PDA

View Full Version : Which Super-Heavy will you be taking to Throne of Skulls?

RGilbert26
12-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Evening all, seeing that Warhammer World have announced that they are allowing Escalation in their ToS Tournaments, I was just wondering what people would take or will be taking when they next go.

If I were to go then I'm thinking of perhaps taking a ShadowSword.

RGilbert26
12-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Over 300 views and no replies?

Even if you're not from the UK you can still reply :)

Katharon
12-15-2013, 03:30 AM
A Reaver Titan.

Learn2Eel
12-15-2013, 03:34 AM
I'd take a Hierophant just because it is my favourite Gargantuan Creature/Super Heavy. However, if I was thinking competitively, I'd be taking a Revenant Titan with my Wraith Eldar.

Gir
12-15-2013, 04:10 AM
When my flgs runs their Escalations tournaments I'll be taking my Thunderhawk. Mostly so I can finally use it.

RGilbert26
12-15-2013, 04:28 AM
The problem I have with them allowing Escalation is that most super heavies are expensive and so a lot of the time you'll be spending at least a third of your points on one. But if you don't then you could be screwed for each game.

Katharon
12-15-2013, 05:42 AM
The problem I have with them allowing Escalation is that most super heavies are expensive and so a lot of the time you'll be spending at least a third of your points on one. But if you don't then you could be screwed for each game.

If you don't own a super heavy, then just make sure you have a unit of heavy hitters (Lascannon Devastators for example) that can deal with them.

Mr Mystery
12-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Ascendant C'Tan.

Eat stargod, puny mortals!

Nefarius Drapesh
12-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Uhm... lord of skulls boosted with grimoire sounds tempting...

Cow
12-15-2013, 07:35 AM
angraath or the tzeentch big bird as with a grimnoire they would be broken

Mr Mystery
12-15-2013, 07:44 AM

You would!! :p

Archon Charybdis
12-15-2013, 12:05 PM

Step 1.) Bring Giga-Polly to an escalation game.

Step 2.) Did your opponent bring a D-weapon?

If No: Win. Lick the delicious tears of pain off your opponent's cheeks.

If Yes: Still stand a good chance of winning. Enjoy the enraged, anguished howls of your defeated foe.

daboarder
12-15-2013, 02:37 PM
I think people need to remember that FW rules are not allowed at throne of skulls, therefore you only have the options listed in the escalation book to choose form. In which case, did you bring a revenant? If not GG man!

nurglez
12-15-2013, 06:14 PM
I wont be bringing one. As I'll be taking either Chaos or daemons and hate the lord of battle.

Guess I need to pack more melta... and at least if my opponent brings a revenant I'll have more time to drink :D

deinol
12-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Eldar Strike Force

1 Revenant Titan
1 Farseer
3 Dire Avengers Squad
3 Wave Serpents

(Note, I haven't actually pointed out this list. Also, I don't have a Revenant Titan. Nor do I live in the UK.)

Weidekuh
12-16-2013, 05:44 AM
None.
But i would take a list that specifically counters super heavies or titans.
At 1750points as Eldar i can get 3x10 Warp Spiders with an Exarch (spinneret rifle, fast shot). This alone will kill a revenant titan. Add 4xbright lances guardians, two farseers to twin link everything, 3xvibro cannons support batteries, lots of small jetbike troops and you're good to go.
Now pray to play against super heavies. :D

Katharon
12-16-2013, 06:40 AM
I think people need to remember that FW rules are not allowed at throne of skulls, therefore you only have the options listed in the escalation book to choose form. In which case, did you bring a revenant? If not GG man!

FW released a list of their models allowed as Lords of War. Ergo, you can take them to Throne of Skulls.

Mr.Pickelz
12-16-2013, 07:43 AM
A Gargauntuan Squiggoth, with Big Squiggoths following. Make it an Orky Stampede list.

nurglez
12-16-2013, 12:55 PM
FW released a list of their models allowed as Lords of War. Ergo, you can take them to Throne of Skulls.

Er, not quite. It hasn't been said that non escalation book lords of war are allowed. so until WW say they are, we can't take them.

From the code of battle.

