PDA

View Full Version : BEST 40K PRODUCT-2009 Readers Choice Awards Submissions

Bigred
12-09-2009, 09:34 AM
You guys read it correctly!

This thread is for submissions for the BoLS 2009 Readers Choice Awards for the BEST WARHAMMER 40K PRODUCT of 2009. Entries can be any miniature, plastic kit, codex, or other Games Work/Forgeworld item that was released in 2009.

We will tally these up in one week, and open up the finalists for a reader's choice poll to determine the winner.

Have at it! (there is a matching Fantasy Post in the Fantasy-General forum)

Col.Gravis
12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm gonna dive in head first and say that it's Codex Imperial Guard.

Why?

You can have all your fancy models - and there are plenty of em this year as ever which are really nice andthats before you even get to Forgeworld's offerings, but as a Codex it's a corner stone of the game, first you need the core rules, then the codex, then the models which dare I say it are the least important part given you can always use those of another origin.

As a codex it's pretty much a perfect example of the current generation IMHO, it's well written rules wise, concise, with relatively few problems compaired to many other codex release. You have an amount of background and description material which has'nt been greater since the old 2nd Edition books, when it comes to the units though you have a well balanced core (take for example the humble Infantry Squad or a Leman Russ), some nasty combinations suited to tourny play but which at the same time are suitably priced (Pysker Battle Squads, Vendetta's) and some fun stuff which is'nt really something you'd see in a competative game, but which are excellent additions to an army built just because of background, model, or rule of cool (Death Strikes, Penal Legion). It is pretty much an ideal combination IMHO.

Aldramelech
12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I liked the Mines, Bombs and Bobby Traps set. Its a shame it was a Ltd. release as its really very useful. Ive used most of the parts for basing large models and it compliments the 40k basing set beautifully.

miteyheroes
12-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Codex: Space Wolves. It's big and fluffy and epic, just like the guys it describes.

Duke
12-09-2009, 10:19 AM
So I am going to be pretty general.

My vote is for terrain.

I was talking with a friend a few days ago and we were talking about how back in the day we had to spraypaint toilet paper rolls for smoke stacks and dig through our brothers birthday presents for styrofoam. We used to dream about having fortresses, bastions, craters, entire cities, hills and forests with wrecked Rhinos in them. For Lords sake our hills were just a pile of books covered by felt (Or blankets). I have been really happy with my 40k terrain and GW keeps realeaseing more and more. Codexes are great, and so are models, but what makes a game really pop is awesome terrain.

Duke

P.S. - I hope I wasn't too general

Bigred
12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
So pick your favorite 40k terrain piece of the year Duke.

Bean
12-09-2009, 10:45 AM
While I definitely support the nomination for Imperial Guard codex (way better written than the Space Wolves codex, whose most epic property is its propensity for errors) I would have to nominate the Valkyrie kit. It is truly an awesome model and a great kit.

Duke
12-09-2009, 10:49 AM
So pick your favorite 40k terrain piece of the year Duke.

Hmmm, so many good choices. Im going to have to go with the Fortress of Redemption. It is a great example of not only how far GW has come with terrain support, but also Model size.

But ask me in a few months and Im going to answer the BA codex (Even if it stinks, lol)

Duke

Emperorsmercy
12-09-2009, 11:06 AM
May I put forward Space Wolves Pack kit?

Its very versatile, a great plastic kit and good for converting.

Also, its awesome.

Melissia
12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I third Codex: Imperial Guard. It has made all the IG players locally rather happy, and the only people that really grumble are those that played drop troops.

Brosef Stalin
12-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Canis Wolfborn. Boom.

Seriously, though. I guess the Legion of the Damned models are out of the question? They look pretty awesome. If that's the case, I'll also put my vote to the Space Wolves Pack. I really gotta give it to GW, they did an excellent job, it seems like a really fun army to put together.

Herald of Nurgle
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
May I put forward Space Wolves Pack kit?

Its very versatile, a great plastic kit and good for converting.

Also, its awesome.
Agreed. SW Pack certainly is a decent kit - in fact, i'm currently buying a load and trying to make a whole plastic army out of that set and the Terminators etc. Well... except the thunderwolves :(

Old_Paladin
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm going to throw my support behind the IG Codex as well.

