PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angel's Power Field Generator

Katharon
12-03-2013, 06:29 AM
OK, so here is a question I have concerning the DA Power Field Generator. Does it work on vehicles?

On page 64 of the DA Codex it states: "A model with a power field generator, and all models (friendly and enemy) within 3" of a model with a power field generator, have a 4+ invulnerable save.

DA FAQ states: "If the bearer is embarked upon a Transport vehicle, the powerfield’s effects only apply to models embarked upon that vehicle”.

To me, the FAQ implies that the PFG only works on infantry models -- since its not affecting the transport that a model with the PFG is riding on. My concern with this is that there is a guy at my gaming club who is intending to create a list centered around a DA Techmarine (allied detachment) with two Iron Hands Clan Raukaan (Primary detachment) Land Raiders and other tanks. He's planning to just push down a flank of the table in a big armored blob -- and according to him, the majority will have a 4+ invulnerable save due to the PFG and a 4+ IWND thanks to the Clan Raukaan addition.

Your thoughts?

Learn2Eel
12-03-2013, 06:44 AM
The power field generator has always worked on vehicles. The FAQ specifies that if you are inside a transport with it then it won't affect the transport and units around it. This was to stop the triple un-killable Deathwing Land Raiders with 4+ invulnerable saves lists that started popping up when the codex came out. Now, the carrier actually has to sit outside to benefit his own Land Raider, which effectively neutered the tactic. Mind you, it can still be a nasty spoiler list against an unprepared opponent even in a competitive setting.

As to what the person at your gaming group is doing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Kill the guy holding the power field generator who will be on a Bike outside the tanks. Remember, the power field generators only have a 6" radius. If he manages to get all of his stuff in that bubble, then you should be checking his measurements. If he still manages to, just bombard him with pie plates. If he's sinking that many points into the tactic and bunching up to get its full effect, he will start losing bodies really quickly if you focus fire stuff down with pie plates, and he can't really afford to lose models now can he....

Katharon
12-03-2013, 06:55 AM
It's just such an annoying thing. Thankfully it's only 3" and not 6" radius.

Katharon
12-03-2013, 09:13 AM
His list has two DA characters with the PFG. He plans to just walk them up from right behind the LRs. Basically cut off LoS to them. -_-

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
12-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Well, keep in mind that he's putting a fair few points into these characters which do little besides being Power Field Generator caddies.

Does your army of choice have access to Deep Striking/Outflanking units? Keep in mind that if you can lock these characters in close combat they won't be able to move along with the Raiders anymore.

mathhammer
12-03-2013, 01:41 PM
deep strike next to them and get your own +4 save.

After a few games they will move to bike riders.
- Higher toughness.
- Ability to keep up with a movement 12 raider.