PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Anyone know or have a technique for removing paint from plastics

pacopaco
12-06-2009, 04:22 PM
For my metal models I usually use break fluid and a wire brush. It works great. Lately I have had a couple of models soaking in L.A. Awesome (by suggestion of a GW employee no less) for a couple of weeks nowand the stuff is no good! The models are in no danger of having the detail being eaten away as the paint won't come off with an old toothbrush, even.
I'm thinking of soaking the plastics in break fluid as well, but for only a day.

Please comment or suggest.

Just_Me
12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
I have never tried it, but I have heard others have been successful with the break fluid on plastic approach, just use caution. Certainly don't use anything stronger, paint thinner will eat away at the plastic itself. If all else fails, you may be able to simply paint over the old stuff, but you would have to make a judgment call on that.

tallyrand
12-06-2009, 04:44 PM
I've had some success with something called TSP Substitute. A friend recommended TSP (Tri-Sodium-Phosphate) And when I couldn't find that I found the TSP Substitute at Wal-Mart with the other paint removers. It's a bottle of blue liquid about $5 US.

It's not 100% successful on all things, I still haven't figured why it will easily remove some paints and not others, but it's safe to soak plastics in long term without damage, and what paint it will remove, comes off easily. It doesn't seem to loosen superglue either.

Tetz
12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Plastics are a tough one... I have heard that people have used a diluted Castrol Super Clean (purple cleaner)... a 50/50 mix of it and water. I haven't tried that though.

I use simple green for my metals with great success, 100% simple green right out of the bottle.

For plastics I have used a 50/50 simple green/water mix on plastics. It works pretty well but you have to be careful not to let it sit too long. I usually do about 6 hours, then take a tooth brush and rub off the paint, if it needs a bit more time I will do it in 3 hour chunks. The problem with plastics is if the paint is caked on there sometimes the plastic will start to break down before all of the paint is removed.

unwieldysquig
12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
a 5 gallon bucket, a economy sized bottle of simple green, and patience is all I ever use for plastics. A decent hard bristle brush helps as well.

pacopaco
12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I've heard Simple Green works too, but after trying L.A. Awesome, I figure same kind of cleaner will give me the same kind of result. Testimony goes a long way though.

catalyst2
12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Dettol - yep, I know it sounds strange but it works. Cleaned off a sceond-hand Baslilisk for my son last week and it worked like a treat.

Bonus? An army with that pine fresh scent! :rolleyes:

biteymcrunrun
12-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I dont know if you can get it in USA but Ajax spray and wipe: baking soda works very very well. after about an hour you can start to get the paint off with a toothbrush, but it would probobly pay to leave the plastic in it overnight for better results. You can also leave the plastic in it for as long as you want without damaging the model in my experience

pacopaco
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Simple Green, eh? It looks like there's a consensus. I'll go out and get some and give it a shot. I've been losing battles on account of my Assault cannon termie soaking in the Orange stuff!

pacopaco
12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Plain Baking Soda? I can get that here, sure. what do I do, mix it with water and dip the model? that would be ideal. I brush my teeth with baking soda!

I dont know if you can get it in USA but Ajax spray and wipe: baking soda works very very well. after about an hour you can start to get the paint off with a toothbrush, but it would probobly pay to leave the plastic in it overnight for better results. You can also leave the plastic in it for as long as you want without damaging the model in my experience

Student Teacher
12-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Simple Green, eh? It looks like there's a consensus. I'll go out and get some and give it a shot. I've been losing battles on account of my Assault cannon termie soaking in the Orange stuff!

I've used simple green as well, and it has worked very well.

Brass Scorpion
12-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Most successful paint stripping hobbyists I know use SIMPLE GREEN on plastics. Remember, solvent based products will react with the styrene of your models and that's not a good thing. Do not use acetone, break fluid or anything remotely like those products on plastic models.

Dunvegan
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I've used something called Purple Power on both metal and plastic figs. It will not eat any plastic or glue no matter how long you let them soak. I even have some 1st edition space marines and squats that I've soaked in it and nothing bad has happened. Just use an old toothbrush to brush off the paint. You can find Purple Power at a local Wal-Mart. Good luck in your endeavor.

Faolain
12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Brake fluid will destroy your plastics. I have used pure Simple Green to great success. Wear rubber gloves though, it makes your hands smell like cleaner all day.

Commissar Lewis
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
I had a friend use something called Goof Off with good effect on his Chaos marines.

Kristov
12-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Been using simple 92% isopropal alcohol. Works decently if given time to soak well. Plus, there is zero chance of damaging plastics at all. Also, it is cheap.

krispy
12-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Not the safest way but it works - Mr Muscle Drain Cleaner
its granules that you mix with water and it makes caustic soda, its pretty nasty stuff that turns fats to soap and will burn skin but i have some good rubber gloves.
i just drop the minatures into a jar for an hour or two, pull it out with plyers or my rubber gloves and then wash it under warm water with a toothbrush and most of the paint just washes in big flat blobs.
if you dont get enough off just repeat again for another hour ot two.

- its totally bad for your fingers but it cleans the drain when you are doing it too!

/k

Lord Azaghul
12-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I've heard Simple Green works too, but after trying L.A. Awesome, I figure same kind of cleaner will give me the same kind of result. Testimony goes a long way though.

I use 'simple green'. Its great and effective and doesn't damage the model what so ever. It may loosen super glue bonds, but nothing else.

MarshalAdamar
12-07-2009, 09:25 AM
I use simple green concentrate with great success. Just put them in a tub and let them soak for a week! Doesn't work 100% of the time depending on what kind of paint they have on them.

Good luck!

sketchesofpayne
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I use straight-up, undiluted Simple Green. Let it soak for about 24 hrs and then scrub it off with a toothbrush. Don't worry about any ill effects. I've left models soaking for a week or more and they're fine.

iheartgrimdark
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Dettol - yep, I know it sounds strange but it works. Cleaned off a sceond-hand Baslilisk for my son last week and it worked like a treat.

Bonus? An army with that pine fresh scent! :rolleyes:

I use Dettol on plastic and metal miniatures and the results are excellent. Will improve even the worst paint job.

Morgrim
12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Do any of these damage greenstuff? I thankfully paint thin, so I've been able to rescue my conversions from a poor colour choice with repriming, but I can see how it would sometimes fail and it would nice to have a backup plan.