Melissia
12-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Personally I think C:IG might end up being the best quality codex of the entire fifth edition, with the exception of the fluff behind Commander Chenkov.

Lerra
12-09-2009, 12:31 PM
My vote is for Space Hulk. Great models, great game. Too bad it was limited release, though.

fuzzbuket
12-09-2009, 12:35 PM
space hulk or possibly the assault marines

hulks a joy to paint, and a great game whitch can be played with non gaming family only fault is its limited

oh and Grots

grots look nice and humorus and possibly the best value out of GW for Ages

Old_Paladin
12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Personally I think C:IG might end up being the best quality codex of the entire fifth edition, with the exception of the fluff behind Commander Chenkov.

I actually think the best is Orks; great fluff and stories, good rules. But the IG is really, really close.

BuFFo
12-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Imperial Guard codex.

Probably the most well balanced, best codex ever written.

Gotthammer
12-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Not strictly 40K but the Small Drybrush - finally I don't have to drybrush the entire model or f-up good brushes to make one myself.

For 40k - The Stompa!

Just_Me
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Toss up for me between the IG Codex (for the reasons already mentioned, balance, fluff, and overall "cleanness") and the Valkyrie (it's just such a cool kit...). Though I have to admit this has been a good year for 40k in general, lots of good stuff.

Melissia
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I actually think the best is Orks; great fluff and stories, good rules. But the IG is really, really close.

I think you didn't read all of my post-- there hasn't been an Ork codex in fifth edition yet...

RocketRollRebel
12-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I havent been able to really go nuts with the Space Wolf Pack boxes but they do look pretty amazing. But I think I'll have to go with Codex: Imperial Guard.

Old_Paladin
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I think you didn't read all of my post-- there hasn't been an Ork codex in fifth edition yet...

I count the ork codex that was released just slightly before the new 5th edition rulebook as a 5th edition codex (the rules are clearly complamentary).
I'd even count the Chaos Codex as knowing 5th Edition was in the works; and made with it in mind, to the best of their ability.
And in all likelyhood, neither of those codexes will ever see a true 'made within the 5th edition' re-print.

For me Tau Empires and Dark Angels were the last of the 'true blood' 4th edition codexes; with Eldar falling somewhere in-between (it's like a 4.5 edition).

Dark_Templar
12-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Hrm, model-wise?
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/tn1260227869051729800.jpg

Otherwise Codex: Imperial Guard as book of the year.

Valkyrie would need a mention too.

Melissia
12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Old Paladin: What you may or may not think is all well and good, but they're still fourth edition codices.

RocketRollRebel
12-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Hrm, model-wise?
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/tn1260227869051729800.jpg

Otherwise Codex: Imperial Guard as book of the year.

Valkyrie would need a mention too.

not to distract from the topic at hand but where did you find that shirt?!?

Dark_Templar
12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
not to distract from the topic at hand but where did you find that shirt?!?

Made it in Photoshop. After Christmas I am thinking I might make a better quality image and get the shirt made up.

Commissar Lewis
12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Dark Templar, if you make multiple shirts I'd buy one. Granted, it'll have to be a back-alley purchase, lest we incur the wrath of Dem Leegul Boyz at GW.

Anyway, my vote: Being a Guard man myself, I vote Codex: Imperial Guard.

I'd vote Valkyrie as it looks like a damn fine model, sadly I have not able to afford one.

Dark_Templar
12-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys, glad you like it.

I doubt I would sell them, as I am not keen on Gee Dubyas legal team.

I would be happy to send you hi-res images and you could then get an online printing place to do one for you cheap, with no minimum quanity.

entendre_entendre
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Either Space Hulk of the IG codex. I'd put the Guard slightly ahead due to Space Hulk only being a limited run (not to mention that the cheap timer broke in the box, so when i opened the thing it sprayed fine dust everywhere :( ).

about Codex: Orks: it was not released in 2009, therefore wouldn't be eligible in this little awards show.

Gir
12-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd have to say the Ork Megadread from FW. It's just got a sort of epicness about it, and it looks awesome.

