PDA

View Full Version : Dukes Freehand part Deux

Duke
12-08-2009, 10:19 PM
thoughts and comments welcome as always.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Veahirin/4dc56d42.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Veahirin/b193fe9f.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Veahirin/40e86125.jpg

Duke

Mike X
12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
You have so much skill and talent. I hate you.

fuzzbuket
12-09-2009, 01:41 AM
youre getyting better:D

Cryl
12-09-2009, 02:08 AM
You have so much skill and talent. I hate you.

what he said... that is disgustingly lovely. I'm struggling to paint trees onto shields for a gondor army when there are people who can do that... *hangs head in shame*

Snyderson
12-09-2009, 03:20 AM
I think I'm going to lock you up in my cellar with the remaining 7000 pts of my BAs... :p

Duke
12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone. . . Each tank takes me about 10 hours or so of painting. Just in ase anyone wants to know here is my process.

1. Find an image from BA hereldry (If i can't find one I make one up)
2. Draw the image on paper a few times to get the proportions right.
3. Prep the top of the tank. I have been getting rid of the new hatches in favour for the old hatches because they are more "flat"
4. Draw the image on the tank with a pencil
5. Make any changes needed with the pencil
6. Fill in the drawing with Micron pen.
7. "Paint the numbers,"
8. Do highligting as needed.
9. Paint the rest of the tnak.

The two banners I painted are similar in approach, but because they are a lot smaller they afford little room for error.

In all honesty, I didn't think that I had the talent to do this 6 months ago. Try it and you may impress yourself!

Duke

Lindargo
12-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow these are awesome! The guy on the BA banner does look like jesus though...
Lindargo,

Duke
12-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Lol, I thought the same thing when I was painting him. That is actually the Blood Angels Chapter banner, so not much I could do about that.

On a side note, The story about Sanguinius fighting off the terrors of the deep only to end up sacraficing himself for his 'father,' (the Emperor) is quite a parallel to Jesus of Nazareth.

Duke

Cruor Vault
12-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Dammit Duke!

Now I need to do something equally impressive to one-up you at the store!

Duke
12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Well Cruor, I have been seriously thinking about putting LED lights in the vehiles... lol

Right now I don't want to buy models because of the new codex coming soon, so painting and converting is a great way to spend the time.

OCdt Mephiston
12-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I love blood angels heraldry, and you do it great justice!

Duke
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Ok so I had a few people PM me for some close ups of the Land Raider and the Razorback with Sanguinius on it. Here it goes

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Veahirin/2d5aa0c8.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Veahirin/23b8691b.jpg

Duke

lobster-overlord
12-09-2009, 09:29 PM
It's interesting that Blood Angels really do lend themselves to this kind of painting than many others.

BTW, when are you going to send me those new tanks you painted for my army? ;-)

Seriously, those are some nice pieces of work.

John M.

Duke
12-10-2009, 08:53 AM
I agree that Blood Angels really do lend themselves to this kind of painting. Chaos would be another one that would do this kind of thing to one degree or another.

I always thought that Blood Angels were supposed to be artists and what not. I figured that a Warrior-artists best canvas is his war gear. Im happy with how it has come out so far.

Right now I have a bunch of Dreads and a couple more LAnd Raiders to do, lets see if I run out of ideas, lol

Duke

Duke
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Here are some banners that I painted. I drilled holes in the back left portion of the transports and Iuse the banners to designate if there are troops embarked. I really didn't like placing a model on top of my freehand. each flag corresponds with a certain tank. I tried to bring the heraldry markings over from the tank to the banner. When the troops disembark I put the banner in the backpack of the squad sgt. (once I drill the holes for the sgts.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Veahirin/1a810aff.jpg

quinn
12-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I have to say that Duke's Blood Angel's graphics look even better in person. The photos don't do the work justice.

RocketRollRebel
12-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Beautiful work. Now I need to go smash my BA tanks haha

Duke
12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
I just hope that I haven't painted all of the vehicles in vain. If the new BA codex comes out and Mech sucks for them Im going to have a great laugh (and probably a few curses).

Duke

Jawaballs
12-15-2009, 08:30 PM
They look great man, but I think you are right, the Death of mech is upon us and I think that all your great work will be out the door if you are playing competitively. I have already retired 4 of my rhinos!

You got a solid foundation of painting. I found that every time I painted a tank, I got better and Im sure you will find the same. Advice? (He emailed me and asked for it!) Your colors look a little flat. Do exactlly what you have done, but start with a darker version of your colors, then work up layers to a lighter version. For example the skull. Paint it bestial brown first, then do lighter and lighter shades of brown, using less and less, all the way through Bleached bone to white. By the time you get to white, you are only touching it onto the most raised edges of the skull like the nose bridge, eye brows and teeth.

I would say more but the preggo fiance is putting her feet in my face which is a clear signal for me to rub them.

Jawaballs!

agproductions
12-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm not usually a huge fan of freehand work on tanks, but I must say that with the amount of highlighting you did, they turned out very nice.

I'd really like to see a shot with your entire army on the gaming board so we can see how they would look as part of a full scale army in the context of war.

Duke
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Ill have to do that. I think they look pretty good when out on the table together.

One porblem Im having right now is that I want to run all my tanks in one list, which means that the army isn't always the best list I could have chosen... That's ok though cause I lokve the way they look.

Ill take a pic with my digital cam (the phone cam isn't good for bigger pics) and post it in the next few days.

Duke

Duke
12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
...You got a solid foundation of painting. I found that every time I painted a tank, I got better and Im sure you will find the same. Advice? (He emailed me and asked for it!) Your colors look a little flat. Do exactlly what you have done, but start with a darker version of your colors, then work up layers to a lighter version. For example the skull. Paint it bestial brown first, then do lighter and lighter shades of brown, using less and less, all the way through Bleached bone to white. By the time you get to white, you are only touching it onto the most raised edges of the skull like the nose bridge, eye brows and teeth...
Jawaballs!

Do you end up with the brightest shades at the edge or in the center?

Duke

Jawaballs
01-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Do you end up with the brightest shades at the edge or in the center?

Duke

Brightest at the edges, darkest at the centers, especially where one plate is overlapped by another.