PDA

View Full Version : Personal reflection on the meta shift

Isaac Gutierrez
12-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Have seen a lot of complaining about the new datasleets, the suplementa, escalation and stronghold, the short time for new codexes to arrive, and most of it has to do on how this new rules change the meta.

To tell you the truth, I feel very good about all of it. The way new rules change the game so quickly makes it very hard for any player to follow the "meta shift" and bring the best list against everybody every time. Instead, it encourages the use of the army one likes and wants to play. So many changes make me feel more free to play whatever I want. Now, if im going to a tournament, there are so many crazy combos and so many rules variations that it is silly to plan against any of them, and istead I can play the units I like because I like them.

By doing this I cannot be sure if I will win a lot or lose a lot, but one thing Im sure, I will have fun.

please GW, bring more supplements and datasleets and minidexes, and whatever else you like. May be then the "power players" will stop using those "unbeatable lists" and may begin using whatever they find fun to play. May be that way, even in a tournament one could have fun playing and not only sharing with friends the stress of competition

Mr Mystery
12-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Meta is misleading anyway, as typically there simply isn't enough actual useful data available to us gamers. Plenty anecdotes, but very little actual data. For instance 'well, Daemons must be hard because they place well in Tournaments'. That's anecdote. Not data. Why did they place well? What forces did they come up against? Did the opposing force make a tactical blunder? How did the dice fall on that occasion? If 50% of top placings were Daemon armies, is this reflective of their general proportional respresentation at the tournament? If so, why? Are they popular because they're genuinely nuts hard, or is it simply a lot of people netlisting rather than exploring things on their own?

So much to consider before we head out the world of anecdote and into the bright world of actual useful stuff!

But otherwise, yes. More variety please. Keeps the game fresh for all concerned! And being optional, nobody can actually legitimiately whine about them!

Katharon
12-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Agreed on all points with Mr. Mystery. I wouldn't take net-reported meta data too seriously.

SON OF ROMULOUS
12-10-2013, 12:19 PM
I for one am very very excited for this. I hate to have to listen to these people who complain about this or that being the end of the game. So far while i will admit i despise what they did to assault in this edition and barring all codocies besides my poor CSM
This edition brought the introduction of allies which i absolutely love yes they can be broken but they open up some serious modeling and conversion combinations.
Then they brought in fortifications which honestly give me a chance at using some terrain pieces or working on a space marine fortress :)

So for me go ahead meta shift away it just means i get a chance to actually use all of the models in my ever expanding collection. heck this might even drive the competitive players to extinction. We can go back to group and club events and if you show up at a tournament you might actually have some fun for once.