PDA

View Full Version : What Country??

imperialsavant
12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
;)
G'day All! The Lounge seems to be a very cosmopolitan Forum & whilst many members have their place/country in their profile many more do not.
SO I thought it might be fun to do a Poll on where you are from. As polls are limited to 10 questions you will pardon me if I have to "lump" some countries together.:eek:

Dark_Templar
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Im from the U.S. of Oz, can't believe you put us with "those who are friendly with sheep".

biteymcrunrun
12-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Im a Kiwi. Cant believe you lumped us in with those under-arm bowlers... never to be forgotten...

Denzark
12-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Christ on a bike. Your knowledge of the Old Country, y'know, the Motherland that booted all its convicts to Kangarooville, is a bit dodgy.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland consists of 4 countries, Porridgeland (capital : Haggis city) Northern Potato (capital: Bushmills) Sheep shearers protectorate (capital: Twin Town) and the Jewel of the Crown, the centre of the Empire, the known Univers and all, England, Home to London.

Or if you fail to see satire, Scotland, Northern Ireland Wales and ENGLAND. Not BRITAIN Scotland Northern Irealnd and Wales but ENGLAND.

Denzark
12-02-2009, 01:27 AM
PS Britain is not part of Europe.

Sinistermind
12-02-2009, 01:47 AM
The UK is deffinitely part of Europe...

Sitnam
12-02-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm from the Republic of Texas...well, when we secede I will be.

BuFFo
12-02-2009, 02:57 AM
America here....

Cryl
12-02-2009, 03:18 AM

actually we're not...

back on topic, I'd expected to see more votes from the UK and for some reason, I thought there'd be less from Australia and New Zealand, good to see the game is just as popular down under. I think the proportion of US votes compared to UK is about right, it's at 3:1 ish when I post this.

Be interesting to see which way this goes, given there are 3.2k members we should hope for around 500 or so responses to get a decent reflection of population.

biteymcrunrun
12-02-2009, 04:08 AM
the only reason there seems like theres lots of australian and new zealand players is due to the time difference. i mean, theres quite a few here, but deffinately not 17-20% of the worlds players...

Denzark
12-02-2009, 05:41 AM

No actually, its really not. Saying this is like saying the USA is part of Mexico or Canada - in fact USA doesn't have any water splitting the two...

deadmanwade
12-02-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm from the UK but living and gaming in Japan now.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
12-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Australia "down Under" all the way.
Ahh New Zealand the only place in the world were the population is counted by humans but sheetp lol

Say Dark Templar which part of Australia you from? Im down in Melbourne.

Aldramelech
12-02-2009, 07:18 AM

Bloody cheek!:mad:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland is an Island the last time I checked.

And as my friend quite rightly pointed out, If your from England you are English. The British are people who charge about in chariots getting up the Roman's nose and were essentially Celts. I am an Anglo-Saxon and do not paint myself blue, scream "Freeeeedooooom" alot or eat amphibians leg's!

Cryl
12-02-2009, 07:28 AM
I am an Anglo-Saxon and do not paint myself blue, scream "Freeeeedooooom" alot or eat amphibians leg's!

I just got a really weird mental image of a Frenchman in a kilt doing bad things to a frog whilst brandishing a final fantasy scale sword... I need to play less video / war games I think

Artein
12-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Poland, currently under occupation by European Union (yes, it's a country now)

Wolfshade
12-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Wasn't there another post which ended up people arguing about this and how America isn't USA merely a part of it, and that America (or more correctly the Americas) are the collective arrangement of the two continents north america and south america.

On the whole UK not part of Europe, grouping contentally it is, similarly Oz & NZ are both part of Oceania or Austrilasia :cool:

Melissia
12-02-2009, 07:54 AM
A nitpicky note, "America" includes Canada, USA, Mexico, Columbia, Brazil, Chile, etc. The two continents are "America", the country is the United States of America >.> Identifying the country as "America" is the same thing as pointing at Belgium and saying "That's Europe".

NealSmith
12-02-2009, 07:57 AM
OK, I don't feel bad then complaing about "America" standing for "United States of America" then... With the rest of you guys complaining about the other labels... :)

BTW, keep me posted on the Texas secession... I might be moving...

I wouldn't mind going to Oz either... :)

Melissia
12-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Texas isn't gonna secede any more than Quebec is gonna stop being French wannabies that even France doesn't want.

NealSmith
12-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Texas isn't gonna secede any more than Quebec is gonna stop being French wannabies that even France doesn't want.

What?

Melissia
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm not explaining the joke, that would reduce its funny :P

deka
12-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I am from Serbia...

Dark_Templar
12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Im a Kiwi. Cant believe you lumped us in with those under-arm bowlers... never to be forgotten...

Hehehe, even I have to say that was some dirty tactics. Must have read it on BoLS.

Say Dark Templar which part of Australia you from? Im down in Melbourne.

Ex-Melb (South-Eastern Suburbs), now living in rural Vic.

Scoota
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm also from the great land of Australia, from Melbourne (don't listen to any Sydney-ites, Melbourne is the best city).

And to anybody on mainland Europe, let those living in the UK claim they're not part of the continent - I just wish the Tasmanians would do the same thing, with their two heads and all. I'd rather have the Noo Zulandas as part of our country. ;)

Denzark
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM

HA! Good girl, please allow me to paraphrase a hero, Admiral the Lord Horatio Nelson:

"An Englishman must hate the french as he hates the Devil!"

Notice they are coming in at 0% on the poll at the time of this post...

Dark_Templar
12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm also from the great land of Australia, from Melbourne (don't listen to any Sydney-ites, Melbourne is the best city).

And to anybody on mainland Europe, let those living in the UK claim they're not part of the continent - I just with the Tasmanians would do the same thing, with their two heads and all. I'd rather have the Noo Zulandas as part of our country. ;)

Have to agree with that one. I have always considered requesting the Aus Navy tow Tassie to Antarctica.

Kahoolin
12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
The UK is part of the EU isn't it? It might not be historically Europe, or geographically part of the continent of Europe (though that is arguable), but it's politically Europe. Isn't that what being in the EU means?

PS My grandmother is English, and once we were talking about the UK and she said "yes, well the English aren't really the English anymore are they?" I got the feeling you had to be English to know what she meant...

I'm also from the great land of Australia, from Melbourne (don't listen to any Sydney-ites, Melbourne is the best city).I'm from Canberra, the most hated city in Australia. Also one of the world's lesser known capital cities.

Lord Azaghul
12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
PS Britain is not part of Europe.

Ha I would have expected a brit to say that!

imperialsavant
12-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Bloody cheek!:mad:
snip***
And as my friend quite rightly pointed out, If your from England you are English. The British are people who charge about in chariots getting up the Roman's nose and were essentially Celts. I am an Anglo-Saxon and do not paint myself blue, scream "Freeeeedooooom" alot or eat amphibians leg's!

Now theres an idea for a great WH Fantasy Army! lol

P.S. Apologies to all the English. Pity the poor Colonials!! :p

imperialsavant
12-02-2009, 05:29 PM
OK, I don't feel bad then complaing about "America" standing for "United States of America" then... With the rest of you guys complaining about the other labels... :)

BTW, keep me posted on the Texas secession... I might be moving...

