PDA

View Full Version : A Long Term "Conquest type" mode for a group of friends? Help Please

knighter
12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey guys so i'm wondering kind of an odd question, but maybe someone in here can help me out? I remember once back in the day hearing about a conquest type of game mode, where it's basically a long term style of game that you play with like 4 people or something (like me and my 3 friends who live near me) that sometimes lasts multiple weeks, including like "buying" new units as reinforcements and stuff like that.

Anyone know something similar? or even a long term type scenario me and a few buddies could play?

New Post by me: Ya what me and the 4-6 guys were wanting to do is a sort of "campaign" thing over a few weeks (maybe even couple months), since we all roomates/students. What we were kinda wanting to do is something like...

The point of below is to 1. See if you guys know of any mode like this out already? and 2. If you don't know of one, maybe giving us some more ideas/commenting on our current ones! :D Thanks so much guys!

1. Everyone starts 700~ points
2. Some way to receive currency (maybe some from killing units and some from somehow getting a currency? We thought of maybe capturing items that randomly spawn on the battlefield each turn and returning them to a "base" for money, or controlling certain points give us money/turn?)
3. Each player has a sort of "home base" that is a like fortified fortress which gives a bunch of defensive bonuses and to win you kill another players "home base"
4. We want this to play out for awhile :)

Thanks ^_^

Random question I know

knighter
12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Bump anyone?

Mr Mystery
12-30-2013, 05:01 PM
It's pretty common.

Can be narrative or open.

Essentially, starts at say 750 points (which is usually around a Battle Force plus toys), and goes up periodically in set points blocks (250 jump is likewise pretty common).

Let's people ease into either a new game or a new army.

SON OF ROMULOUS
12-30-2013, 05:57 PM
If you wanted to put in a little more effort into it doing map based with representations is always awesome. if you wanted to turn it into a long term campaign doing it one planet at a time fighting for control is always a cool thing to do. only thing i will advise if either set up a pseudo gm or make sure players are actually taking the time to keep track of losses as well as additions. some people don't do well with book work.

knighter
12-31-2013, 02:59 AM
Ya what me and the 4-6 guys were wanting to do is a sort of "campaign" thing over a few weeks (maybe even couple months), since we all roomates/students. What we were kinda wanting to do is something like...

The point of below is to 1. See if you guys know of any mode like this out already? and 2. If you don't know of one, maybe giving us some more ideas/commenting on our current ones! :D Thanks so much guys!

1. Everyone starts 700~ points
2. Some way to receive currency (maybe some from killing units and some from somehow getting a currency? We thought of maybe capturing items that randomly spawn on the battlefield each turn and returning them to a "base" for money, or controlling certain points give us money/turn?)
3. Each player has a sort of "home base" that is a like fortified fortress which gives a bunch of defensive bonuses and to win you kill another players "home base"
4. We want this to play out for awhile :)

SON OF ROMULOUS
12-31-2013, 11:51 AM
well if thats what your gearing towards you might want to consider the possabilityof buying 1-2 of either the fantasy or 40k hex tile maps. there liek 50$ or so. they need to be painted but as long as you don't glue them together you can always paint both sides of the tiles and make alternate planets. army counter's work. what you could do is each counter represents a particular force. so you could have force a be 500-1000 points led by a sm captain force b is 500 points and led by a chaplain force c is 750 and lead by a librarian ect. now this aspect gives you the option to model tokens or simply take an empty pace place a space marine banner an ork totem ect on it and that will be the physical representation of a particular force as it moves about the planet.

