PDA

View Full Version : Mathhammer: Sound Math?

Turner
12-08-2013, 02:08 AM
So 900pts get you a super heavy with 9hp at 12/12/10 that can move up to 36" in the movement phase. When moving, charging or falling back, it can move over all other models and all terrain freely. (However, it cannot end its move on top of other models and can only end its move on top of impassable terrain if it is actually possible to place the model on top of it.)

Assuming it's night fight you can only target enemy models 36" away.

Dawn of War deployment gives you 12" forward, say you deploy in the dead center. The opponent castles in the corner.

We have the table, 48" by 72" so if the titan is deployed dead center, cut 72" in half we get 36" and deployed as far forward as possible gives us 48" - 12" for 36". (36^2 + 36^2)^(1/2) aka pythagoras theorem a^2 + b^2 = c^2 gives us (rounded up) 51" from where the Titan deployed to the dead corner of either point on the table. 51" - 36" (for it's 36" move) puts it 15" away from the corner, and the range of the Str D weapons? 60" Heavy 2 Large Blast, sporting two of those for a total of 4 large blasts. (one weapon targets unit A, drops two large blasts then targets unit B and drops two large blasts)

Even if night fight is on, there's literally no where on the table you can hide. Moves 36" and can pull any vector it wants. You stole the initiative! Because if you don't field a super heavy you get a +1 to your steal the initiative roll so a 5+ roll! Fire everything at that titan! It's only AV12/12/10 with 9HP!! But since it didn't move it will get a 3+ to ignore the hit... even other Str D hits. Straight from the Apoc Book:

"Destroyer Weapons: If a weapon has a D instead of a Strength value in its profile, it means it is a Destoryer weapon. To resolve a Destroyer weapon's attack, roll To Hit as you would for a standard attack. If the attack hits, roll on the table below instead of rolling To Wound or for armour penetration. No saving throws of any kind are allowed against damage from a Destroyer weapon, including special rolls such as Feel No Pain or Necron Reanimation Protocols." (I only bolded what was in the book)

"Eldar Titan Holo-Fields: Before making an armour penetration roll or rolling on the Destroyer Weapon Attack table for attacks against this model, the attacker must roll a D6 to see if the attack hit the target or a holo-field image. If this model moved in its last turn, it is hit on a roll of 4+. If not, then it is hit on a roll 3+. Only make armour penetration rolls or rolls on the Destroyer Weapon Attack table for attacks that hit the target."

Please tell me my math is incorrect.

Katharon
12-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Ok, so you're outdoing Captain Obvious. What exactly is your point here?

Also, side note: 3 x Void Shields for 100 points and a Shadowsword for 455 points. IG rocks!

Haighus
12-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Also, side note: 3 x Void Shields for 100 points and a Shadowsword for 455 points. IG rocks!

So a sort of mini-warhound. That is really cool :D

On topic: for less points, you could field 60 tactical marines. Combat squad them all, and that is 12 scoring units, and if they are all spread out, then the titan actually cannot kill every marine in 5 turns with shooting, because it can only choose 2 targets a turn. It could assault too, but then it risks melta bombs and the like, as well as then dropping it firmly in the range of counter attack, and with those guns and holo fields, it really wants to stay away from combat (and the titan costs 60 points more than the tactical marines, so you could have melta bombs in half those units and a trio of melta guns). I don't know, considering that the thing is most of your army in a 1500pt game, I don't think it is unbeatable.

Also, for 2/3 the points of the titan, you could take 4 Leman russes. Now, they don't kick out as much firepower with just battle cannons and heavy bolters, but they have 12HP between them, can hit most of the board, and have better armour values, as well as 4 pie plates that can each be fired at a different target (EDIT: not quite- just realised 2 of the russes have to be in the same squadron, so 3 targets maximum). As disadvantages they aren't assault monsters with stomp like the titan, and don't have SD or any defence against it, and lose power as tanks are destroyed, but they cost 2/3 what the titan costs. So it doesn't seem that impressive to me, but then I play guard, and remove my infantry in droves anyway.