PDA

View Full Version : Nurgle Lord WIP - Sammael falls

Desmond Kenny
12-24-2013, 03:51 AM
Hello all

This is a series of firsts for me - it's my first time posting here for a start. This is also my first attempt at using green stuff and the first time I bought a model with the express purpose of chopping it up :)

I wanted to make a really strong looking Nurgle Lord on a Bike, and I really wanted it to stand out as a centerpiece. I thought Sammael was an ideal candidate as his Jetbike was nice and sturdy - I was looking for a model that showed toughness with (a bit of) speed. The cloak was also ideal. At first I was going to add tracks to it, but then looking at my other army I had a better idea. More on that later....

For now, here's the start of the project. I removed the plasma canon and all space marine details and trimmings (apart from some skulls). I also removed Sammael's head, which was kinda fun, and replaced it with a helmed chaos warrior's head. I've added chaos bolters and a trophy spike, as well as a Skaven banner. The horn is from Warriors of chaos also, but was removed later.

I removed Sammael's sword and replaced it with a combination of a chain-sword handle and the flail from a Flagellant (to use as a Black Mace).

Next, I'll show how he really graduated to centerpiece status...

Desmond Kenny
12-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Next step was to raid the Tyranid bits box...

A few of my plague marines have Tyranid mutations, so this fits really well.

Fitting the legs was a little tricky, but not too bad with some fitting cuts and the help of some green stuff.

The real challenge was getting them all level. The trick in the end was to use a flying base to get them all to set... a bit of a risk to leave overnight...

But a success!

In the end, one of the rear legs had to be raised and re-glued, but this gave the model a bit more of a dynamic look. All of the other 7 legs are perfectly level, which I'm really happy about.

More to come...

dirkspair
12-24-2013, 06:09 AM
that looks interesting, i will keep an eye on this.

Nurglesprince
12-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Thats awesome sir! an inspired kit bash :)

Dan

Darren Richardson
12-25-2013, 03:23 AM
man that is starting to look like one very creepy miniature, I can just imaging this skittering across the battlefield, and that is one disturbing image to have on Christmas day!

Desmond Kenny
12-25-2013, 08:02 AM
man that is starting to look like one very creepy miniature, I can just imaging this skittering across the battlefield, and that is one disturbing image to have on Christmas day!

Creepy? Haha - wait until you see the green stuff...

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback guys!

On to the next steps - the Green! My first ever attempt at using the stuff, so I'm quite happy with it.

First, I had to plug the gap in the front where that loyalist eagle emblem was, so here's my play on the Nurgle trinity:

And my (not so great) attempt at adding fur to the cloak:

And the bloating of the Nurgle Lord's armour:

Darren Richardson
12-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Seriously this is your first attempt with Green Stuff?

Damn you have talant for using the stuff, the fur looks convincing to me, and the nurgling detail looks great, now it looks even creepier then before, I can't wait to see it fully painted!

Bigred
12-26-2013, 11:13 AM
This project is great! MORE!

Somewhere Doomrider is crying softly in a dark corner...

A.j. Heiskell
12-26-2013, 01:41 PM
I really like the idea of him 'skittering' across the battlefield. Quite impressive.

Desmond Kenny
12-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Seriously this is your first attempt with Green Stuff?

Damn you have talant for using the stuff, the fur looks convincing to me, and the nurgling detail looks great, now it looks even creepier then before, I can't wait to see it fully painted!

Thanks! My wife makes cakes and icing craft, so I had the advantage of the use of some pretty useful tools and advice on shaping and sculpting. A couple of YouTube clips didn't hurt either. For the pustules I cut the head off a cotton ear bud and poked the green stuff with it. Then shaped it with a flat tool. And thanks for the thumbs up on the fur - the tool for that was a sharp knife and a hook. I really liked working with it and it was a lot easier than I expected. I'll be using it again that's for sure.

Desmond Kenny
12-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Pre and post undercoat:

Chaeron
12-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Marvellous - suitably evil!

Darren Richardson
12-27-2013, 02:15 AM
Looking Good....

Sorry that should be EVIL hahahah....

Really I can't wait to see the finished model fully painted, the modelling you've done so far is amazing, so please take your time and give him the paintjob he deserves, if your painting skills are as good as your modelling skills, I'm sure it will be worth the wait to see him finish.

Desmond Kenny
02-01-2014, 04:01 AM
Sorry all for the delay - my wife had our second baby slightly early so my time just vanished. I will get around to painting this beast, just not as quickly as originally hoped. I did manage to get one game in though, and yes, he looked really evil scuttling across the battlefield. I'll post some pics once I get a chance