I wouldn't mind going to Oz either... :)

;) And you would be made very Welcome! Hey mate, throw another snag on the Barbie will ya? & crack a Fosters while ya at it! :rolleyes:

Chadmack
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Gosford, NSW, Australia.
Buy the way its steak on the barbie and a nice cold Tooheys or Bluetounge. The reason we export fosters is nobody down here will drink it.

imperialsavant
12-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Gosford, NSW, Australia.
Buy the way its steak on the barbie and a nice cold Tooheys or Bluetounge. The reason we export fosters is nobody down here will drink it.

:) Yeah I know but I thought the "Up Aboves" would only know Fosters & we are too poor down here on the South Coast to buy Steak! :D

Scoota
12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
:) Yeah I know but I thought the "Up Aboves" would only know Fosters & we are too poor down here on the South Coast to buy Steak! :D

Didn't Paul Hogan cry "Chuck another Shrimp on the barbie?" At any rate, we'll chuck anything you want on the barbie, and can provide any of the fine beer-based beverages on offer here.
The best part is, our beers are nothing like sex in a canoe. :D

Dark_Templar
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Didn't Paul Hogan cry "Chuck another Shrimp on the barbie?"

That's what I was thinking.

Brass Scorpion
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
As long as people are getting a bit technical in this thread I thought I'd point out that America is listed in the poll, but America is not a country, it's a pair of continents. North America comprises: United States of America. United Mexican States , Canada.

As for the UK and Europe, if I'm not mistaken geologically the UK is part of Europe because it's attached to the same continental shelf.

Melissia
12-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Go figure an Aussie would assume that a continent is a country :P Wonder if he's also thinking Africa is a country.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Melissia i thought Africa was an island too...:( damn should have paid more attention in school lol

Dark Templar, Sth Eastern suburbs how far south?? Im living in a really nice place called Frankston (its not bad, much improved) :P
Scoota maybe we should arrange a game sometime??

As for America, i guess the American's dont want to share there name then....tut tut lol
Oh and its to Paul Hogan's shame that he made us all look like drunken, lazy, womanizing ( that parts true) yobbo's in thongs and flanel..

Dark_Templar
12-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Melissia i thought Africa was an island too...:( damn should have paid more attention in school lol

Dark Templar, Sth Eastern suburbs how far south?? Im living in a really nice place called Frankston (its not bad, much improved) :P
Scoota maybe we should arrange a game sometime??

As for America, i guess the American's dont want to share there name then....tut tut lol
Oh and its to Paul Hogan's shame that he made us all look like drunken, lazy, womanizing ( that parts true) yobbo's in thongs and flanel..

I lived in Endeavour Hills, Frankston was our nearest half-safe beach.

They have done well to make-over Frankston compared to what it was when I was young).

In regards to Paul Hogan, he really just showed everybody what true Aussies are like. His marketing of the country was just ahead of its time (cough**wherethebloodyhellareyou**cough).

Scoota
12-03-2009, 05:24 AM

Well, when you live in Frankston, you get those sort of people. :D
Ok, maybe they live outside of Frankston too.

I'd be up for a game at some stage. I'm based more centrally, in Coburg, but have car, will travel.

And I think we should put it up for the Aussies and Noo Zulundas - for 16% of the gaming population, we're representing in this thread.

imperialsavant
12-03-2009, 05:34 AM
As long as people are getting a bit technical in this thread I thought I'd point out that America is listed in the poll, but America is not a country, it's a pair of continents. North America comprises: United States of America. United Mexican States , Canada.

As for the UK and Europe, if I'm not mistaken geologically the UK is part of Europe because it's attached to the same continental shelf.

:eek: I suppose I should have put USA in the Poll instead of America but hey we get all those songs about "America" not USA so you have to forgive us & blame Brooks & Dunn, Waylon Jennings etc! lol :D

Aldramelech
12-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Bollocks! Its the English shelf and we own it! :p

Denzark
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Bollocks! Its the English shelf and we own it! :p

Here Here!

Gold for Greed
Women for jealousy
Death for the French!

Gotthammer
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Didn't Paul Hogan cry "Chuck another Shrimp on the barbie?"

He said shrimp because if he used the (correct) "throw a prawn on the barbie" the United Statsians the ad was aimed at would have no idea what he was talking about (or less of an idea). See also the ad (for beer I think) with the lines "I play my football without a helmet, I sit in the front seat of a taxi, this is a prawn - not a shrimp". Ripped off a Canadian ad if I remember rightly.

Sydney Australia - Melbourne and Sydney will forever argue over who's better, but we can both agree that Queensland is full of wankers ;)

Brass Scorpion
12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
...not USA so you have to forgive us & blame Brooks & Dunn, Waylon Jennings etc!
That explains it. If you're going to listen to "American" popular music, may I recommend The Doors or Jimi Hendrix instead. ;)

Denzark
12-03-2009, 05:20 PM
That explains it. If you're going to listen to "American" popular music, may I recommend The Doors or Jimi Hendrix instead. ;)

I'll go with that sirrah, although I was told that white men can listen to Jimi but they can't hear him.

But still...
...................... (the suspense kills me...)
No french in the poll at the time of this post yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Aldramelech
12-04-2009, 04:26 AM
You must hate a Frenchman like the very Devil! - Lord Nelson.

mercer
12-04-2009, 05:35 AM
UK for me - England :)

Baron Spikey
12-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Yep UK (part of Europe) for me, going by the logic that we're not part of Europe you could also say that Japan isn't part of Asia ;)

Aldramelech
12-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Yep UK (part of Europe) for me, going by the logic that we're not part of Europe you could also say that Japan isn't part of Asia ;)

Too the Tower with you!

acuk
12-05-2009, 02:43 PM
UK here (England) and we generally don't like or trust Europe(daft money), apart from Denmark, if they did war games they would probably be the best war games in the world. Though if you haven't seen the Carlsberg ads that wont make alot of sense.

Talon57x
12-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I am from the west coast of the United States. (or, as far away as you can get from those crazy Britons that argue that the UK is not part of Europe ;) )

As for being referred to in the poll as America, US citizens refer to themselves as Americans, so America is correct.

Melissia
12-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Talon57x: All U.S. Citizens are Americans, but not all Americans are U.S. Citizens.

Aldramelech
12-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I am from the west coast of the United States. (or, as far away as you can get from those crazy Britons that argue that the UK is not part of Europe ;) )

As for being referred to in the poll as America, US citizens refer to themselves as Americans, so America is correct.

Again, enough of the Britons! Their Celts and largley died out, we're Anglo-Saxons:p

Melissia
12-06-2009, 12:28 PM
And that's why you fail. You have abandoned your awesome celtic background for the failsauce anglo-saxon one.

Gotthammer
12-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe he's decended from Anglo-Saxons? Genetic testing in England has shown between 40-60% of populations can be traced to Saxon rather than Celtic heritage (this is of course no exact science and the last 150 years have seen previously unthinkable levels of sudden population redistribution).
Celtic culture in England (as opposed to Scotland, Wales etc and the borders of such) has been pretty much exctinct for hundreds of years - some Celtic terms for England translate as "Land of Saxons". The final nail in the coffin was the Norman invasion in 1066 which killed off the eastern Celtic languages and induced the last great change to what would become the english language. The only Celtic culture to survive in England is the Cornish one and the language revival there is relatively recent. Wales, Scotland and Ireland maintained measures of independance for far longer, ensuring their culture survived, but they have all had a heavy influence from Norman expansionism.

bryce963
12-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I put America. Though if asked by someone in another country I would say that I am a Texan.
I mean, someone from Wisconsin is an American, and I have always got the feeling that people from other nations, especially if they have not been to the US, tend to think of us as huge monoculture, we are all American. Much the same way be think of all other nations, it is natural for all people without experience of different countries to think that way.