Closely followed up by the Valkyrie and the Choas Reaver Titan.

eagleboy7259
12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Either Space Hulk or the Planet Strike Terrain. The new codex scene was nice with Imps, Wolves, and all was legit, it wasn't anything overly new in my mind, none of it really excited me towards the hobby like this new Tyranids codex is doing.

crazyredpraetorian
12-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Best Codex of the Year: Imperial Guard
Best Model of the Year: Valkyrie
Best Terrain of the Year: Aegis Defense Line
Best Reason To Hire New Proof Readers/Editors: Codex Space Wolves

Cryl
12-10-2009, 02:16 AM
It's a close run thing between Codex: Imperial Guard which really captured the flavour and spirit of the guard for me and Space Hulk.

As the topic is 40k product of the year I'll go with C:IG as Space Hulk isn't, strictly speaking, 40k.

Lord Azaghul
12-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Non model: IG Codex - its brillant, all GW army book and codex' should be pushed to this standard.

Model: Bastion. It's simple, its affordable and it look great on the table top.

Brass Scorpion
12-10-2009, 09:01 AM
My vote is for the 40K Bastion kit. It's versatile, modular, easy to convert, and easy to work into games. It looks great and adds a good visual aspect to games while also providing a good place for models to actually inhabit so that it becomes an integral part of the game. Great for story-driven games, Planetstrike, as a cool looking objective, great used with or without other terrain kits, greatly useful and fun all-around. It comes with great little optional bits and accessories and the modular nature means it inegrates with and converts easily with other terrain kits.

Shadoq
12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Gonna have to go with the IG Codex as well.
It is simply the best I have seen.

Model wise: I vote for the new Leman Russ Demo/Executioner/Punisher kit. I love how easy it was to build and durable it is now that it is built. Also the new "slip fit" sponson/hull weapons are awesome.

SonsOfLoki
12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Stompa

bastion

planetstrike

Planetary empires

plastic demolisher

plastic hellhound

plastic command squad IG

IG codex

shadowvast
12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Space marine casualties and fortress terrain

M'yen'shi
12-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I'd like to also nominate the IG Valkyrie kit

whitewolfmxc
12-10-2009, 03:27 PM
SW codex and SW pack FTW :D

ninja skills
12-10-2009, 03:31 PM
after a long think i'm going with C:IG (and man do i think planetstrike is awesome) many reasons why;
the fluff is cool
the rules are nice (orders) and fitting (lumbering russ rule)
and most importantly balanced.

guard are no longer fighting an uphill battle as they now have some teeth to them, everyone will remember the first time 20/30 guardsman first rank second rank on them and get about a million shots

i'd like to mention the wolf kit just for the possibilities available.

by the way i play chaos, daemons and necrons before you start thinking i'm biased!

Chumbalaya
12-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm gonna go with the IG Codex. It gave IG back a lot of the character they had lost, made them viable with a veritable ton of variant builds, and it really drove home the power of mech.

Murphius Stevus
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I'd have to go with the Fortress of Redemption too, with a close second and third place going to the SW and IG codices.
2010 looks like next years readers choice awards could be even more difficult for people to choose, can't wait, roll on 2010!

sicarius2424
12-10-2009, 03:59 PM
my votes for stern guard because they look freaking awsome!!! :D:cool: and not sure if they came out this year but if they didn't then the valkyrie

Archon
12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Puh if I had to choose one 40K-Product 2009 overall it will be the Stormsword aka Shadowsword Kit cause I haventīt pay a fortune for a FW-Model to give my IW the biggest "Vindicator" they want:cool:

Best Codex of the Year: Imperial Guard
Best Model of the Year: Stormsword
Best Terrain of the Year: Bastion

oni
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
This year GW has released some pretty nice stuff, but I have to go with... SPACE HULK.

Marshal Argos
12-10-2009, 04:07 PM
My Vote is going to have to be Codex: Imperial Guard

Liazardman
12-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I really have to say that Codex IG is solid. However I lean more towards either the Valk or the Hellhound kit.... both are amazing

asmodai650
12-10-2009, 04:11 PM
The Stompa Kit

rkiviman
12-10-2009, 04:13 PM
The terrain features they've released are excellent. The best is the Fortress of Redemption. Great possibilties for gaming.

