PDA

View Full Version : IG Forge world HEAVY ARTILLERY Is it viable???

volrath8754
12-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Hey guys I'm wondering if a guard list with 6x heavy artillery carriages with earth-shakers and a squad of thudd guns can be competitive. I'm thinking about getting me some artillery for a holiday gift to myself but I really don't want to throw away piles of money on useless models. Experiences???? I'm thinking 1850 to 2000 for a points range. What would you take to support or compliment them?

Thanks in advance!

DarkLink
12-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Thudd guns and earth-shakers are extremely good. Artillery is basically borderline broken unless you can get in assault with it, and since 6th is generally a shooting game and IG can afford the bodies to bubble-wrap, and you can Go to Ground then Get Back in the Fight, or Fire on my Target, and so on, IG artillery is extremely good.

Trollzyn
12-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Thudd guns are MONEY. The earth-shaker cannons I could see as viable.... I'm interested.

StraightSilver
12-20-2013, 04:13 AM
Yes, definitely viable but you will need bodies to back it up.

Artillery can receive orders which makes those Earth-shakers nasty, but not sure you would need 6 of them. Would be pretty nasty though. Get them in cover with some meatshields to stop them getting assaulted and you should be good. :)

YorkNecromancer
12-20-2013, 05:38 AM
Thudd Guns get it done. Almost the perfect statline for anti-infantry blast templates, and at a good point cost too. Plus, they're as old school as 40K gets. :)

I am so ready for Forge World to release the HH Rapier Battery version...

volrath8754
12-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Cool glad to hear I'm not crazy. I am kind of surprised that everyone seemed to think they are so good. They definitely kill infantry but I could see a problem playing any competitive army like daemon circus serpent spam 2++ rerollable anything heck even monstrous creature spam could cause problems. Any of you guys actually ran a list with them before any hints?

DarkLink
12-20-2013, 08:37 AM
They're not complicated. Sit them in the back corner, rain fire on your opponent.

They don't kill the screamerstar, but nothing kills the screamerstar. It's effectively impossible for literally anything in the game to kill the screamerstar while it's got its 2++. Though with barrage, you can drop blasts on the Herald with the Grimnoir and have fairly good odds of killing it eventually, since that model itself doesn't get the buff from the Grimnoir, so you actually have better odds than most. However, IG can just take a lot of units and spread out, and the screamerstar won't be able to kill everyone, there aren't enough turns in the game.

This Dave
12-20-2013, 10:24 AM
For extra fun take an Aegis Defense line to put in front of or around your artillery guns. This gives them and their crews a good cover save to help keep them around. You can also put an Icarus Lascannon or Quad Gun with it and let one of the crewmen provide air defense.