PDA

View Full Version : Humble Beginnings.

CrusherJoe
08-02-2009, 10:17 AM
All right, so I did a little Ebay trolling and got lucky winning a couple of auctions, and for less than $30.00 US I'm now the proud owner of:

Space Marine Company -- 100 SMs, 10 Rhinos. SMs come on 20 stands of 5 each.

6 Rhinos
6 Vindicators
7 Land Raiders
5 Whirlwinds
4 Dreadnoughts

I've been poking around in Army Builder a bit but the truth is I have no real idea what I'm doing. I get the idea that I'm lacking several things to make a coherent, combined-arms force (things such at Thunderhawks, drop pods, Devastators and Assault Marines come to mind...not to mention bikes and land speeders). Oh, and titans. The idea of titans were what drew me to Epic in the first place (before I even knew what 40K really was) and I'm going to have a couple, at least -- probably Warhounds or Reavers. I know if I include drop pods I'm going to have to also add in a Strike Cruiser or Battle Barge as well.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is to ask you Epic gurus out there what direction should I go in? I know that I need more stuff -- but what should be a priority?

Anyone want to take a swing at giving me a little guidance? :)

Lux
08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
For now I'd suggest simply building what you've got. You might want to add some anti-tank units in there like predators, speeders, or warhounds. I can loan you a few things until you figure out the direction you want to go.

Lux

Chris
08-03-2009, 12:15 AM
There is an awful lot of existing advice over at
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/forums/index.cgi?
If that is not enough the EpicUK site
http://www.epic-uk.co.uk/
has a host of army lists used in tournaments and of course how well they did.
http://epic-uk.co.uk/ukepicachampionship/fsa09.html

Jack_Hammer
08-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Well fist off good to see someone else in Austin trying to get some epic going, when are we going to get a game on? :)

Second, i think you have a super solid start and you are already on the right track, Dev and Assault marines jumping out of the thunderhawk is a blast.

I would get some practice games in with what you already so you can get a better feel for your preferred play style.

You may prefer the "mud marines" or air assault and drop pods for example.

Also what i would take depends on what exact rule set im using, for example if im playing straight from the base book vindicators are not really worth taking, however if you play with the Epic 2008 handbook the vindicator is much better (4+MW).

GR00V3R
08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
As has been written elsewhere in these forums, Marines really need Thunderhawks and/or drop pod assaults to succeed.

My old post Death From Above (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/02/epic-death-from-above.html) covers some of this in the second half. It might help you. :)

It sounds like you've got 20 stands of Tactical marines--am I right? If so, you've got three Tactical detachments there, to which you can add your Dreadnoughts and drop pod them onto the enemy objectives/blitz. Obviously, this requires getting a Strike Cruiser and, ideally, a drop pod model, but you can playtest this approach without them--the models really aren't all that necessary in gameplay terms.

The Marines "killer unit", though, is the Landing Craft. Load that bad boy up with two Tactical detachments or two Devastators and an Assault detachment plus six Rhino-class vehicles (I like a Pred Annihilator detachment with two vindicators attached), and then drop that bad boy on the enemy blitz to create some major headaches for your opponent. FUN! :D

CrusherJoe
08-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Well fist off good to see someone else in Austin trying to get some epic going, when are we going to get a game on? :)

Second, i think you have a super solid start and you are already on the right track, Dev and Assault marines jumping out of the thunderhawk is a blast.

I would get some practice games in with what you already so you can get a better feel for your preferred play style.

You may prefer the "mud marines" or air assault and drop pods for example.

Also what i would take depends on what exact rule set im using, for example if im playing straight from the base book vindicators are not really worth taking, however if you play with the Epic 2008 handbook the vindicator is much better (4+MW).

I'll be ready to get going once all my stuff comes in. :)

The one thing I haven't been able to find is a Thunderhawk -- well, OK, no T-hawk, no Landing Craft and no Drop Pods. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places on Ebay. I did, however, find a FW Reaver for cheap and scored that -- although it's the version with 3 rocket pods (those are the only weapons it has). I figure I can either find the other weapons or just use the rockets, they seem capable of dealing some damage at range, and that's good.

"Mud Marines" are definitely not where I want to go. The more maneuverable, the better!

For now I'd suggest simply building what you've got. You might want to add some anti-tank units in there like predators, speeders, or warhounds. I can loan you a few things until you figure out the direction you want to go.

Lux

I sent you a PM about this. I'll have to check mine and see if you replied.

As has been written elsewhere in these forums, Marines really need Thunderhawks and/or drop pod assaults to succeed.

My old post Death From Above (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/02/epic-death-from-above.html) covers some of this in the second half. It might help you. :)

It sounds like you've got 20 stands of Tactical marines--am I right? If so, you've got three Tactical detachments there, to which you can add your Dreadnoughts and drop pod them onto the enemy objectives/blitz. Obviously, this requires getting a Strike Cruiser and, ideally, a drop pod model, but you can playtest this approach without them--the models really aren't all that necessary in gameplay terms.

The Marines "killer unit", though, is the Landing Craft. Load that bad boy up with two Tactical detachments or two Devastators and an Assault detachment plus six Rhino-class vehicles (I like a Pred Annihilator detachment with two vindicators attached), and then drop that bad boy on the enemy blitz to create some major headaches for your opponent. FUN! :D

Yep, 20 stands of Marines, with 5 Marines per stand (that's the "correct" way, right?). Now to find termies, assault and devs and I'll be in business. I may also get the SM Character Pack, it looks to have quite a few little interesting things in it.

So...any suggestions on where to find T-hawks, Landing Craft and Drop Pods?

Lux
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
You can always try www.chaosorc.com. Their stock changes regularly depending on what people are getting rid of, but the prices are good.

Lux

GR00V3R
08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
People tend not to sell their Thunderhawks, Landing Craft and Drop Pod models. They're too awesome to part with. :)

CrusherJoe
08-05-2009, 04:43 AM
You can always try www.chaosorc.com. Their stock changes regularly depending on what people are getting rid of, but the prices are good.

Lux

Aaaaaaaah, now that's what I'm talking about right there! ChaosOrc is exactly the kind of site I was looking for...thanks!