PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard Armored Battlegroup - 1250pts

IBlameMyRolls
12-16-2013, 03:23 PM
This is meant to be a fun 'little' army, as opposed to a competitive one, so when reading/critiquing, please keep that in mind.

HQ: COMPANY COMMAND TANK - Vanquisher Variant (275pts)
Armed with Vanquisher Cannon (Beast Hunter Shells), Lascannon, Multimelta sponsons, camp-netting, artificer hull, and Hunter killer missile.

TROOP: BATTLE TANK SQUADRON - Default Leman Russ (185pts)
Armed with Battle Cannon, Lascannon, and heavy Bolter sponsons.

TROOP: BATTLE TANK SQUADRON - Default Leman Russ (185pts)
Armed with Battle Cannon, Lascannon, and heavy Bolter sponsons.

LORD OF WAR: BANEBLADE - Maximillian Weissman (600pts)
Armed with Baneblade Cannon and co-axial autocannon, hull-mounted Demolisher cannon and twin-linked heavy Bolter, two sponsons with a Lascannon and a twin-linked heavy Bolter, and a pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter.

I'm aware that I don't have any scoring units, but as you might guess, the list is more tailored for tabling opponents. Likewise, I have no devoted anti-air, but I should hopefully have enough dakka to just get something to their face.

Any thoughts on how to expand to 1500 and beyond? Was thinking of adding a squad of two Vultures, or Vendettas.

Katharon
12-16-2013, 07:16 PM
1) Drop the HKM and the melta sponsons on the CCT. Your CCT Vanquisher should never be that close to actually use the melta sponsons and HKM are a poor investment in points for this low a point-total.

2) If you are going to put a lascannon and sponson weapons on a Leman Russ, do not put them on a tank that has its main Weapon as Ordnance. You'll spend the entire game having to choose between the three weapons and not doing enough damage. They're effectively a waste of points. I would switch them to either be Demolishers with just their stock hull heavy bolter, or make them Executioners with their turret gun being that awesome plasma cannon that doesn't GET HOT. Then its a worth investment to give them a lascannon with the plasma turret.

3) Weissman really isn't worth the points you're paying for him. Sure he has BS4 and you get to twin-link one weapon each turn, but there are better and cheaper Lord of War choices that can do more potential damage than Weissman. I would suggest picking a different LoW, like the 420pt Doomhammer baneblade. You can then use the spare points to fiddle with your other Leman Russ tanks.

4) If you go for 1,500+ then I would suggest: one Vulture Gunship with Punisher Gatling cannon and one Vendetta as is.

Overall, you are going to have to keep the range open with a list like this. In my experience using all tank lists (the ABG in particular) you need to use as much cover as you can and keep as much space as possible. Concentrate on killing troop transports in the first round and then you can shift to heavy hitters. It's those pesky guys with shiny hammers and shields that you have to watch out for.

IBlameMyRolls
12-17-2013, 10:00 AM
I thought Ordinance Weapons didn't bother tanks, letting them still shoot everything as normal.

Katharon
12-17-2013, 11:48 PM
I thought Ordinance Weapons didn't bother tanks, letting them still shoot everything as normal.

It use to, but Leman Russ Tanks lost their Lumbering Behemoth special rule, much to my great disappointment and anger. Read through the rules again, I can't remember the exact page right now, and it will show you. Even though a Leman Russ is a heaby tank, it cannot fire Ordnance weapons and its secondary weapons at the same BS anymore. :(

Houghten
12-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Weird thing is, according to IA v1 2e they still have it, even though the book came out much, much later than the Codex Imperial Guard FAQ that nerfed it to Heavy.

Possibly FW thought that was as stupid as I did.

Katharon
12-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Weird thing is, according to IA v1 2e they still have it, even though the book came out much, much later than the Codex Imperial Guard FAQ that nerfed it to Heavy.

Possibly FW thought that was as stupid as I did.

Yeah...I saw that too. Made feel a bit extra sad.

Houghten
01-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Or maybe my reading comprehension is just terrible. If you follow the asterisk next to Lumbering Behemoth in IA v1 2e, it doesn't take you to a bit of text that says Russes can fire their ordnance in addition to et cetera, it says they follow the rules for Heavy vehicles.

Phooey.

This Dave
01-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Or maybe my reading comprehension is just terrible. If you follow the asterisk next to Lumbering Behemoth in IA v1 2e, it doesn't take you to a bit of text that says Russes can fire their ordnance in addition to et cetera, it says they follow the rules for Heavy vehicles.

Phooey.

And what's the problem with that? Ordnance only bothers vehicles that move. Heavy vehicles can fire everything at full effectiveness since they always count as stationary. While it does make them slow moving I'll take the firepower any day.

Houghten
01-02-2014, 01:10 AM
I think you are confused with 5th Edition or maybe even 4th.

In 6th, a vehicle that fires an Ordnance weapon - regardless of whether or not it moved - can only fire Snap Shots with its other weapons.