PDA

View Full Version : JWolf's How to play 40k

SkizO!
12-03-2009, 07:49 PM
A few of you might remember this ( hopefully JWolf also can...)

It was published about a year ago on BOLS, a short article on the do's and don't's of playing 40k, and other games as a matter of fact. At the time, I printed a copy to act as our FLGS's official rules and the 2-3 page leaflet as since then been read so many times I will need a cleaner version of it.

Alas, I can't find it anymore.

I was hoping one of you fellow BOLS-er was wittier than I and saved this somewhere or knows it's exact location.

Thanks you very much, please pardon the poor english.

DarkLink
12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Talking about this? http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/01/editorial-whats-wrong-with-40k-today.html

Sounds similar, at least.

SkizO!
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
It was similar to this one, but quite longer...

Stuff about knowing the rules, dice rolling convention, personnal hygiene... It really covered all the Noobs and common sense stuff... I'm working tomorrow so I'll find the exact title of the article, this should help quite a bit.

Duke
12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
this may seem a little too obvious, but have you PM'd Jwolf?

Duke

AdamHarry
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/03/editorial-40k-etiquette.html

I think this is the one you are referring too.

40k Etiquette.

SkizO!
12-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah, that's the one... I googled the 1st few lines to find it... for som reason the bols searchy-thingy failed to pick up the word Etiquette :confused:

And, yes it was obvious, I should have PM'd Jwolf. I didn't. But I found it nontheless!

Thanks guys.

Duke
12-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I think all clubs/ FLGS should have these rules up!

Brosef Stalin
12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, those rules are pretty fantastic. Though I usually only pen and paper my army list for games, but hell, it'd be a nice habit to get into (typing up lists, that is).

sirrouga
12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
A simple list but I know at least one person that breaks each of those rules, which is a shame really. There are some other points to be taken up there, such as always marking what damage vehicles have or how many wounds that Hive Tyrant or Tau Commander has. None of the stuff is game breaking but it does help the overall enjoyment of the game.

I do admit I do write up lists as I make my lists right at the time of the game depending on game size and how my opponent plays (Casual, Competitive, Tournament, etc). I do make sure it is a readable list through, if I do a lot of changes or ends up hard to read I will rewrite the list. I find quickly writing up an easy to read list is a very handy skill to have in 40k.

crazyredpraetorian
12-06-2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/03/editorial-40k-etiquette.html

I think this is the one you are referring too.

40k Etiquette.

Now, that is being a best sportsman.

Darkseer
12-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I remember when I won 'best sportsman' at a tournament.

There was a draw in nominations between myself and another guy, so we had to roll a dice for it.

He rolled a 1.
I rolled a 6.

I'd had a bit to drink, so I thought it would be funny to scream

"YEAH! IN YOUR FACE!!"

Thank god everyone else thought it was funny as well.

AdamHarry
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Now, that is being a best sportsman.

Crazyred is just giving me a hard time cause I won best sport at BoLSCON '09 and then he won best sportsman at another tourney a few months later. It's sorta an inside joke. I lol'd @ it.

On a side note I totally agree with all the points Jwolf brought up in the article. They all seem so simple and most players do abide by them without realizing. Having them written out in a public format for everyone to read just makes the hobby better.

One of the things I like about this hobby and take comfort in is that I know i can travel to anywhere in the country (or world for that matter) and know that everyone is using the same rules. The game itself becomes a sorta universal language between players...And once you "speak" the language you can play with anyone and (hopefully) have a good time. Proper 40k Etiquette just helps with that ice breaking even more so.

Morgrim
12-08-2009, 11:00 PM
One thing I'll disagree on is 'lists must be typed'. I can give 'lists are incredibly neatly handwritten and legible in a format that approximates typing', but I have little to no access to a printer and I'm not forking out printing fees every time I'm tweaking a list as I learn.

If someone had an issue with said lists, I'm not playing them. I'd assume they were going to be a jerk.

DarkLink
12-09-2009, 12:15 AM
One thing I'll disagree on is 'lists must be typed'. I can give 'lists are incredibly neatly handwritten and legible in a format that approximates typing', but I have little to no access to a printer and I'm not forking out printing fees every time I'm tweaking a list as I learn.

If someone had an issue with said lists, I'm not playing them. I'd assume they were going to be a jerk.

I'd agree. My group writes our lists on the spot, most of the time. Pencil and paper work just fine.

Lerra
12-09-2009, 12:42 PM
A few of the rules seem to be local conventions, but that's perfectly understandable.

Around here, we often measure from the middle and not from the front, especially for vehicles. I'll announce where I'm measuring from before movement (usually a central turret or do-dad). Pivoting and movement around corners is easier when you've got an established central point. If you're dealing with a tall infantry model, it's often easier to measure from head to head versus trying to eyeball the front of the base while leaning over the table. As long as you're clear about it, it shouldn't really matter what point you pick for measurement.

We do handwritten lists, too, even for tournaments. Lots of people don't have access to a printer.