PDA

View Full Version : Wild West IG

Disgruntled_Viking
12-11-2009, 04:58 PM
After a long and tiresome break from 40k (6-months due to work) I'm starting up a IG army but I've decided to have it be of Wild Western flavor. I've been thinking and figured some models are easily done (Rough Riders have no need to be even converted) but a lot of the other squads are going to be tougher. Any good ideas on what models I could use to have a good wild-west look?

Herald of Nurgle
12-11-2009, 06:14 PM
- Use hats, d00d.
- Pistoliers can be used to convert up stuff like sergeants I guess
- Steam Tanks/old fashioned tanks to make up trails.

Other than that, my Britishness fails to see what can be done.

Ssyrie
12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately, nothing from GW really fits the wild west look. Jeans and cowboy hats apparently didn't make it the the 40th millennium. Western mini's aren't even very common among other miniature companies.

Your best bet would be to break out the green stuff and start sculpting parts, if not entire miniatures. Make some molds and start casting.

Skeletay
12-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Try black scorpion miniatures

agproductions
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Foundry miniatures has a very large selection of Wild West style miniatures from sheriffs to banditos, undertakers to injuns.

You can find all of them here: http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/OW/white.asp

Enjoy!

fuzzbuket
12-12-2009, 04:11 AM
wasnt there some western catchacans in the 4th ed rulebook under kill-team and in the last chancers?

what about western steampunk
for the foot sloggers a greatcoat and hat could be cool
tanks could be like the maccrage land train (GW website) or walkers?

please post piccis:D

Aldramelech
12-12-2009, 04:34 AM
How about a 7th Cavalry theme?

travinius
12-12-2009, 03:29 PM
i've seen neat things done with the bretonnian archers and men-at-arms along a WWI theme. Were you to forego the head and WWI style helmet the bodies could easily resemble duster-clad frontiersmen. Also green stuff would be invaluable for hats or headgear. I like the 7th cav idea too, you could really have fun with civil war era themes as well. In that regard a mordian or two could be turned into something cool in a pinch!

gwensdad
12-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Here's an idea if you don't mind using non-GW (but still GW influenced). The Perry twins have a series of 28mm plastic civil war miniatures that I've thought of using myself (with a little mods and adding 40K weapons) as part of a guard army. They're at http://www.perry-miniatures.com/.

Disgruntled_Viking
12-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Awesome, I figured regardless of the models I use a hefty amount of green stuff will be required. I'm gonna need a assembly line of cowboy-hats being made to keep up the demand for all of the guardsmen.

Disgruntled_Viking
12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I like the idea of the 7th Calvary, I wanted them to be a fast-mobile force so it would fit perfectly, thanks for the idea. For the soldiers I think the Cadian's without the helmets could be good 'New Guys' (cowboys hats included ofcourse) while Catachans painted right with some hats and dusters could pass as the more veteran guys, who due to constant fighting has lost their jackets and their hats are now rough and torn.

Aldramelech
12-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Dont forget you can have Indian Scouts to.......

Denzark
12-14-2009, 05:16 AM
I like the idea of the 7th Calvary, I wanted them to be a fast-mobile force so it would fit perfectly, thanks for the idea. For the soldiers I think the Cadian's without the helmets could be good 'New Guys' (cowboys hats included ofcourse) while Catachans painted right with some hats and dusters could pass as the more veteran guys, who due to constant fighting has lost their jackets and their hats are now rough and torn.

Are you going to play them fluff wise and only take on enemies 10 times stronger than you without any recce and have the boss use his brevet rank from a previous war, with his entire command squad full of family???

Disgruntled_Viking
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh you better believe this army is gonna be a fluff-oriented one, little Timmy has been training with his old rifle a lot (Bodyguard), plus Marth is pretty good with bandages (Medic).

I've gotta start a Apoc. force just so I can used The Good (Company Commander), The Bad (Lord Commissar) and The Ugly (Primaris Psyker). I'm grabbing a box of Cadians and Catachan troops with a pack of green stuff later to start modeling them all up. Hopefully have them finished up soon

fuzzbuket
12-15-2009, 01:46 AM
from my experiance:
Dont do an Apoc force it gets you on the gw train of BUY BUY BUY BUY
why dont you do little 500pts BUY MODEL PAINT
then BUY MODEL PAINT
ect
(sorry but on dakka the apoc thread was show your unopend boxes+unpainted minis thread:mad::eek::()
-Fuzzbuket

Disgruntled_Viking
12-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Agreed, Apoc. looks fun and someday I might get into if I acquire that many troops through natural army building but as of now, I just have no cash/time. I might include the three of them for a ****s-n-Giggles type of game with friends if nothing else.

SombreBrotherhood
12-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Some good trenchcoat/duster minis are in the Delaque gang from Necromunda, and they've got lasrifle/shotgun options to make your life a tad easier.

OnFyre
12-18-2009, 04:45 PM
How about you only give hats to Sergeants and above? Higher ranks could be indicated by bigger hats, or badges on them.

And you NEED to take some Kroot allies.