PDA

View Full Version : what should i name a space wolf decendant chapter?

sicarius2424
12-04-2009, 04:59 PM
i have some space wolves and i'm trying to see what i should call them i don't want a preexisting chapter because i want t obe able to create fluff for them :confused::eek::(

well the choices are:
tundra wolves-white
ice wolves-white/grey or a grayish blue
fire wolves-red
blood wolves-red(had a freind who plays dawn of war kept saying blood ravens):p

and hey guys try to give me paint schemes please i have ideas as you can see but nothing set in stone i would like it to be simple yet good (no halving or quartering i'm not that good a painter)

ChaplainCliff
12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
there has only been one space-wolves succesors and they where exterminated by the inquisition because their mutations became out of control. there after the machanicus never made a space-wolves succesor.

Herald of Nurgle
12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Let's put it this way... you're not thinking successors, you're thinking either:
- 'feral peoplez' (who happen to use SW rules - a la Goatboy)
- 'inner bands' (the people who follow X Wolf Lord at Y Time)
- 'chaos thing' (renegades or CSM, like Skyrar's Dark Wolves)

When I name things, I generally look at fluff, connections, and synonyms. For SW...
- Pick an animal/stage of animal growth - wolf, bear, cubs, packs, etc.
- Pick an anatomy part - claws, talons, teeth, maws, etc.
- Pick an order - Wolf Claws, Wolf Pack, etc.
- Perhaps add something mystical - Brothers, Brotherhood, Band, Company, Lords, etc.
- Add colours? - red, blue, black, white, etc.

Brotherhood of the Bearkin, The White Wolves, Wolf Pack, The Stalkers...

Grotzooka
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
The crazy barbarians in space.

Just_Me
12-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Fist of all, I see no reason that a new army idea should be shut down before it even gets started by saying "the fluff contradicts this, so NO." The 40k lore is intentionally vague and flexible, and for nearly every "absolute" rule there is an exception. If you want a Wolves descendant chapter (for whatever reason), then you are perfectly justified in doing so. While it is true that there are no known successors to the Space Wolves still in operation, the Wolves themselves are much larger than a normal codex chapter, and each of the Great Companies tends to be very individualistic, almost to the point of independence. So if you want to give your Wolves a different color scheme and their own name you can justify it as their being a particularly individualistic Great Company with their own special traditions.

sicarius2424
12-04-2009, 09:43 PM
i have never seen nore heard of this before i looked on lexicanium and all i found was that it was dibanded nothiung about they never having another founding chapter

Gotthammer
12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I like Ice Wolves most, though perhaps change it up to Ice Fangs to distinguish them that little more.

Cryl
12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Ice Fangs sounds quite cool... and they wouldn't have to be a successor chapter, they could just be similar in combat approach and traditions. That should let you use the Wolves Codex easily enough whilst still having your own chapter inside the 40k background

Sam
12-06-2009, 12:32 AM
there has only been one space-wolves succesors and they where exterminated by the inquisition because their mutations became out of control. there after the machanicus never made a space-wolves succesor.

There has only been one KNOWN space wolves successor chapter. That's a giant gaping loop-hole right there.

sicarius2424
12-06-2009, 05:44 PM
There has only been one KNOWN space wolves successor chapter. That's a giant gaping loop-hole right there.

yeah i thought of this the chapter would have to be so secret that only fellow space marines would know and even then that would be ify they would fight on battle feilds where they only have each other to rely on and if they could they would help desperate imperials on the verge of being crushed basically like the legion of the damned:cool:

sicarius2424
12-14-2009, 10:59 PM

wait hold on there pal i was gazing at the map in 5th edition space marines there are 2 space wolfish sounding chapters with wolfish chapter symbols to the galactic south-westish check it out if you can get back with the names

sicarius2424
12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
ha found it they are called the red wolves very little info on them buit they are a space wolf sounding chapter

person person
12-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Maybe you should just do Red Wolves then?

I voted Ice Fangs BTW.

Let's put it this way... you're not thinking successors, you're thinking either:
- 'feral peoplez' (who happen to use SW rules - a la Goatboy)
- 'inner bands' (the people who follow X Wolf Lord at Y Time)
- 'chaos thing' (renegades or CSM, like Skyrar's Dark Wolves)

When I name things, I generally look at fluff, connections, and synonyms. For SW...
- Pick an animal/stage of animal growth - wolf, bear, cubs, packs, etc.
- Pick an anatomy part - claws, talons, teeth, maws, etc.
- Pick an order - Wolf Claws, Wolf Pack, etc.
- Perhaps add something mystical - Brothers, Brotherhood, Band, Company, Lords, etc.
- Add colours? - red, blue, black, white, etc.

Brotherhood of the Bearkin, The White Wolves, Wolf Pack, The Stalkers...

This also sounds like a great approach too.

Subject Keyword
12-23-2009, 07:29 PM
You could try Dark Wolves from the C:SM codex and just use them with SW rules...

Marshal2Crusaders
12-24-2009, 12:26 AM
yeah i thought of this the chapter would have to be so secret that only fellow space marines would know and even then that would be ify they would fight on battle feilds where they only have each other to rely on and if they could they would help desperate imperials on the verge of being crushed basically like the legion of the damned:cool:

Throw in some female marines and repentant traitors while your at it. Don't forget having them be lost in the warp with a contingent of custodians and eldar. And a Primarch.

imperialsavant
12-24-2009, 12:56 AM

Yeah Agreed!
Look at all the self made SM Codex chapters around.
Just because the Fluff said there WAS only one successor chapter does NOT say there WONT be one in the future. So GO for it & my vote went for "Ice Fangs" Nice change from Wolves & will make them sound different. :cool:

Marshal2Crusaders
12-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah Agreed!
Look at all the self made SM Codex chapters around.
Just because the Fluff said there WAS only one successor chapter does NOT say there WONT be one in the future. So GO for it & my vote went for "Ice Fangs" Nice change from Wolves & will make them sound different. :cool:

The last founding was before the Damocles Gulf Crusade. And it is fluff that the AM never made another SW successor. Just make Barbarian marines for crying out loud they dont need to be space wolves. Its not like the space wolves actually dont conform to the codex, they still have assault, devastators, and tacticals.

rkiviman
12-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Blood wolves fits a barbaric chapter. Non-codex and do it your own way. Just think Psycho-blood drinking wolves on the prowl for the Emperor!!:D

Denzark
12-24-2009, 03:45 AM
The Flea Bites...

Aldramelech
12-24-2009, 04:57 AM
Goodbye

Fellend
12-24-2009, 05:07 AM
Didn't Leman Russ take his best men and run into the webway? They could easily have been stranded somewhere and unable to get back started rebuilding their chapter wherever they ended up.
They could be all dark and moody like the Dark Angels because they know the truth about what happened with Russ.
Or only the chapter master knows the dark secret and the rest is fighting to guard some "invaluable" relic not knowing what it is. Maybe they forsake the name of Space Wolves because something happened?

Maybe they are the first ever successor chapter to the Space wolves due to some internal conflict, maybe they can't take it anymore and NEED to hunt down Russ or at least find his corpse, the Chapter doesn't want to acknowledge this actions so X amount of marines are thrown out and form their own chapter to search for Russ.

The story oppertunities are endless

sicarius2424
12-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Throw in some female marines and repentant traitors while your at it. Don't forget having them be lost in the warp with a contingent of custodians and eldar. And a Primarch.

no to the female marines there is an imperial tome that says no female soldiers except for the sisters of battle