Really it all comes down to the fact that I, as well as most people I know would be quite offended if someone called us a Yank. I would politely explain that I am from the great state of Texas, and therefore am not a damn yankee(this is actually a compound word when said, and is traditionally the default term for a yankee).

I know that I would be polite about it, however I know a fair number of people, especially after a few pints(thank you for that Brits, it's the perfect amount of beer), who would want to assert the fact that they are not yankees with force. Even an easy going person such as myself would probably jump in on that sort of altercation if it looked as though Texan(and perhaps by extension Southern in general) honor had to be defended.

On a related note, for those of you divide the US into north and south mentally if you are that familiar with it to know that is the biggest cultural divide, please cut a special section for Texas. We are not part of the Old South, nor are we part of the Southwest. We are between the two and mixed with the rest of the nation. California, Florida, Texas, and New York, I would assert are the melting pots of the nation, though all with large doses of South American flavor.

Here in Texas you can do anything except snow ski, if anyone is planning on visiting the US, after you have hit Manhattan and DC. I suggest you head to Austin Texas, the center of government, culture, and flavors of the state.

Also, if you happen to have your army with you, pop into one of the wonderful games stores we have, Battle Forge Games, or Dragons Lair, and experience the best gaming in North America.
Also, at Battle Forge you can meet most of the great fellows who run BoLS, and play some of the best players in the nation.

Unless I happen to be in town, then you will have an easy victory.

Also this has sparked an idea. Gaming tourism. Haul an army around the country, and see where it really is the best. Chicago may claim it, but why would anyone trust a person from Chicago? Austin is where the gaming is at. Though I have heard Seattle is top notch as well, maybe someday I'll do that.

Herald of Nurgle
12-06-2009, 02:08 PM
English for the English People! Tea for the Tea Table!

Aldramelech
12-06-2009, 03:58 PM
And that's why you fail. You have abandoned your awesome Celtic background for the failsauce anglo-saxon one.

Whats so awesome about Celts? We kicked their blue painted bottoms into the sea and founded the greatest Empire the world has ever seen.

Recently in this country there has been a massive craze for getting loads of Celtic tattoos, which irritates the hell out of me. These people are about as Celtic as Genghis Khan!

Be aware of who you are and where you come from and be proud of it!

P.S. Poo to you with nobs on!:p;):D

Artein
12-06-2009, 04:55 PM
We kicked their blue painted bottoms into the sea and founded the greatest Empire the world has ever seen.
Roman Empire? :confused:

Kahoolin
12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Roman Empire? :confused:The British Empire was much larger and wealthier than the Roman. It just didn't last as long. I'm pretty sure the Mongols had a a larger empire than the Romans.

Denzark
12-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Ah yes the pizza boys ... who built Hadrians wall because they couldn't supress tribes north of Newcastle.

Whereas God's Own English forced the act of Union on them (after slappings various - Bannockburn as you were - hence the Anglo Saxon piece.

Talon57x
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Talon57x: All U.S. Citizens are Americans, but not all Americans are U.S. Citizens.

I did not say that all Americans are U.S. Citizens, I said that "US citizens refer to themselves as Americans".

I agree with bryce963. The United States is not made up of just people from one state. Internationally, the term "state" means a country with defined borders and an established government. The term is very appropriate for the United States. Each one may share some characteristics with it's neighbors, but we are all different. I am from Washington State (you know, on the west coast? by Oregon and Idaho?) , and we are very different here from Texans, or New Yorkers. When we are faced with adversity, Americans band together under the common title of Americans, but people from different American States are as different as people from the UK and Europe.

Denzark
12-06-2009, 05:50 PM
And that's why you fail. You have abandoned your awesome celtic background for the failsauce anglo-saxon one.

I would admit to a cultural back ground of almost anything - an incestuous cannibalistic pygmy tribe, a heart cutting aztec murder fiend, even a genocidal naazi mad man -

Rather

RATHER than admit or be in anyway linked to any sort of culture that would ever use the term 'FAILSAUCE'. Because to use it would be to qualify as it.

imperialsavant
12-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I put America. Though if asked by someone in another country I would say that I am a Texan.
SNIP*******
Really it all comes down to the fact that I, as well as most people I know would be quite offended if someone called us a Yank. I would politely explain that I am from the great state of Texas, and therefore am not a damn yankee(this is actually a compound word when said, and is traditionally the default term for a yankee).
SNIP*******
On a related note, for those of you divide the US into north and south mentally if you are that familiar with it to know that is the biggest cultural divide, please cut a special section for Texas. We are not part of the Old South, nor are we part of the Southwest. We are between the two and mixed with the rest of the nation. California, Florida, Texas, and New York, I would assert are the melting pots of the nation, though all with large doses of South American flavor.

;)Actually from what I have read of Texas history (& I have read a lot!) I think Texans have a lot of common ancestery with Australians. E.G. Scots, Irish, English, German & Scandinavian.There are of course a large ingredient of Spanish/Mexican which we do not share.
On a side issue one of our friends here in Moruya has a certificate from a lady Governer of Texas making him an honary Texan. His name is "Texas" Dave McGarrah & he owns a Music shop here & has brought out to Australia Tom Russell, Butch Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Towns VanZant, Lucinda Williams etc & all have played at a Pub or Hall in Moruya as well as other venues in Australia.:)

freddieyu
12-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey there are warhammer 40k players on the other side of the world...such as here in the Philippines too...

bryce963
12-07-2009, 02:31 AM
@Savant
Yes, we have a very proud tradition of Europeans contributing to the Texas culture, especially Germans, and Czechs. There is a town between Austin and my hometown that claims to be the Scandinavian (or Norwegian, can't remember) capital of Texas. I don't know of a big Australian, or Scots-Irish heritage, but I might be from the wrong part of the state.

Great German food all over, Wurst Fest in New Braunfuls( I really missed it this year 10 days of sausage and beer), West(a whole town that to people passing through is nothing but Czech bakeries), and last but not least the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner. They make the official beer of Texas, Shiner Bock(it's a better representative than Lone Star), if anyone out of the country(I also mean outside of Texas) gets the chance to try it have a few, of Shiner or Lone Star.

There are also many great smaller breweries in Texas, Real Ale, Live Oak, Rahr, and several others.

Now I want a Shiner, a sausage kabob, and some potato pancakes, sadly I am in way north west of Texas, a town called Lubbock. Instead of in the heart of Texas(in my opinion), the Dallas-Fort Worth to Austin to Houston triangle.

Another great thing about Texas, as this is all a great distraction from law school exams, is that being such a big state there is so much variation.

