PDA

View Full Version : Boarding Plank vs. Flechette Launchers

Pariah Stevo
12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
A battlewagon with a boarding plank full of 20 boys and a PK nob attacks a Tau Vehicles equipped with flechette launchers from the battlewagon. Of course the nob is the only model attacking, so does the tau player role 1 die to wound or 20?

Nabterayl
12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
One. Flechette dischargers explicitly say models attacking the vehicle.

BuFFo
12-09-2009, 01:22 AM
One model attacks the vehicle, only one model would be hurt.

The rest of the Orks laugh inside the Wagon as their Nob gets some sharp stuff stuck in his mug!

Pariah Stevo
12-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks...Two more questions/

1) So I can allocate the wound however i like, ie not on the nob, correct?

2) If ork boyz on foot assault a tau vehicle, then can I choose to only attack with the nob,hince only taking one wound?

Old_Paladin
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks...Two more questions/

1) So I can allocate the wound however i like, ie not on the nob, correct?

2) If ork boyz on foot assault a tau vehicle, then can I choose to only attack with the nob,hince only taking one wound?

1) I'm going to say No to wound allocation; as, has already be pointed out, the rules states attacking model(s) take the wound; it doesn't say the attaking unit takes the wounds.
Unless it also specifies that wounds are distributed like shooting or hand-to-hand (which would then allow normal wound distribution).

2) I'm not sure if the rules even allow you to not attack (plus it seems very un-orky).

DarkLink
12-09-2009, 11:53 AM
1. No. The specific model takes a wound, not the unit. You can allocate wounds against a unit, not against a specific model.

2. No, you must attack with everybody in assault. You can't choose not to attack. It's on BRB pg 39, under Attacking, first bullet point; "... must attack that unit."

Nabterayl
12-09-2009, 12:20 PM
1. No. The specific model takes a wound, not the unit. You can allocate wounds against a unit, not against a specific model.
I think what DarkLink is saying is that the wound is allocated to the specific model attacking, and then suffered jointly by that model's group of identical models. So for instance say you attack with a regular ork boy, and there are ten more boyz just like him back in the trukk - you wouldn't have to kill the specific model that crossed the boarding plank; any identical boy would do. It's no different from the regular wound rules - just because you allocate a wound to a specific model doesn't mean that specific model is the one that takes the wound.

Pariah Stevo
12-09-2009, 12:30 PM
1. Well the Particle Whip has similar wording, "model under the hole takes an AP1 hit". In 4th edition, the FAQ said that the monolith could "snipe" specific models. When the 5th edition FAQ came out they said that the 5th edition blasts rules says you can decide who takes the hit. I know that that is kinda of a stretch since it says the blast rules state, but i guess i don't see much of a difference. The Nob taking the wound makes more fluff sense, though.

Nabterayl
12-09-2009, 12:42 PM
1. Well the Particle Whip has similar wording, "model under the hole takes an AP1 hit". In 4th edition, the FAQ said that the monolith could "snipe" specific models. When the 5th edition FAQ came out they said that the 5th edition blasts rules says you can decide who takes the hit. I know that that is kinda of a stretch since it says the blast rules state, but i guess i don't see much of a difference. The Nob taking the wound makes more fluff sense.
This is just a rules change between 4th and 5th. In 5th edition, there's a difference between taking a wound, and suffering the effects of that wound. The classic example I like to give is two nobz, each with identical wargear. The unit of two nobz take two bolter wounds. Then:
Nob A is allocated one wound
Nob B is allocated one wound
<roll two saves> Ork player fails two saves
Nob A dies, Nob B is unharmed
Nob A dies even though Nob A was only allocated one wound. The universal rule in 5th edition is that wounds are allocated to individual models, but suffered collectively by all identical models.

In the case of a boyz mob led by a nob, if the nob charges, the nob is allocated the flechette wound, and all models in the unit identical to the nob suffer the wound collectively. Of course, there is only one nob in a boyz mob, and so the nob must suffer the wound; he cannot fob it off onto a regular boy.