Rhellion
12-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Fortress of Redemption

FoxPhoenix135
12-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm going to have to vote for either either the 40k IG Valkyrie, or the IG Demolisher kit. The Valk is a superb model, and the Demolisher kit makes fielding 3 different variants of the demolisher easy without having to use magnets! Win-win for guys like me who are too lazy to magnetize their weapon loadouts.

Kungfuhustler
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I third Codex: Imperial Guard. It has made all the IG players locally rather happy, and the only people that really grumble are those that played drop troops.

I miss the doctrine system, It had so much potential for revamp! And my poor drop troops! *grumble grumble*

I have to shell out a vote for the Hell hound kit. A 100% improvement on the old kit that boasts an improved overall design for the chimera chassis. The detailing on the fuel tanks is great and the turret is by far the best turret design, IMHO, that GW has come up with to date.
I'm voting for the Hellhound as I really think it's an innovative and well thought out design that is going to be the IG's proverbial rhino.

Lord Azaghul
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm voting for the Hellhound as I really think it's an innovative and well thought out design that is going to be the IG's proverbial rhino.

Actually this just make the design of the hell hound make alot more sense. At first I thought the new tank (storage/chemical tanks) was wierd. But you drop it a replace it with a medusa or collosus cannon the chassie begins to make much more sense (which probably also means they'll be charging 50$ for the new kit)

Penelope the Wonder Pony
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Space Hulk all the way. It's just such a perfectly complete package, with such fantastic production values, brilliant models with a compelling story behind every marine, and the tightest rule set that I've ever seen GW put out. Brilliant.

Datadep5
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm voting for the valk kit. It's nice to have a flyer in the game, and that base opens up a lot of opportunity for dioramas, and gives the model a lot of stability.

Kieranator K82
12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I would also like to put a vote down for Robin Cruddace's Codex: Imperial Guard.

bonedale
12-10-2009, 05:46 PM
#1 Terrain
Makes gaming entirely better. Fortress gets my vote.

Close 2nd, Valk
Getting Forgeworld into plastic. Hope this trend continues.

Commissar Holt
12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I nominate the Dark Eldar...oh wait!

I guess I'll go with Space Hulk then. Hopefully it'll convince GW to remake some of their other classic board games.

Asphyxia
12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
I think I would have to go for Codex Imperial Guard, its just a magnificent Codex, from the new additions such as the tank variants and the plastic Valk' to the phenominal orders system thats revolutionised the way my guard army works on the table Thrown into that are wonderful special characters and background info to tailor a force in a much quicker way than the doctrines system ever could... Its just an all round ace codex! :) Robin Cruddace I do doff my hat to you sir

sketchesofpayne
12-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Codex: Imperial Guard and the Plastic Demolisher kit. Finally some real options as far as tanks go.

Brithian Ranger
12-10-2009, 07:07 PM
IG codex, it's way better than anything else from 2009.

Hashshashin
12-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm gonna go with Spacehulk FTW.

...but in case thats not considered a 40K release (because its not) then I have to say the FW Hector Rex model

islyfe
12-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Winner: Codex: Imperial Guard. So many good lists in just one book, great job on that.
Runner-Up: Codex: Space Wolves. Lone Wolves and rune priests are just amazing

Herr Wiggles
12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
put down another for Codex Space Wolves, it is the best codex they have put out since Codex Dark Angels, it has the perfect balance between rules, simplicity, and fluff, making it an all around fantastic book and a great army to play

HammerofVaul
12-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I'd have to go with the Straken model, fantastic model with tons of personality, With the Valkyrie as a close second.

Rupert
12-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Imperial Guard Codex with out a second thought.

Twilit
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Im gonna come out of left field with Land Speeder Storm.

The West Coast Knight
12-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Here are my votes
Best Plastic Model Kit Stompa ( Hopefully a sign of things to come for 2010)
Best New Codex Imperial Guard
Best Metal Model Zagstruck
Best Scenery Kit The Fortress of Redemtion
Best Novel Blood Pact
Best Hobby Item The water pot ( Its silly but I love this thing)

WCK

daggitkiller
12-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Valkarie/Space Hulk

It's a really hard call between them. Can't we have catagories? :(

Esven
12-11-2009, 03:17 AM
I nominate the Valkyrie plastic kit.

Whitehorn
12-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Fortress of Redemption.