I will say i strongly suggest you all sit down and come up with an agreed upon rule set. and also if you find that something has unbalanced the campaign do not be afraid to change it but make sure everyone agrees to change it. I would say if you can find a copy the generals compendium from warhammer gives a highly detailed campaign system that with some effort could be converted over to 40k. they even have charts for what happens to characters in battles. so if you have an ork commander who you beat down perhaps he loses an eye or an arm. granted this is 40k so he can always get a replacement lol but still for a turn or 2 until a suitable replacement has been fashioned you have a commander with less bs/ws or toughness or a less attack it becomes pretty sweet if you have people willing to put in the work and effort to do so.

knighter
12-31-2013, 02:01 PM
thanks so much! will look into this! Any other comments welcome from others!

Anakzar
12-31-2013, 02:56 PM
I played this with 4 people and it went well took several days. You might find some ideas in it that you can use.

Each player will start with a 2500 point single force org. army. If allies are used they must work within a single force org. i.e. 2 total HQ between the allies; 3 elite etc.. Once a unit or part of a unit is lost and not recovered, its gone for the rest of the game.

The 2500 points can be split up into Battle groups any way the owning player sees fit. Battle groups will pick a nominal leader who must be the model with highest Ld. If no model has Ld in the battle group then there is no leader.

Battle groups will then move about on a Hex map. There are several areas in the middle of map with a black border these are where the Campaign Objective is located. As players move the location of that battle group will be marked on board. This is to be blind so players will mark down what is in each battle group of their army, and can split or recombine at will. Everything must be documented on paper.

Once players cross into one of the black bordered zones they will also draw from the tiles for that zone. One will be marked with the Campaign Objective. Other tiles will be marked with helpful bonuses or possible dangers. (Toxic: one unit takes D6 str6 hits; Bad Terrain: -1 to hex movement(if fight all movement is treated as difficult terrain); Reinforcements: Pick a lost unit or a damaged unit and put them back to full str; Allies: You gain a set amount of points to put towards allies)

Once the relic has been revealed the revealing player will set up on a board as with the Relic mission. And have to get to the relic then get it all the way off the board(note relic can only move 6” per turn) to be able to move it to next hex. (this will give others time to attempt to steal it)

3 turns on board will be Equal to one movement on Hex map. Movement on hex map will be between 1 and 4 depending on slowest unit in that battle group. For every 6" on board a unit can move, it will be able to move one Hex. Only the movement during the move Phase is counted. Plus 1 hex if have scouts, infiltrate or some forms of deep strike, not cumulative. Example infantry 1 hex, Jump infantry 2 hexes, Bikes = 2 hexes, Scout bikes 3 hexes, flyers 4 hexes, Scouts 2 hexes.

Battles will be annihilation with set up depending on what direction each battle group is coming from. Except if the Relic is involved. Facing will be determined by the first army to deploy(roll off if two ore more armies arrive on same Hex-map turn) the first player will choose a long table edge, terrain will be set up to match what is on the Hex map.

It is acceptable to run from a fight if it makes tactical sense. If a unit leaves the board from any edge it is considered in the adjoining Hex (counting as loser for recover purposes).

Winning units over 3/4 left can recover to full count on a roll of 2+, losing units over 3/4 left recover to full count on 3+. Winning units over 1/2 left recover to 3/4 on 3+ while losing recover to 3/4 left on 4+. Winning units over 1/4 left recover to 1/2 left 4+ while losing over 1/4 left recover 1/2 left on 5+. Winning units under 1/4 recover to 1/4 on 5+, losing under 1/4 recover to 1/4 on 6+ (add +1 for any doc(painboys, Apoticary ect) types in battle group).

Vehicles can be repaired if there is a unit that can effect repairs in the battle group. They have to remain stationary, A roll of 1 means something can't be fixed in the field, randomize it.

Troops arriving after the board is set up will use reserves and can deep strike if they have that. They will arrive from the side that they come from on Hex map... So could be coming in from short sides or long or a corner depending on what facing.

Units with Flight or Acute senses will be able to see into bordering Hexes( for both the Relic and armies) Owning players will be forced to reveal, to the Unit's player only, what part if his army is in that hex.

This was the rough draft and we did tweak it abit when it was played but you get the idea.