PDA

View Full Version : Drop pod assault numbers.

Bob821
11-30-2013, 01:04 AM
If I have two drop pods in an army do they both turn up on turn one? The rules says half rounding up for a drop pod assault sooo..... is half of two rounding up one or two. My maths teacher mate says the half of two rounded up is two but I have always only deployed one on my first turn and left the other in reserve. So whats correct?

Many thanks

Katharon
11-30-2013, 01:34 AM
If I have two drop pods in an army do they both turn up on turn one? The rules says half rounding up for a drop pod assault sooo..... is half of two rounding up one or two. My maths teacher mate says the half of two rounded up is two but I have always only deployed one on my first turn and left the other in reserve. So whats correct?

Many thanks

No. Only one goes in on turn one. If you had three drop pods, then it would let you drop 2 of those 3 on the first turn. The reason, I believe, that they made this rule was to both allow reserved Drop Pod lists onto the board earlier and to encourage gamers to buy more Drop Pods. If you're going to do Drop Pod Assault, then go bananas and use five or six.

euansmith
11-30-2013, 04:47 AM
"My maths teacher mate says the half of two rounded up is two..."

Shudder

Brother Daedulus
11-30-2013, 06:22 AM
2 ÷ 2 = 1, which is a whole number so you leave it. 3÷2 = 1.5, which isn't a whole number so you round it up to 2. Btw how old are you?

Blackcloud6
11-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Where did your maths teacher get his degree? ;)

Sly
11-30-2013, 08:45 AM
"My maths teacher"

Dare I ask about your English teacher?

Bob821
11-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Oh dear… what boring Saturdays you must be having to be taking the piss out of someone’s ability to spell correctly on the internet. I forgot that to take part in the bols forum both grammar and spelling must be perfect at all times. Yawn.

He is not my maths teacher he is a friend of mine who teaches maths. It was a simple question one that I already believed the answer too was only one. He was convinced that this was not case so I decided to propose the question to the bols community.

Wolfshade
12-01-2013, 05:32 PM
I forgot that to take part in the bols forum both grammar and spelling must be perfect at all times.

Yup, there is a test and everything ;)

Don't worry, Saturday's are slow days

Nabterayl
12-01-2013, 08:11 PM
"My maths teacher"

Dare I ask about your English teacher?
Maths is the name of the subject in the UK. We shorten "mathematics" to "math;" they shorten it to "maths."

I'm not a math(s) teacher, but I believe there is a sense in which half of two rounded up is 2. "Rounded up" only means something if you aren't being technical about it; if you want to be precise, you have to specify what you are rounding to. Two divided by two rounded up to the nearest whole number is 1, and that's what most people mean when they don't specify; two divided by two rounded up to the nearest two, or the nearest even number, is 2 - and from a mathematical standpoint you do have to specify.

But ... yes, if you have two drop pods, you only deploy one on the first turn, on the grounds that GW is firmly in the "that's what most people mean when they don't specify" camp.

Asuryan
12-02-2013, 06:20 AM
but I believe there is a sense in which half of two rounded up is 2. "Rounded up" only means something if you aren't being technical about it; if you want to be precise, you have to specify what you are rounding to. Two divided by two rounded up to the nearest whole number is 1, and that's what most people mean when they don't specify; two divided by two rounded up to the nearest two, or the nearest even number, is 2 - and from a mathematical standpoint you do have to specify.

I thought about this when I first read the post, and because of all my science orientated classes we usually round up to the nearest 10 for sig figs, so I have 2 drop pods half rounded up, to ten so let me get the other eight to put down to block movement.

GravesDisease
12-02-2013, 06:32 AM
I really don't see where the confusion has come from in this.

Pssyche
12-02-2013, 06:44 AM
America...