) at some target, this target only loses 1 point of T, regardless of whether you roll 1 or 2 hits.

But what happens if I shoot with a second unit of 6 Black Knights (2 grenade launchers) at the same target? Will those new hit(s) again lower the T by 1?

I'd say it depends how you read the 'one or more rad shells' part of the ruling. Does this apply for resolving the effect of each shooting, or is this part carried over until the end of the turn?

Personally i'm feeling towards the part where a new units scores new hits it will lower the T by 1 again, but not sure about it.

Cheers,

Pim

jeffersonian000
12-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Per the FAQ and the BRB page 32, the effects of Rad Shells are not cumulative, so multiple uses of Rad Shells on the same target will only ever net a single -1 T modifier. However, also per the BRB page 32, Rad Shells do stack with Enfeeble and Rad Grenades. A -3 T is well worth the setup of that nasty combo. Might lose some friends, though.

SJ

Haighus
12-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Per the FAQ and the BRB page 32, the effects of Rad Shells are not cumulative, so multiple uses of Rad Shells on the same target will only ever net a single -1 T modifier. However, also per the BRB page 32, Rad Shells do stack with Enfeeble and Rad Grenades. A -3 T is well worth the setup of that nasty combo. Might lose some friends, though.

SJ
Not just friends! That instantly kills most Guard, Tau or Eldar infantry. :D

PRoeske
12-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks for pointing me to page 32. Completely missed that one :).

Cheers,

Pim

DarkLink
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Has it been hit by one of more rad genades? If yes, -1t. If no, then no effect.

Neither of those options result in -2T, so there's the answer. Or I guess you could look at the faq, too.

Serenapth
01-01-2014, 03:58 AM
Not just friends! That instantly kills most Guard, Tau or Eldar infantry. :D

Isn't there a minimum toughness of 1, main rule book, no stat can be zero? So not instant kill....

DWest
01-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Actually, it's the other way around, as per BRB, page 3, right side, 2nd block of text: "If at any point, a model's Strength, Toughness, or Wounds are reduced to 0, it is removed from play as a casualty." Quite frankly, if a unit of Ravenwing Black Knights, a Librarian, and a Grey Knight squad with grenade caddy all gang up on a 3-toughness unit, they're dead anyway, so this just saves a bit of time.

chicop76
01-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Actually, it's the other way around, as per BRB, page 3, right side, 2nd block of text: "If at any point, a model's Strength, Toughness, or Wounds are reduced to 0, it is removed from play as a casualty." Quite frankly, if a unit of Ravenwing Black Knights, a Librarian, and a Grey Knight squad with grenade caddy all gang up on a 3-toughness unit, they're dead anyway, so this just saves a bit of time.

Ensemble with rad is rather good considering you have strength 7 weapons. That means you can instant kill toughness 5 models and lower and wound T7 models or lower on 2s. If you have a melta that is instant killing T6 models and if you can cough up strength ten you can instant kill as high as T7. Which means you can possibly instant kill most models in the game unless they have Eternal Warrior or T8 or higher.

Lackeylsk
01-04-2014, 01:06 AM

Maledictions cannot reduce a units Toughness below 1. So No matter how it is stacked they stop at 1 Toughness. Because the power would have no effect if other things reduce them to 2.

Even if you were to Use enfeeble first... once the other two items hit.. the enfeeble no longer will have an effect. So to be correct models can still only be dropped to 1 Toughness.

But you can drop a T6 Creature to T3

PRoeske
01-04-2014, 03:36 AM
@Darklink,
It's not mentioned in the FAQ.

DarkLink
01-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Someone mentioned an FAQ. Regardless, as I said, it doesn't stack.