PDA

View Full Version : Grav Centurions + Coteaz

GravesDisease
12-02-2013, 02:08 AM
I played 3 games with this combo on the weekend, it really was a wonderful unit. Whatever it was pointed at (MEQ, tanks, horde) died. "I've been Expecting you", was also incredibly useful in downing nasty gribblies that emerged from mycetic spores that scattered too close.

Despite working off the armour save, the unit was still incredibly effective against horde units with their frag missiles, rerolls to wound, and prescience/ignore cover (from divination). Of course the psychic powers were a bit of a toss up but i was aiming either for ignore cover, invul save, misfortune (so with mastery level two you have a probability of 1 getting at least something you want).

People might scoff at the combo saying it's too much of a points sink but i found its versatility, durability and mobility (compared to devastators or thunderfire) allowed to fill a niche nothing else in the codex could match. If nothing else they were very fun to play with, given the tactical decisions you are required to make.

Amaunator
12-02-2013, 12:58 PM
I used mine with a DA librarian, level 1 (prescience) and power field generator. This way they always have the invulnerable save (unless the librarian dies, but that's close enough to inv from divination, which could fail to be cast), fearless and rerolls to hit (if the spell goes through). With a level up you could go for ignore cover or misfortune as well, but 95p is enough here IMO.

Sure, you lose all the other cheese Coteaz brings to the table+have to take a DA troop (sniper scouts or maybe 5tac with a heavy weapon).

DarkLink
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Just don't cheat pod players on the Interceptor shot. Coteaz can only target models in his line of sight, so the Tyranid can hide behind the spore and you won't be able to hit him.

chicop76
12-02-2013, 02:53 PM
This makes me think broadsides and a Eldar Farseer.

rpricew
12-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Just don't cheat pod players on the Interceptor shot. Coteaz can only target models in his line of sight, so the Tyranid can hide behind the spore and you won't be able to hit him.

This works for the Devilfex, but not the 15-20 Devilgants!

GravesDisease
12-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Good point, i'll be sure to remember this. It heavily depends on the model people use for the spore though given that there is no official model.

This makes me think broadsides and a Eldar Farseer.

The difference being that the centurions are much shorter range but mobile. It feels less douchey to run it given their glaring weaknesses (short range, no invul).

chicop76
12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Good point, i'll be sure to remember this. It heavily depends on the model people use for the spore though given that there is no official model.

The difference being that the centurions are much shorter range but mobile. It feels less douchey to run it given their glaring weaknesses (short range, no invul).

I already figured out that in a flyer I can deep strike them where I need to. For extra points I can deep strike them within 6" of my flyer without deviation. That takes care of the short range problem.