PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with forgeworld?

dasher03
12-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Hey all,
I've got about 6000 points of Dark Angels and after 3 years I'm finally in the process of painting them all.
I would like to purchase some forgeworld tanks, dreadnoughts, etc. but I don't really know where to start.
There are so many different books and I don't want to have to buy three different $100 books to use three different models.
If anybody could point me in the correct or best direction I would really appreciate it.

DWest
12-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Imperial Armour 2: Second Edition has all of the current rules for Space Marine vehicles in one location. As for an initial unit to purchase, I would recommend either a Sicaran Battletank (the accelerator autocannon is brilliant!) or a Storm Eagle gunship. Both are fairly substantial purchases, but they're both very solid units, and also specifically add something that DA can't cover within their book.

Hope this helps!

Mr.Pickelz
12-13-2013, 04:59 PM
After the IA:2 Book, i would look into Chaplin Dreads (for fluffy stuff) Fellblades (for apoc) Storm Eagles or a Thunderhawk (for flyers). The tarantula Turrets are fun, the Deathstorm drop pod is weird now, since you have to pay points for the Drop Pod Assault special rule...

the book really gives you everything you could want, vehicle wise, for Space Marines.

euansmith
12-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Where to start with Forge World? A trip to the bank to arrange a larger overdraft facility.

Pssyche
12-14-2013, 04:49 AM
Sell...More...Kidneys...

Popsical
12-14-2013, 05:14 AM
Shop... on... ebay...

thingol
12-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Shop... on... ebay...

Yeah, we all wonder how the Russians get those amazing "bulk discounts"...

AnEnemy
12-15-2013, 11:58 PM
If its your first attempt at modeling with resin then start slow. A dreadnought should do the trick.

Deadlift
12-16-2013, 12:09 AM
My vote goes for a Dreadnought, but personally I'd say a Mortis Contemptor. This would be a the Contemptor kit, x 2 Kheres Assault Cannons and the Cyclone Missile Launcher.
They look great, the kits easy to build and pose in all manner of positions, they are a good competitive choice and deal with flyers effectively, lovely to paint and if you do want to magnetise the arms that's dead easy too.

Psychosplodge
12-16-2013, 05:05 AM
If not a dreadnought grab yourself some DA vehicle doors, or some old mk rhino kits, or armour upgrades.
What about the terminator shoulder pads?
Little things you can add to you're existing force, and give you an idea of what you're working with.

Gutzmek
01-15-2014, 11:45 AM
I would recommend the new apocalypse book, I bought it after I picked up IA 8 and thought it was on point for expanding your army in to a true legion.

SON OF ROMULOUS
01-16-2014, 05:55 PM
okay the sicaran is a beautiful tank but where the resin and model met resulted in a difficult separation. you had to be very careful when removing the pieces. also with the larger tank bits i've found that your likely to need some boiling water to make the pieces malable enough to fit snuggly. This is also true of the storm eagle and fire raptor. but in all honesty the extra work is well worth the time and effort. also if this is your first time working with resin don't forget to clean the pieces prior to assembly usually warm water a tooth brush and some dish soap work well. other wise when primming the mold release can cause your base coat to chip or to flake off.

As for starter model's what do you want them for? do you want to play with them in regular games or in appoc? if regular games the latest IA was well worth the cost for the fluff and pics alone let alone for the rules. so i'd grab that then i went sicaran becuase it looks menacing and after that perhaps it would be worth while to pick up one of the fliers or simply some of the older armour marks to work them into you units.