If the event you are attending is using the
Warhammer 40,000 system, the following
publications (either digital or printed) are available
for you to choose your armies from:
• Codex: Adepta Sororitas
• Codex: Blood Angels
• Codex: Chaos Daemons
• Codex: Chaos Space Marines
• Codex: Dark Angels
• Codex: Dark Eldar
• Codex: Eldar
• Codex: Grey Knights
• Codex: Imperial Guard
• Codex: Inquisition
• Codex: Necrons
• Codex: Orks
• Codex: Space Marines
• Codex: Space Wolves
• Codex: Tau Empire
• Codex: Tyranids
• All Warhammer 40,000 Dataslate publications
from Games Workshop: Digital Editions
• Any Codex Expansion, for example Iyandan,
the Farsight Enclaves, Black Legion etc.
• Rules and unit entries from pages 34 - 81 of
Escalation.
• Rules and unit entries from pages 12 - 36 of
Stronghold Assault.
• Death from the Skies – please note this
compendium from pages 53 to 72 will be in use
at all our Warhammer 40,000 events. Entries
will be replaced as time goes by, as Codexes are
released which include the units presented within
Death from the Skies. We expect everyone to use
the most recently released version of each unit
entry. If you have any questions regarding this,
please just contact us.

dwez
12-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Trying to come to terms with this, I don't have any Lord of War for my Tyranids and who knows what sort of heavy hitters we'll have come January. Currently if I was to turn up to ToS with my Tyranids and look at a Lord of War across the table I may as well pack up and go home, £62.50 well spent! That's not to say I disagree with them allowing both sets of rules, they should, it just screws some of us over.

Thus my only recourse is to turn to Stronghold Assault and fortress up with as much defensive structures as I can and try and hide from the incoming storm. Hmm, I'm of the firm belief that nids can have defensive structures - they do have Hives after all, that's what the Hive Guard guard but even I'm stretching my fluff a bit with just weathering the storm thanks to a complete lack of high strength weaponry, do you think 4 Hive Guard is enough? :(

RGilbert26
12-16-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm in the same boat. I don't want to have to spend a third of my army on a super heavy, nor do I want to have to design an army solely for the purpose of killing a super heavy.

nurglez
12-16-2013, 07:04 PM
I bought a ticket to the March throne of skulls before they announced escalation. I play chaos, and Don't like the lord of battle (only way I'd buy it would be if I had a great conversion planned, and I've got more then enough things to assemble/paint).

It does spice the game up, and I'm still looking forward to throne of skulls, as I get to meet up with a bunch of people I haven't seen, and get to play new opponents in a lovely gaming hall.

Also considering I'll be scoring vs other chaos players, there will probably be fewer as people switch armies to ones with viable super heavies.

I feel sorry for eldar plays, as they can have the best super heavy, they will be scoring vs other players who may have brought them.

interrogator_chaplain
12-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Thus my only recourse is to turn to Stronghold Assault and fortress up with as much defensive structures as I can and try and hide from the incoming storm. Hmm, I'm of the firm belief that nids can have defensive structures

I completely agree with this, you only have to look up the Tyranid Bastion projects and Aegis Defence Lines that have been done Tyranid style to confirm that. I can easily see the Tyranids making a Void Shield Generator (A large circular structure with upper battlements and a large hollow proboscis snaking up to the sky to project a dome of psychic energy would make sense right?) to serve their needs.

Popsical
12-17-2013, 03:08 PM
For the life of me i cannot understand the non admission of FW lists and units from ToS now.
A revenant or harridan is ok. A ws4 guardsman with a lasgun isnt.
Mixing 4 different types of army together is fine and not confusing. Using a maureen list with an objective that penalises the owner isnt.
Its just daft.
Come on GW pull your finger out and finish opening the flood gates.
Id actually go to ToS if i could take my astral claws.

Gutzmek
01-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Killbursta with the kannon upgrade running with some battle wagons I think :)

Renegade
01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
I have a Malcador... Fear my little proto-Russ!

Popsical
01-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Well. Since my last post on this thread, my request has been answered.
So if i take a super this year it will be either a typhon or cerberus.
If i take my tyrants legion it will be a gorgon.
Huzzah for GW.

RGilbert26
01-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Ooh this is a first, one of my own threads got necro'd :P

Still not sure if I'm going to use a super heavy. Yet to buy either of the two expansions.