You go from the east, like Nacogdoches, where they have have forests of evergreens and stuff. To the far west, to El Paso, basically the best city in Mexico and in the desert almost. To the north, with Lubbock where I am at now for law school, they have snow here, and it is nothing but dust and tornadoes in the spring. To the far south of Brownsville and the Valley, citrus fruit and semi tropical weather. Or go along the Gulf Coast with Houston, a metropolis built over swamp land and fueled with oil profits, to South Padre Island, basically a beach resort. To the central cities, in the north Dallas-Fort Worth, always grouped but very different, Fort Worth is basically a huge small town, and Dallas is the Space Marine style second heart of commerce in the state. To the center of Texas, to the Capital, Austin, in my opinion the best place to be in whole state, rolling hills, eclectic culture, the seat of government,wonderful food, the best gaming and the best "American" college football team in the state(Hook 'Em!).

P.S. Almost forgot San Antonio, the spiritual heart of the state, where the Alamo is.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alamo) I just hate driving there so I tend to not think about it.

Texas has something for everyone. Now, to get back to studying so I can pass my exams and get back to the real Texas in 3 years.

Also, I have only listed the places I have been, there is so much diversity in Texas I don't even have any grasp on it at all

Sorry to be such a tour guide, but I miss Texas and was raised with the tourism industry.

Aldramelech
12-07-2009, 03:22 AM

Your having a laugh arnt you? Alexanders Empire was bigger then Rome, The Persian Empire was bigger then Rome and The British Empire was bigger then all of them.:rolleyes:

miteyheroes
12-07-2009, 04:12 AM
Right.

The British Isles = the two big islands & various small ones just north-west of mainland Europe, on the European continental shelf. Part of Europe, and during Ice Ages it's possible to walk between the two.

The British Isles were invaded by the Romans. Who turned the southern bit of the biggest island into a roman province- Britannia (modern-day England and Wales). After the Romans, Germanic people invaded. Angles, Saxons, Jutes, and so on. Arthur was a Romano-British warlord fighting against the Germans (if he existed at all). Over a couple of centuries, they came to dominate the south-east bit and became called Englisc. Eventually it got named England, Englisc-land. The other bits were Wales, Cornwall, Ireland and Scotland. Then Cornwall got conquered. Some British people fled to France (hence Brittany).

Then the Vikings invaded, conquering the north of England, and bits of Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man. Eventually they took over the kingship of the whole of England (under Cnut).

The Englisc had a brief period of self-rule post-Cnut, but this was finished by the Normans- Vikings who'd become Frenchified and learnt cavalry tactics. For the next couple of centuries, England was ruled by French-speaking Norman knights whilst the peasants spoke English. Eventually the two languages merged, which is why the words for live animals (Cow, Hog, Sow, Deer) are Germanic and the words for dead animals (Beef, Pork, Venison) are French/Latin- poor English people raise the animals, rich Norman people ate them.

England then conquered Wales, and in the mid-16th century merged the two countries to make the Kingdom of England and Wales. Then the Scottish Stuart kings started ruling England, and in the early 18th century the two kingdoms were merged to make Great Britain (England, Wales, Scotland). Then in the early 19th century Ireland was merged with Great Britain to make the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Then, finally, in the early-20th century part of Ireland got independence, leaving us today with two units in the British Isles: Eire (the larger southern part of Ireland) and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Of course, these days there is increasing self-governance of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. But that's a separate matter, and the UK isn't quite broken up yet.

So saying "UK (Britain, Wales, Scotland, Ireland)" is wrong for 2 main reasons:
-You meant England not Britain
-You meant Northern Ireland not Ireland

Anyway. The Normans are clearly better than Anglo-Saxons. :P

Cryl
12-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Yes it's called history. I'm not sure what most of the posts in this thread have to do with where people are living. What the place you're living in means in history rarely has any baring on what it means today... I should know, I'm a Brit and we're the most guilty for clinging to the glory days of the Empire and the colonies. Threads like this always degenerate like this and usually end with a history major telling us all what we don't want to believe which is that everyone is from somewhere else and the place matters a lot less than the people.

Denzark
12-07-2009, 07:33 AM
. Threads like this always degenerate like this and usually end with a history major telling us all what we don't want to believe which is that everyone is from somewhere else and the place matters a lot less than the people.

It is not degenerate to point out that BRITAIN is not the remaining country out of 4 including Ireland Scotland and Wales.

Maybe it is philanthropic to want to improve people's geography so they don't make similar mistakes again, after all wider knowledge of our world community is a good thing, right...?

Or actually maybe it is simple pride in one's birthplace that you don't want people to make a basic error abut it.

Either way is not degenerate, you could stop posting in a thread about it if you feel some negative vibes, and could start to emigrate if you are not sufficiently proud of where you live.

Cryl
12-07-2009, 09:00 AM
It is not degenerate to point out that BRITAIN is not the remaining country out of 4 including Ireland Scotland and Wales.

Maybe it is philanthropic to want to improve people's geography so they don't make similar mistakes again, after all wider knowledge of our world community is a good thing, right...?

Or actually maybe it is simple pride in one's birthplace that you don't want people to make a basic error abut it.

Either way is not degenerate, you could stop posting in a thread about it if you feel some negative vibes, and could start to emigrate if you are not sufficiently proud of where you live.

I never said that it was degenerate to point out that Britain is not the remaining country from the 4 that make up the UK, that's simple geography and a perfectly understandable mistake from the OP. I couldn't name all the states in the US without looking at a map nor could most Brits so there's no reason to expect anyone from outside the UK to be able to do so for the constituent nations.

What I did say was that the thread had degenerated and in my opinion it has, as do most threads of this nature. The point of the thread was to find out where people were, not who has the most national pride or which nation once had the greatest empire. You, sir, have posted your opinion here which is exactly what I did. You're entitled to disagree with the statement "that the place matters a lot less than the people" but that is and will continue to be my opinion.

Melissia
12-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Whats so awesome about Celts?
Nothing, really, I was just being ornery.

Yes it's called history. I'm not sure what most of the posts in this thread have to do with where people are living.
Wait, we're supposed to be on topic? This is much more interesting than the original topic anyway.

Denzark
12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Nothing, really, I was just being ornery.

haha when I'm horny I never talk about men in skirts...

Melissia
12-07-2009, 11:38 AM
*facepalm* Fail, Denzark, fail. (http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aornery)

sketchesofpayne
12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I was looking for the 'United States' or 'USA' option for a sec. Then I saw 'America' and thought "Ah, the poster isn't from the U.S. obviously. We're well aware that we're not the only Americans, because that encompasses two continents. We only call ourselves Americans because otherwise we'd be United-Statesians, and that's just hard to say.

If you ever hear us cheering at the Olympics, we don't cheer "America!" it's "U-S-A! U-S-A!" :D

gorepants
12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
*facepalm* Fail, Melisia, fail. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism) :p

Lerra
12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I've heard people use USers before, but that's only slightly less verbally awkward.

In Spanish, it's "Estadounidenses." Try saying that three times fast.

The Canucks tend to call us Yankees, but that only annoys the Southerners who don't want anything to do with Yankees! I think the US is the only country where its citizens can't figure out what to call themselves. Although, within the US, people often identify by state anywho.

Old_Paladin
12-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm from the 'Land of Chill' itself, Canada... eh.

Melissia
12-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Gorepants: That would have worked if it were actually funny instead of moronic.

Yay a Canadian! Dunno, I always seemed to like Canadians....

Scoota
12-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I've heard people use USers before, but that's only slightly less verbally awkward.

In Spanish, it's "Estadounidenses." Try saying that three times fast.

