PDA

View Full Version : Grey Hunters

bigman45
12-10-2009, 12:59 AM
I was wondering if adding a Wolf Guard leader or Wolf Lord what ever the case my be, to a 9 man squad of grey hunters, would make them a 10 man squad under the rules for taking a second melta, plasma, or flamer for free?

crazyredpraetorian
12-10-2009, 01:21 AM
I was wondering if adding a Wolf Guard leader or Wolf Lord what ever the case my be, to a 9 man squad of grey hunters, would make them a 10 man squad under the rules for taking a second melta, plasma, or flamer for free?

Nope.

Cryl
12-10-2009, 02:33 AM

Nope.

and what's worse is that thanks to the smaller rhinos the puppies get you can't take a 2 special weapon squad with a wolf guard and put them in a transport...

faolan
12-10-2009, 06:47 AM
and what's worse is that thanks to the smaller rhinos the puppies get you can't take a 2 special weapon squad with a wolf guard and put them in a transport...

Unless you want to pay ridiculous amounts for the Land Raider to do it.

Cryl
12-10-2009, 07:05 AM
and if I remember correctly you're limited to the LRC or the LRR as the wolves regular LR is limited to ten as well... maybe it's all the pelts and tails they've got in there that takes up all the space?

Shas O Es Ka
12-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Here's my question if pay for ten men and then sub-in a wolf guard for your pack leader you should in theary should still be able to take to speial weapon's. The codex says on page 86 "before the battle each wolf guard has the option of being split off from his pack and assigned to lead a differnt pack from this list, Blood Claws, Swiftclaw Bikes Packs, Grey Hunters, Wolf Scouts, Long Fangs. It seams to me this is just like paying for a Vet Sgt. but with more options.

Nabterayl
12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
The trouble is that when you buy the squad, it isn't a ten-man squad. "Before the battle" means prior to deployment, and arguably prior to table setup, but it doesn't mean "when you make your army list." Your army list consists of, say, three squads of nine grey hunters each and one squad of three wolf guard, who are then deployed as three squads of nine grey hunters and one wolf guard each. But by that time it's too late to buy additional upgrades for your squad.

DarkLink
12-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Ummm, all Rhinos have a transport capacity of 10 :p. It's the Godhammer Land Raiders that are smaller.

Regardless, as has been pointed out, you need to buy 10 Grey Hunters to get a second free weapon. So either you get a squad Sargent, or a second weapon.

Culven
12-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Or the player can select 10 Grey Hunters with a Rhino, add the Wolf Guard, and hope that one of the Grey Hunters dies quickly so they can fit in their Transport.

Nabterayl
12-10-2009, 04:36 PM
"Brother Olaf! As we prepare for battle against the Archenemy, I, Phelan Lupus, of our glorious wolf lord Canis Lykus' wolf guard, require that you stand in front of the Rhino."

"But ... why, Brother Wolf Guard?"

"For the glory of the chapter, Brother Olaf! The Archenemy's lascannons are even now trained upon this position, and, er, someone must show them that we Space Wolves fear not their cowardly long-ranged attacks! Now go, while I and the rest of your squad pray to the All-Father. Behind the Rhino."

DarkLink
12-10-2009, 05:11 PM
"Brother Olaf! As we prepare for battle against the Archenemy, I, Phelan Lupus, of our glorious wolf lord Canis Lykus' wolf guard, require that you stand in front of the Rhino."

"But ... why, Brother Wolf Guard?"

"For the glory of the chapter, Brother Olaf! The Archenemy's lascannons are even now trained upon this position, and, er, someone must show them that we Space Wolves fear not their cowardly long-ranged attacks! Now go, while I and the rest of your squad pray to the All-Father. Behind the Rhino."

We never liked Brother Olaf much anyways.

Cryl
12-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Ummm, all Rhinos have a transport capacity of 10 :p. It's the Godhammer Land Raiders that are smaller.

Regardless, as has been pointed out, you need to buy 10 Grey Hunters to get a second free weapon. So either you get a squad Sargent, or a second weapon.

Erm... yes it is... mental failure there, I think I'd convinced myself that since they wouldn't fit in a rhino the problem must be with the rhino not the squad size... my bad... but yeah either Sgt. or 2nd weapon if you want a transport... so I was kinda right :p