PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen 2500 - Free Bastilidons for All!

Learn2Eel
12-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Hey guys, my local GW was hosting a post-Christmas giffle and I actually ended up winning a Lizardmen Bastilidon (with no instructions, so I'm waiting to buy a second one before I assemble it)! Now, this is actually pretty amusing as my next Fantasy army was either going to be Dark Elves or Lizardmen. I was originally leaning much more towards Dark Elves and had even finalized an army list, but with a free $90 model, I've been coerced into the Lustrian Army. I'm going to post up two army lists, one meant to be competitive, and the other to be more fun and awesome to look at. The only restriction for either list is that they had to include Bastilidons, after all, I'm not going to waste a free $90 model! Cheers for any input!

Competitive 2500

Lords - 445
Slaan Mage Priest w/ becalming cogitation, harmonic convergence, focus of mystery, channeling rod - 445 (apparently this is the cookie-cutter Slaan build?)

Heroes - 90
Skink Priest w/ dispel scroll - 90 (is the cube better?)

Core - 640
Saurus Warriors (30) w/ spears, full command - 360 (I drop Champion if I want to just meet minimum Core, spears or hand weapons?)
Skink Skirmishers (10) w/ javelins and shields
Skink Skirmishers (10) w/ javelins and shields (switched back after a thought lol)

Special - 704
Temple Guard (26) w/ full command, banner of eternal flame - 404 (is 26 enough? should i go 36 and make them a horde as they are definitely my best combat unit?)
Bastilidon w/ solar engine - 150
Bastilidon w/ solar engine - 150

Rare - 620
Ancient Stegadon w/ no upgrades (do these really need the sharpened horns or are they ok without them?)
Ancient Stegadon w/ no upgrades
Salamander Hunting Pack (1)
Salamander Hunting Pack (1)

Total - 2499

So this is a pretty standard competitive Lizardmen list, albeit minus the two obligatory "Cowboys", two Terradon/Ripperdactyl units, and one more Ancient Stegadon than normal. The lack of Cowboys is an issue, but their places are taken by Bastilidons that should be helpful with their Solar Engine bound spells. Instead of the Terradon units, I get an extra Ancient Stegadon, a Champion on the Saurus Warriors, and the Banner of Eternal Flame on the Temple Guard. I'm not sure if it is a good trade or not, as the war machine hunting/chaff clearing capabilities of two units of three Terradons is crazy good. Thoughts? The Slaan is pretty typical, Loremaster High allows him to swap out spells as necessary, he re-rolls his first failed dispel attempt each phase, and he channels three dice on a 5+. The big question I have is the decision between spears and hand weapon/shields for Saurus. I've looked online and apparently spears get a 33% damage boost and a 17% survivability decrease, so I'm thinking those might be better. Also, are Javelins better for Skink Skirmishers, or Blowpipes? Apparently now that they are free people are switching to Javelins, especially with Quick to Fire.

EDIT: I'm not taking the "Cowboys" because of personal preference. I just don't really like the idea behind them, personally. Besides, the Bastilidons take up a handful less points so they are more or less a straight swap.

"Fun" List 2500

Lords - 456
Saurus Oldblood w/ armour of destiny, dawnstone, great weapon, mounted on Carnosaur w/ loping stride - 456

Heroes - 398
Saurus Scar Veteran w/ battle standard, light armour, enchanted shield, talisman of preservation, spear, mounted on Carnosaur w/ loping stride - 398

That was the basis of the "fun" list, obviously I'm going to put in two Skink Priests, one with Beasts and one with Heavens (or maybe both Beasts?) and one a level 2 (probably the Heavens one), having both a dispel scroll and cube of darkness as Lizardmen is really good magic defence even without a level four. The Oldblood build really surprised me, that 4+ scaly skin allows me to get a 1+ re-rollable armour save AND a 4+ ward save on a monster mount, something I thought was impossible. Pair that up with five Strength 7 attacks from the Oldblood, and five Strength 7 attacks from the Carnosaur, and that is one ridiculously strong and scary Lord choice that is also incredibly hard to shift. I'm not really too happy with the Scar Veteran build, but given that I really need to get as many defences I can for the BSB and....he's mounted on a darned Carnosaur, I don't think it is too shabby.

Any suggestions from here for the "fun" list? The two Carnosaurs are non-negotiable, I know they aren't the best of units rules-wise, but the models are just amazingly good. I'm staying the heck away from Troglodons though, I'm not too big a fan of their model and their rules are just horrendous. Should I go monster-mash with two Bastilidons, minimum Core and two Ancient Stegadons? Or is there another build that might work with two Carnosaurs? Again, cheers for any input!

MAVV
12-29-2013, 10:50 PM
That Carnosaur idea sounds great! Those things are tough beasties, despite what the internet wisdom might tell you. I had my Bloodthirster thrash around it for three full turns before dying (crazy amount of flubs, but still) and it held it's own. The sharpened horns upgrade really helps for a counter-punch tactic. Get something big and nasty to smash against your saurus, who will hold because they always do no matter what, and get all those juicy impact hits on the flank. Utterly devastating, let me tell you.

As per the shields/spears, I would say shields. Saurus are an anvil with teeth, and by helping them survive more, you make them that much better at being what they are. This is all coming from my experience, learning how to play against Lizards since I first started with WFB, and how to beat them. :P

Another thing, there has been numerous occasions where the entire unit of Temple Guard blew up because of a nasty miscast. Tons of free points for me, especially since they're expensive. My Lizard friend has started just taking the ethreal upgrade and sticking him, alone, behind or beside a unit for the 4+ look-out sir roll. Pretty darn effective without giving me free points.