The Canucks tend to call us Yankees, but that only annoys the Southerners who don't want anything to do with Yankees! I think the US is the only country where its citizens can't figure out what to call themselves. Although, within the US, people often identify by state anywho.

In Australia we call you Seppos, but that's just a bit of rhyming slang you probably don't want to know the exact meaning of.

imperialsavant
12-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Yay a Canadian! Dunno, I always seemed to like Canadians....

:p Now, Now, Melissa! No flirting with the Canadians or the Cannoness will send you to the Repentas! ;)

imperialsavant
12-07-2009, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=bryce963;39787]@Savant
Yes, we have a very proud tradition of Europeans contributing to the Texas culture, especially Germans, and Czechs. There is a town between Austin and my hometown that claims to be the Scandinavian (or Norwegian, can't remember) capital of Texas. I don't know of a big Australian, or Scots-Irish heritage, but I might be from the wrong part of the state.
SNIP*******last but not least the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner. They make the official beer of Texas, Shiner Bock(it's a better representative than Lone Star), if anyone out of the country(I also mean outside of Texas) gets the chance to try it have a few, of Shiner or Lone Star.

"Yep I have downed quite a few Lone Stars but havent found Shiner Bock down here! But I do get the Collins Street Bakery Cakes."
SNIP*******
Now I want a Shiner, a sausage kabob, and some potato pancakes, sadly I am in way north west of Texas, a town called Lubbock. Instead of in the heart of Texas(in my opinion), the Dallas-Fort Worth to Austin to Houston triangle.
SNIP******

"Haaa! Lubbock home of Buddy Holly & other great Texas musos!"
Snip******
P.S. Almost forgot San Antonio, the spiritual heart of the state, where the Alamo is.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alamo)

Dark_Templar
12-07-2009, 11:04 PM
In Australia we call you Seppos, but that's just a bit of rhyming slang you probably don't want to know the exact meaning of.

Probably best not to elaborate on the Seppos thing. :eek:

DarkLink
12-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Generally, we of the USA refer to ourselves as Americans generically (when we're not identifying by our states), people from Mexico as Mexicans, and people from Canada as Canadians. Just because we have America in our name. The fact that it is also the name of our continent is partially a coincidence.

Emperorsmercy
12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Come on England!

Although, it is intereresting to see that there are more people from the US on the poll than english, even though the hobby is from England. Hmmm.

chromedog
12-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Another Aussie here.
Former Sydneysider, now living in our coal-mining and job-free heartland of Newcastle (but I have also lived in melbourne).
Also home to a pretty crap rugby league team and a so-so football team.

The surf's good though (when we don't have container ships parked on the beach).

Baron Spikey
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Come on England!

Although, it is intereresting to see that there are more people from the US on the poll than english, even though the hobby is from England. Hmmm.

The hobby might be from England but BOLS is an American site and the US kinda has 5-6 times our numbers so it's easy for them to outnumber us poor Brits on sites like this ;)

entendre_entendre
12-09-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm from the Great White North of Canada eh.

Well, all done here eh. Time to put on a flannel shirt and snowshoe down to the liquor store and buy a two-four of stubbies with my brother Bob eh. After that we'll have some poutine and sit on our igloo and watch the dog sleds go by eh. Then we'll have some fun with the Mounties by throwing a beaver at them and telling them to "take off hosers!" eh. Tomorrow, we'll go down to the border and show the cold-looking Americans around like friendly neighbors eh. I'll meet my friend Doug the lumberjack for lunch and then wear our golden tuques while we go Moose hunting with Rick the Newfie eh. Then just a quick ski up to St. Johns for some back bacon and a new fur hat, and back home for supper eh. That'll be fun eh. Well that went on longer than expected eh. Continue with on with your lives eh. We'll see you in two months for the Olympics eh.

Eh.

Melissia
12-09-2009, 07:38 AM
:p Now, Now, Melissa! No flirting with the Canadians or the Cannoness will send you to the Repentas! ;)

Not flirting, my best friend is from Canada, and most of the others I've met are pretty awesome, too.

Old_Paladin
12-09-2009, 07:50 AM
After that we'll have some poutine... Eh.

I hope you're happy, now I want poutine...
And there's a bit of a snowstorm where I live right now, so I won't be able to get any :mad:

Melissia
12-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Damnit, I looked it up on wikipedia.... and now I want some Poutine too. Apparently the Quebec actually introduced something interesting for once instead of failing...

Aldramelech
12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Cheesey Chips with gravy? You people are sick!

Old_Paladin
12-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Cheesey Chips with gravy? You people are sick!

Says the man from the land of blood pudding and kidney pies! ;)

Melissia
12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
You call them chips, so you don't count.

Aldramelech
12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
You lot call them Freedom fries which makes you morons! lol:p

I wont hear a word said against black pud, its the food of the Gods!:D

Melissia
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
You lot call them Freedom fries which makes you morons! lol:pNobody here called them that. That was a moronic Bush-ism to us, and this is Bush's home state.

Usually we just say "fries" or "curly fries" depending on the variation. There are other variations, too, but they're more obscure, like wedges, and not really proper fries.

Old_Paladin
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
You lot call them Freedom fries which makes you morons! lol:p

You know I'm Canadian though, right? We've always called them french fries here... well actually, we just call them fries (it's not like people get confussed if you call them that... except maybe the British and the Scots, where fries probably just refers to your huge greasy breakfasts).

Also, I'm not sure that Americans even call them that anymore. Now that Bush is gone, I don't think you get arrested and charged with treason anymore when you call them french fries.

That pudding might be the food of the gods, but only if you worship Khorne (hehe, get it...)

Gotthammer
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
That pudding might be the food of the gods, but only if you worship Khorne (hehe, get it...)

Or practice Eckythump (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxGi8bizEg) ;)

Aldramelech
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Nobody here called them that. That was a moronic Bush-ism to us, and this is Bush's home state.

Usually we just say "fries" or "curly fries" depending on the variation. There are other variations, too, but they're more obscure, like wedges, and not really proper fries.

Americans:rolleyes: The Curly Fry and Wedges are not exclusive to the North American Continent you know.

OOO that'll make you a Southan Gal then, Just like Britney Spears! lol Yall come back now ye hear.......

You know I'm Canadian though, right?

That one was for Lady M;)

Or practice Eckythump (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxGi8bizEg) ;)

Classic!:)

Melissia
12-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Americans:rolleyes: The Curly Fry and Wedges are not exclusive to the North American Continent you know.

OOO that'll make you a Southan Gal then, Just like Britney Spears! lol Yall come back now ye hear.......Thank you for completely missing the point and then being a stereotyping ******* afterwards. :rolleyes:

So tell me, where did I say that curly fries or wedges are unique to the U.S. or the American continents, or to North American in specific? Oh wait, I didn't do any of these. Huh. So who were YOU responding to?

Aldramelech
12-09-2009, 03:51 PM

This sounds to me like Instruction in the way of the Fry. There aint nowt obscure about wedges..........

But I would have thought grits would have been more your style.

I do love it when you get all indignant:p

Scoota
12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Haha. I love it how this post has gone from the patriotic pride of "What country are you from?" to the patriotic aggression of "How much dung can we fling at each other's country?". :)

And fries? Isn't that what you do to the potato to get the tasty resultant food? We call 'em chips... well, I suppose that's kinda the same thing... since they're a 'chip' off the potato.

