PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Martys Imperial Defense Network Configuration

theirkin
12-24-2013, 12:55 AM
So I am in love with the idea of having proper defense networks. It's awesome, and I'm trying to find ways to make it work well with my shooty Space Marine army. I was wondering what units and which buildings from that set people have found or are thinking are effective.I'm also torn on the upgrades to use for the buildings.

Here are the buildings I currently have:

Firestorm Redoubt
2 Bunkers
1 set of trenches
1 set of emplacements

I have also been using a lot of Centurian Devestators (missile heavy bolter) and Stormtalons (although they're probably first to get cut, they don't fit the army's theme). The Centurians in a trench for the 4+ cover, combined with a lack of Str10 in my local meta means that those guys super durable.

So, like I said above, what have you guys seen to be working? What would you within the context of the Wall of Martyrs set? Thanks for any input.

Bigred
12-24-2013, 11:39 AM
I think there is a lot of utility in the Vengeance Batteries.

Now that you can mix and match the weapons between the Firestorms and the Vengeance, you can come up with interesting combos to complement your army.

Da Gargoyle
12-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Not that I initially thought of the wall of Martyrs in the first instance because I play Eldar and it does not fit the mold. But I was also put off by the bodies piled at the base of the wall. 2 things, why would you build a step ladder into the wall for assaulting troops, and human soldiers would not fight with the rotting corpses of their comrades reeking in their noses.

As for tactics, concentrate barrage fire on a particular point in the line, then assault that. Barrage denies a cover save and for Eldar that is the tempest launcher and Vauls Artillery, like D-Cannon. AP 3 or 2 so life gets a bit iffy on the line. Two Serpents or Falcons fly in while the artillery spreads the shots outward. At the same time surpressing fire is used on the defensive guns by Guardian heavy weapons and possibly an assault by my Warlock Council on Jet Bikes. About the only use I have for Warlocks is anti tank with singing spears on bikes in a sqd of 5.

theirkin
12-26-2013, 11:41 PM
thanks for the input guys. i forgot to mention i have a vengeance battery that i built with the punisher cannons (gotta love those 20 shots). i may switch the gatlings to the firestorm and put the lascannons of the battery, i just cant decide. i actually played today with just the trenches, the emplacement, and the battery at 1500 points. worked out surprisingly well actually.

Houghten
12-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Switch the punisher cannon to the redoubt and buy it a magos machine spirit! 50% extra hits for 30 points is not a terrible proposition when you're putting out 40 shots, I feel.

theirkin
12-27-2013, 02:44 AM
Houghten, that's where I'm torn. I can't decide if I want to have the punishers with the BS3 or have the intercepting lascannons get the improved BS. I'm leaning towards the punishers, just because I'm one of the only players who consistently runs fliers, and the only players who runs more than one.

tuebor
12-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Not that I initially thought of the wall of Martyrs in the first instance because I play Eldar and it does not fit the mold. But I was also put off by the bodies piled at the base of the wall. 2 things, why would you build a step ladder into the wall for assaulting troops, and human soldiers would not fight with the rotting corpses of their comrades reeking in their noses.

I'm kinda confused here. Are you saying the bodies are the step ladder up to the wall? It's not like they were put there intentionally, as if the Imperial Defense Line STC requires a minimum amount of corpses before it's considered complete. I have this mental image of a Techpriest requiring several human sacrifices from the local commander to finish the defense wall. It's a pretty hilariously grimdark image but probably not the intention.

Also, it's not like Guardsmen would smell rotting corpses and go on strike or something. "Commissar, these working conditions are unacceptable! Until you meet the demands of Guardsman Local 307 we're not shooting any more xenos!".

Katharon
12-29-2013, 09:21 AM
The redoubt with Punishers is going to be a strong area-denial tool. You've effectively got a 24" bubble that any sane player will avoid unless they really have to. Which means that if you go with the dual-Punishers, that you will need to position your Redoubt in just such a way as to gain the most effectiveness out of its deployment. It could be a huge boost to your army and act as the anvil upon which a hammer may fall.

Bigred
12-29-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm really liking any of these:

Gatling Redoubt
255pts
Dual Gatlings
Magos Machine Spirit
Void Shield

Firestorm Redoubt
255pts
Dual Quad-Icarus
Magos Machine Spirit
Void Shield

Cannon Redoubt
245pts
Dual Battle Cannon
Void Shield

It's a good price and any of them will influence a battle, and at least 1 should be a good match for almost any armylist.

Tank Traps
90pts
36" of Tank traps will give you 6 x 6" sections of impassible terrain to channel vehicles. 101 uses! Any fortification can add these on.

Tanglewire
30pts
36" of Tanglewire will give you 6 x 6" sections of dangerous terrain to channel infantry. 101 uses! Any fortification can add these on.

Icarus Vengeance Battery
85pts
Quad-Icarus
2x Tanglewire

Instant anti-air for anyone that is tricky to charge.

Void Shield Generator
90pts
2x Void Shields
3x Tanglewire

Instant double void 12" radius protection that is tricky to charge.

Matt Byron
12-29-2013, 01:44 PM
For my IF Space Marines, I've been running two Bastions with Void Shields and Icarus, and an ADL with Quad Gun. Strong anti-Air, and I put my Devastator Squads, in Combat Squads into the Bastions, I can then basically shoot 3 Heavy Anti-Vehicle weapons a turn with each combat squad. Combine that with another Devastator Squad in the ADL Running Flak Missiles and Plasma Cannons Manning the Quad-Gun for Anti-Infantry/Air. It's really working well so far!

I'm planning on taking the Martyr Terrain for my IG, because the Stubborn Special rule is Nifty, and I can place my Heavy Weapons teams in the Emplacements, then throw down a couple vengeance Batteries to make the Gun Line from Hell!

Martyn Powell
12-29-2013, 02:27 PM
tank traps, barricades and tanglewire have to be placed within 6" of the building they are purchased for...

So in regards to funneling tanks... not great... bikes however... tank traps are dangerous terrain if i remember correctly. While not impassable if you physically cannot balance the model on top of some flimsy wire technically that model cannot be placed there (how I'm used to playing anyway, hills and top heavy models are different). So you can really use these to mitigate how many enemy models are close enough to get into base contact with the barricade/trench.

When it comes to Void shields however....
I had a SM 1750pt list with the following....

Void shield with 3 layers, 6 x 6" barricades.
2 Chapter masters
3 x 3 Dev Cents with Gravs and Missile Launchers
2 Tactical 5 man squads with Las cannons

and some more stuff but the amount of fire that can throw out and be immune to anything S5 and below at >12" away from the void shield, and even if they can damage the shield... i'm negating 1-2 units that aren't a squad of devastators or equivalent for a turn with a chance of getting some back end of my next turn.

It truely is insane... imagine if that got first turn with two orbital bombardments targeted at things which could take down the shields.... gunlines... i'd just sit behind this shield and hit you with my ML's.

The next tournament I'm going to has limited fortifications to 200pts max... and they've also banned the superheavy book.... mainly because it's a win button for those with the money to spend which is more and more what this has become now.