PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Fist Space Marines 1250pts

Luddite
12-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Hi all,

OK, so i haven't played 40k since 3rd Ed., but recently have been convinced to dive back in with 6th Ed.

I've taken a safe route for a 'reactivated noob' (i think), and gone for Space Marines. Harking right back to 1st Ed. and the awesome cover art, i've gone for Crimson Fists (on fluff grounds). Having read their background, i also love the idea of them being battered survivors.

So, i'm looking to build and initial 1250pt force with one eye on the fluff and one eye on making a competitive force. I wanted a force like the famous cover, basically hard pressed defensive infantry.

With that in mind, here's my first pass at what i believe might be termed a 'gun line' (?) army.

Chapter master (Artificer armour, stormbolter, power sword) 170pts

Tactical marines (10; flamer, missile launcher with flakk) 170pts

Tactical marines (10; flamer, missile launcher with flakk) 170pts

Scouts (5; camo cloaks, teleport homer) 75pts

Thunderfire cannon 100pts

Devastator marines (10; 4 missile launchers with flakk) 240pts

Assault terminators (5; thunder hammers and storm shields) 225pts

Dreadnaught 100pts

I've gone with missile launcher (+flakk) spam essentially to give me lots of flexibility - they should be able to take on infantry, flyers, and armour pretty well.

The bits of the list i'm not sure of are:

Scouts & Terminators: Would i be better switching these out for another Devastator squad - perhaps an anti-horde squad with heavy bolters? (Or MOAR MISSILES!!!!!) Crimson Fist tactics favour devastators after all...

Dreadnaught: i LOVE these guys, but would i be better swapping it out for a second Thunderfire cannon or tank like a vindicator? Not sure about the tank option, given the shattered nature of the Crimson Fist stock.

I'm likely to be regularly facing CSM, Necrons and Grey Knights.

So chaps, what are your thoughts?

All help, advice, and wisdom gratefully received.

Luddite
12-03-2013, 07:03 AM
OK, so i've revised the list, taking out the cool stuff for a more practical and fluffy Crimson Fist gunline.

I'll be facing Necrons, Eldar and Tau.

The list is as follows:

Pedro Kantor - 185pts

Sternguard (8: meltabombs) - 191pts

Tactical marines (10: combi-melta, plasman gun, lascannon) - 185pts

Tactical marines (10: combi-melta, plasman gun, lascannon) - 185pts

Devastators (8: 4x Heavy bolters) - 152pts

Devastators (8: 4x Missile launchers) - 172pts

Scouts (5: Missile launcher) - 80pts

Aegis line with quad gun - 100pts

I've tried to spread capacity across the various units so that they have lots of redundancy and everything can do anything.
The plan is to hold the line and pummel the opponent with gun fire before heading out to grab objectives.
The scouts will man the quad gun.

Chexmix282
12-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Your second list is a HUGE improvement over the first list. I would drop the Combi-Meltas from the Tactical Squads and use those points to add 4 Combi-Meltas to the Sternguard Squad. They will be advancing more as they do not have any heavy weapons.

Angelofblades
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
I'd like to suggest against going for a gun line army, and try going for a more mobile list.

But in keeping with your theme, I think a combination of list 1 and 2 would work best.

Honestly, at 1250, I don't think the need for such expensive HQ is warranted. You could do well with either a Lvl 2 Librarian or a Captain. Now if you intend to take a couple of Sternguard units, then obviously Pedro would make sense.

I would suggest putting the TFC back in, simply because it's support is invaluable.

Luddite
12-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Interesting ideas chaps, i'll give them some thought.

I am concerned that i lack any close combat or mobility. I may rethink things a little to make the force more mobile.

Chexmix282
12-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Interesting ideas chaps, i'll give them some thought.

I am concerned that i lack any close combat or mobility. I may rethink things a little to make the force more mobile.

A couple Rhinos would do wonders for this list. Sternguard are surprisingly good in CC when combined with Pedro... 4 attacks per model on the charge! Most people don't see that coming.

I would drop the Heavy Bolter Devastators for a Thunderfire cannon. Use the extra points for a Rhino and Power Axe for the Sternguard.