I so love the English language's hodge-podge nature.

English: having 73 words for the same thing since 1066.

Melissia
12-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Aldramelech: No, it was quite obviously just intended to be a statement of what they are called locally.

Also, stop talking about a culture you don't understand. It's like those annoying people who think Taco Bell is actually authentic Mexican food...

Old_Paladin
12-09-2009, 04:50 PM
[I]But I would have thought grits would have been more your style.

Grits are more my style; although I just tend to just vote for them...

Aldramelech
12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Aldramelech: No, it was quite obviously just intended to be a statement of what they are called locally.

Also, stop talking about a culture you don't understand. It's like those annoying people who think Taco Bell is actually authentic Mexican food...

My Mother was born in Albuquerque NM and my Grandfather was from Texas:rolleyes:

OP: Lol

Col.Gravis
12-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Who would of thought a potato based side could cause such a ruckus? :rolleyes:

Aldramelech
12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
If it carry's on Im calling Gary Lineker!:eek:

Dark_Templar
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I would have expected people to know arguing with Melissia is futile...

Scoota
12-10-2009, 04:28 PM
... and if they choose to do so they need to have a hearty constitution.

And thick skin. :)

Denzark
12-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Ha I've seen strains in laboratories with more advanced culture. As for SPIKEY fella who claims to be a Brit one shouldn't use terms such as 'kinda', old horse, try not to murder the mother tongue there's a good chap.

Pip Pip skiddoo.

Melissia
12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Denzark: Quiet, troll.

Aldramelech: Why are you still trying to press this? No, you don't know it any better than one could know it from some lame Hollywood movie (Hollywood has a very poor grasp on what Texas actually is, just like you).

I've lived here my entire life, visited a good portion of the state, born and raised here, schooled here, went to college in here, got my degree here. I've worked and learned alongside real cowboys, rhinestone cowboys, city folk, hispanic immigrants (and learned a bit of Spanish from them), Texans with hispanic heritage, hicks from the sticks ("the sticks" refers to rural regions), black gangsters, and plenty of other people. I remember the last time we had snow, and how that was a huge deal here (And I mean snow, not sleet). And other minor things, like how freezing rain, snow, and sleet are major incidents here (The ground is warmer, and therefor it melts and refreezes into black ice). I've been to the state fair several times, been both surprised, amused, and horrified by what the Texan people will attempt to fry (the deep fat fried twinkies being only just the beginning of this trend). I've worked with people in the pipelines business, helped out at a rodeo, ridden my family's own horses and have an awesome western duster for it too, which is classified by immigrants as a trenchcoat because they cannot understand the distinction. I've been in four of the major cities. I've watched plays and films made by Texans, listened to music made by Texans-- and no, I do not mean country music. From death metal to gangsta rap to rock and roll to full blown orchestrated music, all of it is produced here and has its own audience here by a wide variety of artists, bands, and groups, whom all operate out of this state.

So seriously, drop it. I'm not the foremost expert on Texan culture (the state of Texas is bigger than your entire country by around 500,000 square kilometers, making it mor than three times Britain's size), but I do at least know it better than you.

Aldramelech
12-10-2009, 11:55 PM
And I bet you know all the words to Rawhide and Convoy too.........

Dark_Templar
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
And I bet you know all the words to Rawhide and Convoy too.........

Quick get an Astropath on the line, we need the Inquisition, ASAP!

Scoota
12-11-2009, 12:40 AM
As for SPIKEY fella who claims to be a Brit one shouldn't use terms such as 'kinda', old horse, try not to murder the mother tongue there's a good chap.

Pip Pip skiddoo.

Spikey? Me? (I couldn't find anybody else who used the word 'kinda', so I assume you're talking about me.) Hehe, no, I'm not English, I'm an Aussie, and we've *******ised the English language in our own unique way.

Maybe we should stop ragging on the Texans. I mean, my main experience with a Texan was sitting next to one on the Greyhound who told me "Australia is my second favourite country in the world. I mean, you've got these cute little Wallabies, and you've come a long way from such a little island."
I told him that Australia was almost as big as the States, and he didn't believe me. I then told him that it was much bigger than Texas. His response:
"Nothing's bigger than Texas!"

Still, I am not going to base my opinions of every member of that state on that one individual. Just that one.

Dark_Templar
12-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Hey Scoot, is it possible you were sitting next to George Dubya himself? :eek:

Melissia
12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Lol. Texas is about one tenth the size of Austrailia.

Sangre
12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Dear Lord. Makes you proud to be British.

Melissia
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Why would you be proud to be british?

/badumkshh/

But seriously, try not to knock other peoples' countries. We're all nerds in the end (because we're into this hobby).

Col.Gravis
12-11-2009, 11:59 AM
And I bet you know all the words to Rawhide

I think I could manage that :eek:

But then I did spend a week there earlier in the year, filled with much hillarity, texan accents, 109 'the Wolf', meeting the BoLS guys and even a few 'normal' people along the way - far more 'normal' people infact then you tend to find in any British street! :rolleyes: Damn Chav's!

Baron Spikey
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I think Denzark was referring to me and my use of 'kinda'. Considering its such a small deviation from approved English spelling, whereas your belief that the UK isn't part of Europe is a much grander oversight I think I'll carry on 'talking' how I wish as long as I don't slip into an internet style of writing.

Col.Gravis
12-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Damn it, damn it, damn it, we're not part of Europe, we're not, we're not, this is the continent of the United Kingdom with Tea Drinking Brits, Guiness Drinking Irish, Whisky Drinking Scots and whatever it is the Welsh Drink (liquid mud?). We will not surrender our Imperial Might, the Empire on which the sun never used to set to the Country of Europe! France, Germany they've always been trying to conqueror us, surrender now to the EU and they'll succead!! For Queen Elizabeth, England and St.George!!!

Ahem - please note I am trying to be as absurd as possible here, if anyone takes me seriously, well just don't! :p

Aldramelech
12-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I think I could manage that :eek:

But then I did spend a week there earlier in the year, filled with much hillarity, texan accents, 109 'the Wolf', meeting the BoLS guys and even a few 'normal' people along the way - far more 'normal' people infact then you tend to find in any British street! :rolleyes: Damn Chav's!

Is you like calling me a chav? Harsh, anyway you cant say that to me cause thats like against my human rights and anyway Ive got self esteem issues and **** and anyway I'm so reporting you Big Red and he's gonna ban you forever and ****... word ;)

Aldramelech
12-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I think Denzark was referring to me and my use of 'kinda'. Considering its such a small deviation from approved English spellnig, whereas your belief that the UK isn't part of Europe is a much grander oversight I think I'll carry on 'talking' how I wish as long as I don't slip into an internet style of writing.

Me and my Oppo Denzark have a very special spot for you in the Tower......

Duke
12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
..."Nothing's bigger than Texas!"....

Im sorry, that just keeps me laughing. The funny part is that the person probably thought that nothing is bigger than Texas. I think most Americans think that Everything outside the States is small, and texans think everything outside Texas is tiny.

Duke

Denzark
12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Me and my Oppo Denzark have a very special spot for you in the Tower......

Now now mucker just remember - I might not agree with what he says but will defend to the death his right to say it...

