PDA

View Full Version : 40K Global Campaign in the Works?

Bigred
12-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Tasty Taste over at Blood of Kittens has the scoop.

Here's the juicy bit:

Word is coming in that Independent Retailers will be given details on Global Campaign for players to run. With recent job openings for more online and digital staff it looks like GW is moving back to its roots with an Eye of Terror campaign for a new generation.

All the rest is here. (http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2013/12/27/rumor-it-games-workshop-global-campaign-coming-soon/) Go give tasty some love and come back and tell us what you think and would want this time around.

eldargal
12-28-2013, 01:28 AM
I hope the narrative element is handled better than the last couple of times. If it happens, that is.

ChacoStylez
12-28-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm actually looking forward to it, if the rumours are true, never been a part of one, and I finally have an army to participate with!

Bigred
12-28-2013, 01:53 AM
13th Black Crusade was so cool.

I remember logging into the sector maps every day to see the daily summaries.

Kudos to the Chaos command staff - those guys had their act together.

Good thing the ace Battlefleet Gothic players were all Imperials, or it would have been a complete CSM rout.

Such fun times!

Wildeybeast
12-28-2013, 04:39 AM
So there's going to be a new global campaign and a new 40k ruleset in the summer. Oh and maybe Warhammer 9th too. Nope, sorry, not for me. As the article says, I could see a bundled rules compendium released alongside a low maintenance website where you upload results. That would keep the frothing 40K masses sated (hopefully) whilst Warhammer gets the focus for a few months over the summer. I'd like a narrative based campaign, but the last few they have done have not been and given they seem to have retconned both universes to ignore the results of the previous narrative campaigns, then I don't see them doing another one.

Lexington
12-28-2013, 05:24 AM
I hope the narrative element is handled better than the last couple of times.
Yup. The 13th Black Crusade was fun and all, but as something that was supposed to be the big, universe-shaking event that heralded 40K's Endgame, the whole thing felt...disjointed, narratively, especially with the strange distance between ground/void results that BigRed mentioned. It came off as small and circumstantial, rather than the War to End All Wars. Plus, of course, there was Storm of Chaos, which no one wants to repeat.

It'd be nice if they ran something more akin to Armageddon III, which often gets remembered for the misreporting shenanigans and outright cheating that occurred on many players' end, but was much more of a coherent and engaging narrative experience, IMO. If you go back and look at the archive, it's surprising how much of the background from the campaign looms large in the current understanding of the universe.

SadisticMagician
12-28-2013, 12:15 PM
what happened with Storm of Chaos? I remember finding the narrative leading up to the event pretty engaging

sgtpjbarker
12-28-2013, 12:17 PM
The recent back stories on the data slates have me eager for this re-boot. I really think this is going to going on for fantasy too.

Mr Mystery
12-28-2013, 12:28 PM
what happened with Storm of Chaos? I remember finding the narrative leading up to the event pretty engaging

Archaon knacks Valten

Grimgor beats the snot out of Archaon.

Valten murdered by Skaven/Empire, depending on how you read twixt lines.

Mannfred secures Sylvania, and demands stuff.

It was pretty cool!

bladenkrath
12-28-2013, 01:21 PM
The Green Kroosade!

Lord-Boofhead
12-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah! I destroyed a planet in the 13 Black Crusade.....

SadisticMagician
12-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Archaon knacks Valten

Grimgor beats the snot out of Archaon.

Valten murdered by Skaven/Empire, depending on how you read twixt lines.

Mannfred secures Sylvania, and demands stuff.

It was pretty cool!

Oh I remember now, there was some cool story stuff of Archaon thinking he'd won and was the biggest baddest ever, then Grimgor came along and handed his *** to him. Satisfying stuff.

RGilbert26
12-29-2013, 04:08 AM
Don't forget the French were all a bunch of Vampires, thought that was funny.

daboarder
12-29-2013, 04:42 AM
so long as the story is better than medusa, with its ridiculous, "we must have a reason for everyone to come to the party" concept I'm down.

Think about it, the biggest, most definitive events in 40k, those that have shaped the background and the setting itself are usually the big campaigns.

Ichar 4
Armageddon 3
13 Black Crusade

love em all

Lord-Boofhead
12-30-2013, 01:55 PM
so long as the story is better than medusa, with its ridiculous, "we must have a reason for everyone to come to the party" concept I'm down.

With you on that I'd argue that Ichar IV was the best as they didn't try and shoe horn in to many factions it was all like sorry Chaos, Orks and Squats (it was 2nd ed before the Crons were even a thing) you don't an Invite to this party only Imperial forces, Eldar, 'Nids and 'Stealer Cults get to play....

Eye of Terror at least gave the extreanious forces something to do, except Dark Eldar who worked for Chaos for no good reason.

The otherwise perfect Armageddon III was done a disservice by shoe horning in Chaos and the Nids. At least The Crons and the 2 Eldar could have been used better as forces manipulating events for their own aims....