PDA

View Full Version : Best Background?

Emperorsmercy
08-02-2009, 06:12 AM
I love reading codexes, and I now have one of pretty much evry army. Many have more fluff than others, and of various quality. Which Army do you think has the best and most interesting fluff in their books? and Which need more? In my Opinion:

Best- Orks. I thought t was a graet read with characterful background and stories. Though its not as big as the massive Space marine one, for pure entertainment I think orks are the best.

Worst- Dark eldar. I love the army, like their background from other sources but the codex is dry with very little at all. this is probably because it is one of the older ones and is another reason they need an update.

So, what do you think?

Andrew283
08-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Best- Tau

Mindless-Focus
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM
gotta agree, the Dark Eldar need more. I would love to know more about the necrons and the early galactic wars.

bob
08-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Almost all of the new fluff reads like fanfic
I know the reason for this is alot of fluff is now written by people who once wrote fanfic
But does that make it any better?
no
In short i buy codices now purely for rules

TheKingElessar
08-02-2009, 09:32 AM
I only buy Dexes for rules also. Fluff is nice extra, but I can get better from the Black Library, older Codexes, or my own head.

kitiara
08-02-2009, 09:45 AM
chaos, without doubt

Zigmunth
08-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Orks in my opinion... so various and wacky... plus you can add to it whatever you want and it won't feel awkward.

Inquisitor McSagington
08-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Though I love chaos I gotta go with Orks.
An out of control race of bio-weapons, whose idea of fun is genocide, who worship big versions of themselves, and who have a disturbingly perfect society-no hunger, want, or intolerance.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I think all the minor races have far more interesting backround than any of the (mostly boring now) supported races. I'd say the Hrud probably have the coolest backround, the Saruthi have neat fluff too...for worst id have to say the majority of chaos legions, which I find even more boring and cliche than imperial legions shockingly.

Magos
08-02-2009, 03:06 PM
The Saruthi are so very lovecraftian, I rather like them.

I doubt it, but it would be nice to see more of them.

Mindless-Focus
08-02-2009, 03:07 PM
okay, i remember the Saruthi from that one Inquisitor book but where can i read more on the Hrud? i always wanted to do a Hrud army back when i thought they were skavenesque.

DevilUknow
08-02-2009, 03:57 PM
The best fluff is the stuff written like artifacts of the universe itself. The Xenology book, the Sabbat Crusade, the Uplifting Primer, the bits and pieces that read like reports in the codexs; the 3rd edition SM Codex only had a couple of pages of fluff at the back, but it is still some of my favorite.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-02-2009, 04:59 PM
@Mindless-Focus,

yeah, read Xenology..if you can find a copy, its sort of my own personal 40k "holy grail" as its mostly all about the stuff I like. Its got some cool stuff about Hrud, and also details their God Qah aka the Umbra. They still get references today..the latest being in Planetstrike which details them using some kind of "field" of some sort which causes rapid-ageing on the imperial guard they were fighting.

If you want links ;

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hrud (cool pic of one, but id say theres other "types" than the one pictured as some cover themselves in material and seem smaller/tinier in size..allthough that might be their weird biology!)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Qah

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Umbra

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cinchare_Hrud_Infestation

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Plague_of_Delphic (this battle sounds awesome imo)

@Magos,

they really are, its what peaked my interest in "Chaos Aliens", I like the idea of dozens of entire fallen civilizations out there who worship chaos, it becomes more interesting when we dont know these aliens "looked" before they were corrupted too. So they can effectively avoid the usual "added spikes" cliches. I wish there was more on Chaos worshipping races.

imperialsavant
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM
:confused:Well one group that badly need some back story are the Grey Knights.
They get my vote for the worst background & Fluff. Virtually no background in the Daemonhunters Codex so lets hope we get some via the H Heresy books as the story unfolds!

Regards Barry H.

RocketRollRebel
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Hmm I am a fan of the tyranid and daemon codex fluff sections but I gotta say Orks have the best and just a great codex all around.

Chaos
08-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Chaos and Eldar

Magos
08-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I really wish it was doable to find a copy of xenology for less then 65$

CrimsonFist1149
08-06-2009, 11:22 PM
yeah i agree with you on the orks. that codex was a lot of fun to read. the dark angels have a really interesting background too, with all the secrecy and everthing it really gets you thinking.

Duke
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Best: Blood Angels- I really love the idea of Sanguinius and his noble sacrifice. Also, the whole idea of vampire-like Space Marines is awsome, go Death Company!

Worst: Tau- Look, Gundam suit in 40k! but wait, how did they get so technologically advanced in such a short amount of time?... Lets give them some super smart dude to lead them! Done! I like some of the ideas for Tau, but on the whole it is lacking a bit I think (IMHO)

Duke