PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Space Hulk Rules to Warhammer 40k?

crashwins
12-19-2013, 11:47 AM
I apologize if this has been answered, but I combed the web with a fine-tooth before even thinking about posting this. Btw, thanks for letting me on the forum - I'm new here.

My buddies and I grew up playing 40K - we've got miniatures from the early 80s (we're old men at 35 now :). Suffices to say we spent a lot of time bickering over rules, movement, range, etc when playing 40K. Also, it took a lot of storage and table space. So, in time we went to Space Hulk and played that whenever we found time. Love the game, but strategically it can get a little slow after playing a lot. Corridors are linear and so is the thinking in the game (not always, of course). But, that's one excellent feature to it: the rules make for very little bickering and, thus, a speedier game! So, my question: has anyone attempted to adapt similar rules to a LARGE game board? I'm picturing like a door-sized board with square or octagonal grids on it. Units move and shoot on the board in the same manner as Hulk...There will be inherent complications, but I'm imagining a game that moves swiftly.

This may be like heresy to you 40Kers out there, but it was just a thought. Like I said, we always fought over the darn distances, pulling out measuring tape, remeasuring, etc. Just don't have the interest for that these days! Thanks for reading.

SaveModifier
12-19-2013, 12:47 PM
I can't think so anything that would work really, there are game systems that abstract it a bit more, the newly released Dead Zone by mantic uses squares, cubes actually, and doesn't need tape measures, how long has it been since you played 40k? If you've not played since second ed, then you might be pleasantly surprised with how much faster the newer versions are

Popsical
12-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Try using the FW rules for void war in the Badab books on a large Space hulk board. This will take out vehicles and fliers from the game and make movement and shooting LOS easy, thus speeding the game up.

crashwins
12-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Honestly, it's been like 15 years. My thinking was to create a simple board and have it painted and simply add scenery and rules to it. A lot of the standing Hulk rules would work in such a game I'd think. My hope was that someone had tried it or maybe there's a game -- like you mentioned -- that uses a similar setup.

SaveModifier
12-19-2013, 02:49 PM
There are loads more games out there now, I'm sure one will fit and you could just use your old 80s models (they're the best ones), but honestly, if its been 15 years then the game is so much quicker now that you might just enjoy it, where abouts are you in the world mate? If you have a local GW store, maybe you could pop in for a demo of the new rules?

Haighus
12-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Try using the FW rules for void war in the Badab books on a large Space hulk board. This will take out vehicles and fliers from the game and make movement and shooting LOS easy, thus speeding the game up.

The Zone Mortalis rules? I really want to play a game with these, but getting enough terrain together for one is tricky. There is a free download on the FW website (bottom link on the right-hand column for 6th ed WH40K rules)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/fwDownloads

If you are having problems with measuring, you could use a Zone Mortalis board that has narrow corridors, and mark out squares on the board. If a corridor is one square wide, and you count each square as an Inch for measuring purposes, you get a sort of hybrid 40k-space hulk game. There would be a restriction that a model would have to move at least 1" (one square) in a move though, and all moves would have to be integer values.

crashwins
12-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks, folks. Really appreciate the advice. So sounds like I should give the new rules a shot before going through the insane trouble of building a door-sized Hulk board :) Could anyone point me in the right direction as to which edition I should get, rule book, etc? Thanks!

Anakzar
12-20-2013, 11:28 AM
I would do the most recent 6th ed. Codexes are coming fast and they FAQ the rules faster now as well. But you still may have trouble with measuring... But frankly that lies more with you and who you play with. If you quibble over 1/4 inch then you are missing the spirit of the game and the most important rule. (Have Fun!) Unless its fun for you to argue over that 1/4 inch...

Distances are messured from base to base for infantry. Vehicles are Hull instead of base. And vehicle's shots are from the weapon being fired. All clearly spelled out in the rules. But if you and your friends are the type to argue over whether a distance is 12 inches or 11&3/4 inches then you will still have trouble...

Xenith
12-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Play Kill team on the space hulk board, it will be awesome.

The Painting Pirate
12-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Yeah I think the Kill Team rules would be good for you if you want to play bigger armies than Space Hulk.