If they can make lumps of plastic that big, where are our Thunderhawks? :cool:

ChaosPhoenix
12-11-2009, 03:52 AM
I'm voting for the Space Wolves pack. Lots of detailed bits for a very nice (yes call me traitor) price.

Dark_Templar
12-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Fortress of Redemption.

If they can make lumps of plastic that big, where are our Thunderhawks? :cool:

I heard/made up a rumour that the Fortress can be assembled as a THawk if you read the instructions backwards.

warmonger
12-11-2009, 06:56 AM
my vote goes to the IG codex-it rocks :cool:

druchi
12-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Definitely for the Valkyrie kit it rocks.

Tacoo
12-11-2009, 07:38 AM
im gonna have to say that dark eldar codex that weve been hearing about for a couple years now......

But seriously i would have to say the planet strike and relm of battle board combo. i bought that and havnt needed terrain yet, and it was fun just slappin on all the ork stuff i could find one one and making the other one look like it was "touched" by tzeentch. i wanted to do slaneesh but after i showd them my sketch, they said that it wasnt store apropiate.

Atrotos
12-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Valkyrie kit

a94marbo
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I would say that Boss Snikrot is the best modell I have seen for a very long time from GW. The details and dynamics in this model is awesome. I enjoyed every second of preparing and painting this model.

Heroka Vendile
12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Imperial Guard Codex
Ork Stompa
Bastion
Shrine of the Aquilla

Denzark
12-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Space Wolf Pack Kit - how many options? And if a true forerunner of things to come, ie one kit to make a squad and the leftovers to convert an entire dev/assault/insert your baby here into your chapter (BA/DA etc) then finally a step in the right direction for plastics.

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Bastion.

Cheap, versatile and HIGHLY convertable. nd not to mention all the leftover bits you can use to make more terrain, its crazy how great this kit is, by far better than any miniatures they've brought out this year IMO.

Boomstick
12-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Ork Mega Dread from Forgeworld. Nothing has brought me more fun than running around with it shouting MEGADEFFDREADZILLA :)

Lostandeli
12-14-2009, 10:20 AM
For me the best 40k product has to be the rerelease of Space Hulk. The game is a classic, that has been given a modern updating, the card pieces are awesome quality, and the models are stunning. The termies almost convinced me to do a Blood Angel army!!!

Admittidly the IG codex and models have been fantastic but do they really stand next to the legendary game that is gonna be awesome for years to come as opposed to a dex or models that will be updated in time to come. Let's face it the models are getting better and better anyway, give it two or three more army releases with new model releases and ppl will of forgotten about the IG dex and models.

Tonelowke
12-15-2009, 11:42 AM
For me the best 40k product has to be the rerelease of Space Hulk. The game is a classic, that has been given a modern updating, the card pieces are awesome quality, and the models are stunning. The termies almost convinced me to do a Blood Angel army!!!

I second the Space Hulk set. I don't think it should be limited to just the 40K game, but the 40K universe. I didn't look through the whole thread, but if there is even a book that came out this year that should be nominated, someone please nominate it here!

How about Dawn of War 2!?

burlinghoff
12-15-2009, 11:42 AM
New wolf sprues - troops/termies.

Melissia
12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
How about Dawn of War 2!?

Dawn of War 2 was awesome, but it wasn't a GW product.

BDub
12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I have to say Seige of Vraks III. It is a wonderful book and wrapped up a fine series beautifully.

deka
12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Codex: Imperial Guard...

With them I finaly start to paint my IG tanks and armour

murrburger
12-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Although some fluff things about the IG codex still bug me (Al Rehem, Vendettas) I can't deny that it's a huge step forward in terms of rules. Almost every choice is completely usable (Ogryns are better, at least) and the army works perfectly without stupid traits or doctrines.

Excellent codex. I vote for it.

freddieyu
12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
The IG valkryie set

Subject Keyword
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Space hulk!

imperialsavant
12-16-2009, 05:02 PM
:rolleyes:
Humm! Hard to pick between the Valkyrie & the Shadowsword combi kit.
I had "lusted" after a FW Shadowsword for sooo long & finally GW made a plastic one! :)

Bigred
12-19-2009, 12:30 AM
The submission period is closed. Frontpage voting starts soon.