(until the coup after which there will be bullet riddled walls all around the country for his ilk...)

Denzark
12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Denzark: Quiet, troll.

So seriously, drop it. I'm not the foremost expert on Texan culture (the state of Texas is bigger than your entire country by around 500,000 square kilometers, making it mor than three times Britain's size), but I do at least know it better than you.

Wow and there was me thinking the good ole CSA was reknowned for well mannered people.

My image of you has changed - I thought of you as some kind of cosplay sister hottie. But now the truth is revealed:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/thumb/0/01/Cletus_&_Brandine.JPG/280px-Cletus_&_Brandine.JPG

And remember, size isn't everything miss cosmopolitan.

Melissia
12-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Denzark: Again, you troll, and nothing more. Were I were to claim to know England better than the English, I would expect to be laughed at and rightfully so, but apparently if an Englishman claims to know a country better than one of that country's natives, it's perfectly okay? Yeah, go screw yourself.

Duke: I've never heard anyone from Texas honestly say that phrase. If they say it, it's always in jest, like guys using "everything's bigger in Texas" as a pickup line *lol*

Denzark
12-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Denzark: Again, you troll, and nothing more.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn (about your worthless opinion). And any day of the week on God's green earth I'd rather wake up a troll than an attention whore with the whole SISTERS ARE DOING IT FOR THEMSELVES cack which you try to hijack every thread with (this might be the exception that proves the rule lol).

And for the record I can't clock anywhere Mr A trying to claim to be the big expert on this ammazing state you've visited a whole 4 major cities of....

Scoota
12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Duke: I've never heard anyone from Texas honestly say that phrase. If they say it, it's always in jest, like guys using "everything's bigger in Texas" as a pickup line *lol*

Yeah, seriously, this guy said that. Up until that point I also thought that was just a Texan cliche.
I'm sure that he was just trying to be nice to a random Aussie he started chatting to on the Greyhound (and seriously, who DOESN'T want to talk to an Aussie?), but being told "Australia is my second favourite country, but I've never been there", followed up with a conversation about how he thought 'Sex and Candy' was the greatest song ever and the artist would go on to have an amazing career (sorry, who sang that song again and where is he now?) kinda made me reach the end of my tether.

Dallas was a nice place to visit though. Would've liked to spend more than 1 afternoon there... at least I got the chance to see that Lee Harvey Oswald could NOT have killed JFK - it was definitely the pair of well-dressed lookers on the grassy knoll. (Gratuitous Zoolander reference.)

Baron Spikey - good to see that I'm not the only person *******ising the English language. :)

Old_Paladin
12-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn...

Be careful Denzark, or Mel will beat your arse 'Texas Style' (they have their own style of beating people!)

imperialsavant
12-11-2009, 11:46 PM
SNIP*****
helped out at a rodeo, ridden my family's own horses and have an awesome western duster for it too, which is classified by immigrants as a trenchcoat because they cannot understand the distinction.

:p Ahh but have you tried a "Dri-za- bone" coat yet??
From reading Western Horseman Magazine seems like they are getting very popular over there.
By the way I had horses for about 12 years including a beautiful Appaloosa Mare who was Golden Palamino colour with white snowflakes & a white blaze & sox. Had to give her away in the big drought a couple of years back but still visit. :(

Scoota
12-12-2009, 01:13 AM
:p Ahh but have you tried a "Dri-za- bone" coat yet??
:(

Ah, if you're chucking on a Dri-za-bone, you need to have an Akubra too. Can't have one without the other. Just wouldn't be right.

Aldramelech
12-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Denzark: Again, you troll, and nothing more. Were I were to claim to know England better than the English, I would expect to be laughed at and rightfully so, but apparently if an Englishman claims to know a country better than one of that country's natives, it's perfectly okay? Yeah, go screw yourself.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn (about your worthless opinion). And any day of the week on God's green earth I'd rather wake up a troll than an attention whore with the whole SISTERS ARE DOING IT FOR THEMSELVES cack which you try to hijack every thread with (this might be the exception that proves the rule lol).

And for the record I can't clock anywhere Mr A trying to claim to be the big expert on this ammazing state you've visited a whole 4 major cities of....

As Denzark has quite rightly pointed out, at no point did I claim to know Texas as well as a local, You on the other hand did try and tell me I knew absolutely nothing at all about it and I merely pointed out that I do have some understanding of it as my Grampy was a Texan and my Mother was born in the South.
You are the one who then had a complete sense of humor failure and went off on one about hanging out with all sorts of people and doing this, that and the other.

At the start of the Second World War my Grampy (Delbert Luster, known to his friends as "Tiny") was already in the US Navy. He was a Seabee which for the uneducated is a Construction Engineer. He was posted to England to build US bases here for the invasion of Europe. He was from a fairly large family and was one of four brothers (who are still alive) Dennis, Dewey and Yogi (yes they are their real names! lol)
He was ordered to build a camp in a little village called Topsham, just outside the City of Exeter, a camp that still stands today and was until the mid 90s a stores depot for the Royal Navy. This is where he met my Grandmother, Bette. He was given permission to marry her (quite unusual) and when posted back to the states she was allowed to go with him (very unusual). In early 1945 he was sent to a place to build lots of buildings in the middle of nowhere, this place was called Los Alamos. My Grandmother wasn't allowed to live on base due to the nature of the work there and was billeted in Albuquerque where my Mother and my Aunt were born (Linda and Roberta). My Grampy was very busy there, every time he built something, Mr. Oppenheimer would blow it up! My Grampy and his mates used to stand 5k away and watch, this would be the eventual cause of his death many years later. Between 1948 and 1960 something (I'm not sure of the date) my Family traveled the world courtesy of the US navy including Germany, Morocco and for the English-Benidorm! (Yep, that started life as a US Naval Base) before being posted back to Pensacola where he retired. My Grandmother was extremely homesick by this point and after a few years persuaded my Grampy to move back to Topsham.

Grampy Luster was a bear of a man, but gentle and lived for his Grandchildren (6 of us) and I was never happier then listening to his story's about growing up in Texas and hearing news from our huge American family. Every birthday envelopes would arrive in the post containing strange money that I had to go to the bank and swap for real money! lol

Grampy Luster died when I was 9 years old. He had been Ill for many years but had done a good job of hiding it from us, it was very sudden, one day he was there, the next he was gone and I never got to say goodbye. The Man was my Hero, and I honestly think about him every day.

Melissia, does my experience compare to yours? No, I have my own unique experience, and I wouldn't swap it for all the money in the world.

Melissia
12-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm not an attention whore; I am a passionate fan. If you cannot tell the difference, Denzark, then go **** yourself.

Scoota: "Dallas was a nice place to visit though."

Yeah, to visit maybe, especially if you aren't the one having to drive... trying to drive there from anywhere else is hell though. Dallas drivers are the friggin' worst in the state. A day gone by without an accident of some sort surprises the newscasters, unlike Arlington or Fort Worth... or anywhere else, except maybe the Mexican border (Because across the border the traffic laws are different, and so they aren't necessarily bad drivers, just unused to the laws in the States).

