PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy - lets do it!

Just_Me
12-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Recently several of the 40k threads have touched on the idea of starting a Dark Heresy game. I would be willing to organize/coordinate the game, though I refuse to act as Gamemaster (I have tried it in other games, and it has been an abysmal failure). So let's see what kind of interest there actually is, if you would be interested in playing let's hear it!

Melissia
12-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I could play or DM, though I'm only available for a game on tuesdays and saturdays-- I already have games running on sundays, mondays, wednesdays, and fridays, and I have other obligations on thursdays.

Kahoolin
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I'd love to play DH but I study during the day and work nights, so I couldn't really commit to a regular time, sorry. If you decide to play by (forum) post then I'm in, but that really slows the game down. Chatroom is faster and more like playing a traditional RPG.

Cryl
12-03-2009, 02:13 AM
I think time differences between the US and UK will kill my participation. I do think the book is on my list of things to buy though, especially after reading Melissias post about the psyker information that's in it.

EDIT: Damn it, you people have just cost me £70 on books I was quite happy without until I read these DH threads, in fact I blame Just Me for starting The Assignment thread :p I've ordered the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook, The Inquisitor's Handbook and Creatures Anathema, should be some good reading coming my way!

Melissia
12-03-2009, 07:07 AM
There's also the radical's handbook and disciplies of the dark gods.

Cryl
12-03-2009, 07:16 AM
There's also the radical's handbook and disciplies of the dark gods.

The Disciples book looked interesting but I needed to stop adding stuff to my shopping cart at that point! I think that's probably the next one I'll get assuming what I've ordered turns out to be good

Artein
12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
If it's not played by forum, but on a chat mostly, I'd like to try it.
I just need to lay my hands on this shiny DH book....
Oh, and I need a main rulebook and....? Any expansions? Which books do we need to play?

edit: oh, one more problem.... time difference. From what I can see we're from Europe, N.America and Australia....

Melissia
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Right, that could be a problem . We can robably do it on some time saturday to minimize this, but that's only if people have saturday free.

All that you actually NEED to play is the rulebook. The Inquisitor's Handbook is useful because it has a better and more in depth armory, though.

Ole
12-04-2009, 04:48 AM
As I'm desperatly trying to start up either a DH or RT group over here, I'd really like to participate here... still, time difference does seem to be a problem (ok, that might be cancelled out by using a forum-based approach, not a chat)

Melissia
12-04-2009, 07:55 AM
I've never had good experience with forum-based roleplays... they always die out eventually, without accomplishing half as much as meeting together personally or on chat...

Kahoolin
12-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Heh, I don't think I've ever participated in an RPG campaign, in real life or on the net, (and I'm talking over 20 years here) that has actually finished. Don't they always peter out in the end? :D

Just_Me
12-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Heh, I don't think I've ever participated in an RPG campaign, in real life or on the net, (and I'm talking over 20 years here) that has actually finished. Don't they always peter out in the end? :D

Not really, I have played several that actually ended, though I will admit that simple dying out is fairly common.

On another note, how do the folks here who ave already expressed interest feel about my posting an alert and link to this thread in the main 40k discussion forum? I realize that technically it may be a mildly inappropriate use of the forums, but I feel it is justified given the somewhat neglected nature of this forum.

Ole
12-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Can't hurt to get some more interest in this, I guess.

Melissia
12-05-2009, 07:39 AM
The most that I'd want in a game that I DM would be 4 players and myself, a smaller group is much easier to control and at the same time easier to give the spotlight on each individual player. We might have our characters part of a larger group, but the others are NPCs, and therefor expendable, unlike the player characters...

Cryl
12-05-2009, 02:16 PM
So I got the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook, The Inquisitor's Handbook and Creatures Anathema through the post today and from the reading I've had chance to do so far they're pretty good for the fluff. The DH game doesn't look too bad either although I'll admit it's the best part of 20 years since I played a RPG!

Thanks for recommending I get them, well worth the money.

Just_Me
12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
As a heads up for those of you still interested in getting a DH game up and running, I intend to start dedicated efforts to get it off the ground, starting the beginning of next week.

So far we seem to have roughly 5 interested persons on this thread, though time differences seem likely to cut that down considerably. Having had experience with trying to coordinate games across multiple time zones, I can say that it rarely works smoothly and is never easy. In light of this I am thinking of trying to generate enough interest to start several games each one in similar time zones, however, that will be determined by what level of interest there is.

Fortunately, Melissa has kindly enough volunteered to act as GM for a game. However, given the busyness of the schedule she gave us, I think that, for her own sanity, we should see about finding another person willing to run for us, just to give her the option (unless of course she has her heart set on running it).

Melissia
12-18-2009, 12:15 AM
If someone else is willing to do so, sure, they can. But I wouldn't mind running a game.

I'd use a Chatzy chat room (www.chatzy.com) to roleplay in for simplicity's sake. All you need is a browser.

Sangre
12-18-2009, 12:26 AM
No thanks. I think some things need to be done over the table.

Melissia
12-18-2009, 12:31 AM
In which case you're wrong :P

Most of the best sessions I've ever had were online, not over the table.

Just_Me
12-18-2009, 01:24 AM
If someone else is willing to do so, sure, they can. But I wouldn't mind running a game.

I mean no disrespect, if running a game is something you would enjoy doing then I would be very happy to have you do so. I am fully aware that you posses great depth of knowledge in both this game system in particular, and 40k lore in general, so I have every confidence in your abilities. It simply occurred to me that, from what you told us, you have a very busy RPG schedule, and might like the not want to accept the additional load of running a campaign if you don't have to.

No thanks. I think some things need to be done over the table.

In an ideal world, I would agree, but that is simply not possible in this case.

As inconvenient as you might imagine they are, chat rooms are perfectly serviceable venues for roleplaying. They even offer some unique advantages; they allow easy tracking of rolls and other variables (one need only scroll back up in the conversation), and private person-to-person chats are great for GM sidebars and communicating secret information (they work brilliantly for Paranoia for expressly that reason).

Forever_Bunny
01-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I know this post is old but have you started playing already? And is their still time for people to join?

I just saw this thread and would like to play as while.

Irdion
01-20-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm interested in this as well, if spots are still available. I'm in a GMT+1 timezone however, so I don't know whether or not it would be too inconvenient to work around. This might be the time I finally decide to run a Tech-Priest ;)

Melissia
01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Currently I don't know if people are still going for this.

I have Tue, Wed, and Sat open now, because my Wed game ended.

Because of the variation on time zones, Saturday is probably the best choice of days.

Forever_Bunny
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
I am free anytime and any day I just need to know in advance so I can schedule around it.

Percival
05-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I have been in a few campaigns on gitp for Dark Heresy and Ive seen a few psykers. Im kind of interested in playing as one just to get a little taste of one.So if anyone would like to GM that would be cool, preferably someone who knows a lot more dark heresy stuff than I do because I havnt played it very much. Other players would be cool too.

Necrosis
05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I would be interested in dark heresy.

Legoklods
06-08-2010, 07:37 AM
I have played it twice with some friends before but explain me this: How do you play RPG without actually meeting physicaly?

I've only played it around a table and we played with the core book but I'm very interested:cool:

AirHorse
06-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Ive always been tempted to buy the books, but never felt it justified since i dont really know anyone Id play with. But if there is a prospect of it happening online that might just tip me over the edge :)

Is it fairly straight forward to manage over the interwebz then? The thought had never occured to me until I noticed this thread :P