PDA

View Full Version : Does 40k Need a Dispel Ability?

Tepogue
12-13-2013, 10:59 AM
In this day and age of 2++ reroll. I am thinking 40k needs the ability use Warp Charges to dispel enemy Blessings. I don't know how would be best to implement it. I think this could curtail the worst of the screamer stars and seer jet bike councils. It would also give a way to remove Biomancy off of Tyranid Monstrous Creatures. (Baring what the new codex brings)

DarkLink
12-13-2013, 11:01 AM
But GW decided to make psychic hoods terrible instead. Way to go.

Angelofblades
12-13-2013, 11:07 AM
But that's only for SM armies...they should have just let Deny the witch work against all powers.

Mr.Pickelz
12-13-2013, 11:39 AM
dispelling adds a big complication to psykers in general. Whether through wargear or special rules, the points cost of every psyker with that ability would be up for a points cost overhaul.

generalchaos34
12-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Considering how hard it is sometimes just to get a psyker power to go off, then hit, then pass a deny roll, i would say that it is a "blessing" that blessings are not dispelable. Considering the non-viability of many of the shooting and malediction attacks when it comes to the hurdles of actually using them, I would not advocate for any way to remove blessing, lest you completely remove the viability of psykers in general. Granted there are some super silly uses, but due to the random factor the likelihood of getting those ridiculous powers is still low.

I would only consider dispelling if AND ONLY if psyker powers were no longer random. That way if im going to have to contend with not getting my power to work at least its the power i wanted.

Tepogue
12-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Considering how hard it is sometimes just to get a psyker power to go off, then hit, then pass a deny roll, i would say that it is a "blessing" that blessings are not dispelable. Considering the non-viability of many of the shooting and malediction attacks when it comes to the hurdles of actually using them, I would not advocate for any way to remove blessing, lest you completely remove the viability of psykers in general. Granted there are some super silly uses, but due to the random factor the likelihood of getting those ridiculous powers is still low

I guess I see the other side of the coin. Too many of the blessings are superior when compared to all the other powers. The very least is the Deny the Witch roll which stops 1/6 (at the very least) I'm thinking perhaps

1 warp charge = 6+ to dispel
2 warp charge = 5+ to dispel
3 warp charge = 4+ to dispel

This would not need a points increase since you are trading off being able to use your psyker offensively with malidictions or shooting.

Sure we will see some people bring just a dispel-bot but it would give purpose to more psykers overall, I think

Mr Mystery
12-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Necrons. Dark Eldar. Tau.

No psykers.

What would they get?

generalchaos34
12-13-2013, 01:24 PM
I guess I see the other side of the coin. Too many of the blessings are superior when compared to all the other powers. The very least is the Deny the Witch roll which stops 1/6 (at the very least) I'm thinking perhaps

This would not need a points increase since you are trading off being able to use your psyker offensively with malidictions or shooting.

Sure we will see some people bring just a dispel-bot but it would give purpose to more psykers overall, I think

I like this, because now your psyker is sacrificing his buffs and attacks to do this, so its become more of a mind battle, additionally, it means that the non psyker races wont lose much in turn because it then devolves into psyker v psyker combat

kire
12-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Considering how hard it is sometimes just to get a psyker power to go off, then hit, then pass a deny roll, i would say that it is a "blessing" that blessings are not dispelable. Considering the non-viability of many of the shooting and malediction attacks when it comes to the hurdles of actually using them, I would not advocate for any way to remove blessing, lest you completely remove the viability of psykers in general. Granted there are some super silly uses, but due to the random factor the likelihood of getting those ridiculous powers is still low.

I would only consider dispelling if AND ONLY if psyker powers were no longer random. That way if im going to have to contend with not getting my power to work at least its the power i wanted.

This is exactly the problem with blessings they are more powerful than other psy powers because that don't now to hit and cant be denied. having said that the answer is in my opinion to increase the power of non blessing not nerf blessings

DarkLink
12-13-2013, 02:19 PM

You regenerate warp charges each player turn.

Tepogue
12-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Necrons. Dark Eldar. Tau.

No psykers.

What would they get?

Allies perhaps are the easiest answer. In my mind at least, armies with psykers should be able to handle psykers better then the non-psyker armies.

Tepogue
12-13-2013, 03:09 PM
You regenerate warp charges each player turn.

Exactly, easiest place to insert the dispelling is at the start of movement when Blessings are normally cast. Also Dispelling will need a range assigned to it, 12 inches perhaps. So the player must decide, does he use charges to cast his own blessing or dispel an enemy blessing or save for shooting/force weapons.

SON OF ROMULOUS
12-13-2013, 03:09 PM
The problem's with those units were answered with D weapons but everyone rebelled and complainted that they were uterly broken. Right now the psyhers are costed to take into consideration their leadership as well as the chance to miscast or to fail. If you introduce a way to dispel powers that specifically targets units belessing themselves or another friendly unit how do you justify the cost of that ability? let alone the cost of the psycher who pays to be able to buff his own forces?

Alot of the problem is divination and that for some reason is selectivly skips over certian factions while other's it does what ever uf feeks like. If they had just balanced out that then it would not be as bad. i know for me it makes little sense that space marines have no access to divination unless you play wolves BA or DA or grey knights. but what ever the answer to offensive spells always are deny the witch thats your chane for free to dispel. a blessing doesn't target you so why should you get a chance to deflect my powers when your not the target? i already have a chance for perils and i already have a chance to cause a wound or to fail the test altogether.

you could always be an army with no psychers.... try that and see how you enjoy the game when you can't even partiipate in an entire pahse.

DarkLink
12-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Divination is mainly good not because it's crazy good (like Iron Arm is), but it's the most consistant. Only scryers gaze is bad, but the Primaris is the best of all the disciplines. If the other charts weren't so hit or miss, it would be much more balanced.

Exactly, easiest place to insert the dispelling is at the start of movement when Blessings are normally cast. Also Dispelling will need a range assigned to it, 12 inches perhaps. So the player must decide, does he use charges to cast his own blessing or dispel an enemy blessing or save for shooting/force weapons.

I should clarify. Currently, if you added a 'psyker may expend a warp charge to dispel an enemy power when an enemy attempts to cast one', then that would almost always occur in the opposing player's turn. You would burn your warp charges on your dispel attempts, then your next turn regenerate your warp charges and cast your own psychic powers. So you don't have to pick and choose between your own stuff and your opponent's as the rules currently stand.

generalchaos34
12-13-2013, 03:39 PM
This is exactly the problem with blessings they are more powerful than other psy powers because that don't now to hit and cant be denied. having said that the answer is in my opinion to increase the power of non blessing not nerf blessings

I agree wholeheartedly. If they even doubled the range of all ranged psyker attacks that would be dandy, they wouldnt even have to increase the power. As it stands stuff like Pyromancy is mostly garbage and their primaris is also pretty garbage, and thats the tree that should be made for high damage. Telepathy should not be your go to discipline for putting out wounds, you should be able to burn some heretics from a safe distance. Also, there should be a max range for deny rolls

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
12-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Divination is mainly good not because it's crazy good (like Iron Arm is), but it's the most consistant. Only scryers gaze is bad, but the Primaris is the best of all the disciplines. If the other charts weren't so hit or miss, it would be much more balanced.Mmm, I'd rather see Lores with a decent Primaris and three slightly more powerful, but very similar, randomized spells.