Aldramelech: I misinterpreted your post then. Apologies.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
12-12-2009, 09:02 AM
No one is comparing they know more about Texas than anyone else, Melissia was just saying she knows alot about Texas thats all, and as for the comment she "only visited four of the major cities" are you implying "oh is that all", thats just sad, so what she hasnt, have you visited every citiy where you live, i bet not.
Me, personnaly as an Aussie and proud of it, i havent visited every city in Victoria yet, and trust me, comparing the size of Victoria (a state of Australia) to some of your US states, well compare Australia to the USA.
http://www.mapsofindia.com/worldmap/world-map.gif

And you get to see how big Australia is to the rest of the world, and i can tell you i haven't been to every capital city of Australia either, so does that make me stupid to the history of my country?? NO.
Australia is about the same size as North America, the same size roughly as most of Europe, just smaller than China and can fit the whole of UK in just one of our states.
Malissia was giving us her view, and last time i checked every one has that right, and Aldramelech you showed us your personal view too, thank you for that too.
But it doesnt make anyones view any less.
Oh and just for the record My state of Victoria is about the same size as Texas, maybe a little bigger, but does size really matter, i thought it was the size of people's ego's that mattered atm.
So can we stop taunting each other, or trolling each other over personal differences too, Im a SoB player to, want to lump me in with all the other SoB players who want to winge every post too, as hey i really dont mind.
We SoB players know the score, want to argue it over, then face me in a game then.

Denzark
12-12-2009, 01:28 PM
And you get to see how big Australia is to the rest of the world, and i can tell you i haven't been to every capital city of Australia either, so does that make me stupid to the history of my country?? NO.

Hey I'm always game to increase my world knowledge, so... Just how many capital cities does Australia have? I thought it was just Canberra.

Steelbull
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Australia has many Capitals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_capital_cities)! Just like in the United States here, we have 1 national Capital, and each state has a Capital as well. :)

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
12-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Perth, Darwin, Adelaide and Brisbane....not so many as the USA, but then we only split our country into several states, not like you guys.

BTW, would love to take a RV and drive over your country some day, but i just get my head around you drive on the wrong side of the road...:D

Sangre
12-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Melissa my dear - for Norfolk, read Alabama, but rainier.

Melissia
12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
So it's like the butthole of your nation?

entendre_entendre
12-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Australia is about the same size as North America.

typo? last time i checked Canada was larger than Australia, and Canada's little over half the size of North America.

I'm sorry if i'm making something out of nothing, but i felt compelled to correct this, perhaps it's OCD or something i can get some cool meds for :p

Melissia
12-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Just like the claim that Victoria is larger than Texas (the opposite is true, but it doesn't really matter...)...

Sangre
12-12-2009, 10:18 PM
It's not so much that - just the little backwater corner where we civilised city folk like to take the piss out of.

Also a lot of inbreeding.

gorepants
12-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Australia is about the same size as North America.

typo? last time i checked Canada was larger than Australia, and Canada's little over half the size of North America.

Australia (http://www.ga.gov.au/education/geoscience-basics/dimensions/aus-size-compared.jsp) is a bit smaller the the USA or Canada (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2147rank.html). This mistake may well be caused by the high proportion of US TV we get here, where the US is frequently but not exclusively refered to as 'America' and its people 'Americans'. We don't get nearly as much Canadian or Mexican TV here.

And while the internet is FTW, Victoria (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_size_of_the_state_of_Victoria_Australi a) is about 1/3 the size of Texas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas#Geography).

Melissia
12-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Texas is closer to France in size-- they're both close to 700,000 km^2 (Texas is 696,000, France is 674,000, Victoria is 237,000, Britain is 219,000, etc). France has a larger population (65 million as opposed to 24), mind, as that country's been in existence far longer than Texas has. Still, the only reason to point out the size of Texas is to make the argument that the increased land mass merely means that people are spread out more, and so each region of Texas developed differently, with different economic, cultural, religious, and even linguistic differences.

Old_Paladin
12-12-2009, 10:46 PM

I'm sorry if i'm making something out of nothing, but i felt compelled to correct this, perhaps it's OCD or something i can get some cool meds for :p

No worries, I thought the same thing.
Actually I thought; Hmm, Australia=North America and Australia is a little smaller then China; but I know that Canada is actually bigger then China (as Canada is the second largest country in the world); those numbers just don't add up in any way possible.

Melissia
12-12-2009, 11:01 PM
North America is 24,709,000 square km.

Austrailia is 8,468,300 square km.

China's actual land mass varies depending on who you ask, though not by that much. It's either 9,640,821 or 9,671,018

Canada is 9,984,670 square km.

Oh Wikipedia, how we love thee.

Sangre
12-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Paradoxically, however, London is the approximate size of Russia.

Aldramelech
12-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Paradoxically most Englishmen not from London feel its well overdue another Great Fire..........

Denzark
12-13-2009, 06:00 AM
Unfortunately it seems to remain in the grip of plague without the cleansing fires.

@Sangre Having been born in Edgeware Road General Hospital (its probably now a lebanese restaurant) while my old man was stationed at RAF Hendon (yes I am that old) comments of Norfolk being wet and inbred bother me not at all - it is one of the last bastions of civilised society, by which I mean you can still buy a pint for less than £6.79 and order it in English.

Sangre
12-13-2009, 10:55 AM
We do have dizzying architecture over the height of two storeys though :P

Denzark
12-13-2009, 11:24 AM
2 storeys? Witchcraft!!!!

Sangre
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Ah, the British sense of humour simply cannot be beaten. Join me under the Union Flag, and we shall clasp our British fists to our British breast and hum God Save The Queen.

Denzark
12-14-2009, 01:43 AM
God Bless Her.

Aldramelech
12-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Lets form a people's army and restore HM to her rightful place and oust the unelected Brown dictatorship! LMAO

Denzark
12-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Lets form a people's army and restore HM to her rightful place and oust the unelected Brown dictatorship! LMAO

Slightly off topic (not that we were on it haha) but on the work system, one of my Sgt's sent me the obligatory morale mail - something about signing a petition because MOD is thinking of changing pension again or some similar slapping to the fighting man (or crab:D) any hoo I forward it on to some like minded people, adding the comment 'it's not quite at the stage for a coup yet but we may be getting there...'

5 minutes later, I get an administrator email, telling me my mail is being investigated for inappropriate comments! Now, my Sgt has been banging morale mail with pictures of naked ladies, or swearing jokes, or naked ladies telling swearing jokes, or evwen swearing ladies telling naked jokes, and I have been forwarding them on, with not a twitch. And as soon as I add the 'c' word...

Call me a cynic but. Anyway, you call the time and the place (presumably No 10 Downing Street) and I'll bring the brands and the pitchforks.

Aldramelech
12-14-2009, 02:15 AM
Kinda like living in NK aint it?:rolleyes:

Sangre
12-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Not really, because in North Korea you wouldn't be sitting on the BOLS lounge right now, you'd be sitting in the back of a van, while the secret police eyed you up while thumbing the truncheons on their belts.

Denzark
12-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Sounds like a good friday night with Mrs Denzark...;)

Aldramelech
12-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Not really, because in North Korea you wouldn't be sitting on the BOLS lounge right now, you'd be sitting in the back of a van, while the secret police eyed you up while thumbing the truncheons on their belts.

True. But we are being ruled by an unelected madman with no grip on reality:p

Sangre
12-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Ruling's a bit far. All poor old Gordy seems to do is get in trouble with the press. He doesn't do much ruling. Hell, he doesn't even do much governing.