PDA

View Full Version : What was the most broken unit of all-time?

YorkNecromancer
11-29-2013, 01:38 PM
I hear a lot of the youngsters today, all of them too young to remember the glory days of !st edition. The days when Grey Knight Terminators each had a bolt pistol with four shells that you had to keep track of. The days when Imperial Robots needed played designed flowcharts to operate. The days when a vehicle's point cost was based on mathematical equations intended to create balance, but which inevitably designed overcosted, underpowered dreck.

Then came 2nd edition, and with it, madness.

You see, I hear about how the Helturkey is the most brokenest thing evar, but you young people? You know nothing of broken. You haven't seen broken.

Back in 2nd ed, I saw an Imperial Assassin chew through a Space Marine army (not squad, army) in a single assault phase and table the Marine player, all without taking a wound. (The Assassin could run 24" (6" move, doubled to 12" by Combat Drugs, doubled to 24" by Charge. Oh, and no FAQS, because the internets? Not invented yet.), had 8 attacks which wounded on 2+ (Because the Assassin's Strength doubled to 8. Yes, he could melee a tank WITH HIS BARE HANDS) and ignored armour (Combat Drugs again), once it had won an assault, it could then move 6" (doubled up from the normal 3"), and if it was within base contact of an enemy, it could initiate a new assault. It could do this indefinitely. Oh, and it always began as a single model in a unit, so that Missile Launcher guy? Yeah, he was an Assassin all along.)

It would be months before the Dark Millenium expansion finally dealt with this insanity.

So that's my most broken thing evar. What's yours?

N.B.: This isn't a 'Bash stuff' thread. This is a 'Do you remember this madness? Broken, but makes for a good story' nostalgia thread. So try to avoid stuff from 6th edition if you can. It'll just bring out the anger, and that's no fun for anyone. :)

mathhammer
11-29-2013, 02:28 PM
virus bomb - one bomb an entire army.
barbed strangler - shoot the gaunt in the back watch it spread and eat an army.

euansmith
11-29-2013, 02:32 PM
I think that you have gone full broken with the 2dn Ed Assassin; the only unit more broken than a 2nd Ed Assassin is a 2nd Ed Assassin a disgruntled opponent has taken liquid nitrogen and a sledge hammer to.

Dread Corsair
11-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I can't remember if this is truth or a myth but back in 2nd edition wasn't there a mission type called assassination where you had to eliminate the enemy HQ to win but you could just take a Callidus assassin that would turn out to be your enemies HQ and you auto-win?

Denzark
11-29-2013, 05:30 PM
The Virus Bomb +1

Chaoschrist
11-29-2013, 06:05 PM
That assassin sounds utterly broken. But then again, I take it the rules of 2nd ed were part of this kind of "abuse" as well.

I remember pulling of similar shenanigans in 4th where one could consolidate into combat. Consolidating into combat with a daemon weapon was slightly messed up considering the insane amount of attacks.

So perhaps, it's interesting to see what units were broken by themselves, and which ones were just outright crazy because core rules supported this. I mean, 5th ed. paladins and Ork Nobs were frowned upon due to wound allocation. In 6th they're still good, but not as crazy as 5th.

Also; am I missing something out. Virus bomb? What was/is that?

madlants
11-29-2013, 08:13 PM
I learned this a while ago, and it was before my time, but couldn't an Imperial Army list from the old RT or 2nd ed take one shot vortex grenade launchers on every trooper? That would wipe the opposing army as soon as the guardsmen got in range to shoot? Can anyone who's familiar RT or 2nd ed confirm this? I want to say it's from the Rogue Trader era. I'm pretty sure it's from when the IG was still called the Imperial Army.

Maelstorm
11-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Anything with a re-rollable 2++ save....

Bored Lyron
11-30-2013, 03:24 AM
I have fond memories from 2nd edition, after the Dark Millennium expansion, when my marine librarian on a bike managed to get powers to raise his toughness up to 10 and to shoot a vortex that basically destroyed everything that it touched. On the first turn I drove him straight down the middle of the board, vortexed my opponents ork walkers and warboss, charged a unit, destroyed her last power claw in close combat and had my opponent resign as she had no models left that could have in any way harmed the librarian.

Other "fun" memories are the before mentioned virus bombardments/grenades and the ability to give vortex grenades to marine scout sergeants. For some reason 2nd edition always seemed much more broken to me than Rogue Trader, but that might be just because I played more 2nd ed. (And don't get me wrong, RT could be broken as hell as well.)

Anything with a re-rollable 2+ save....

Heh, if you think re-rollable 2+ is bad, you probably haven't played 2nd edition. Let me tell you, re-rollable 3+ on 2d6 is even worse...

knas ser
11-30-2013, 03:56 AM
Well you haven't really left us anywhere to go by starting with that Assassin. But I recall being able to give Haywire and Vortex grenades to my Harlequins back in 1st edition. The kicker? You could buy Telekinesis for the High Avatar (a Harlequin leader) and use it to mentally float the vortex grenade around a corner whilst you were out of sight, to destroy whatever you wanted.

Wow. 1st edition psyker rules were something else.

chicop76
11-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Without doing research the internet was out back than. I remember my dad letting me use it back in 86 and I used it heavily in 94. Save to say it's been around since the 70s or earlier, have to find out for civilian use. Anyway besides the slow downloads almost everything was free on the net.

Genestealers in 3rd was rather bad. If you didn't kill them in shooting they could wipe out an entire army, found that out with my broodlord when it was easy not to be seen when you infiltrated, damn tlos.

I think the Jareco monkey is broken. If it was an IC it would be the most broken model in 40k.

mathhammer
11-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Virus Grenade Page 76 of wargear

This is the shorten version.
2" Radius. Throw it kills a non protected model on a 3+ .
So it doesn't work on vehicles, space marines, terminators.
When a model is killed roll a D6 to see how far the virus spreads,
on a 4+ the next model in line dies at it spreads the virus, You
may need to test multiple times for a single model.

So yes on virus grenade could wipe out an entire non space marine army.

Aspire to Glory
11-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Anything with a re-rollable 2+ save....

This. Period.

Considering how fast they jumped on the condemnor issue with SoBs , they no excuse for allowing 2++ REROLLABLE to exist .

Luckily, I only play casually, so I have the option to refuse to play such a douchebag.

YorkNecromancer
11-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Without doing research the internet was out back than. I remember my dad letting me use it back in 86 and I used it heavily in 94. Save to say it's been around since the 70s or earlier, have to find out for civilian use. Anyway besides the slow downloads almost everything was free on the net.

Ahem.

It's just super for you that your father let you use it back in '86. It's also just super that you had access to it back in '94. It's also just super that you took a colloquial phrase I was using casually in a conversational context, and decided to get real punctilious about it.

I wonder, once you've found out exactly when the internet was available, you could also do the research and find out when the first online FAQ GW published for 40K was made available. I'm hoping it's some time around the release of 2nd ed 40K in 1993, so that the specific date the internet was available for civilian use is in some way relevant to this conversation.

Because otherwise, that would mean you were being incredibly patronising for no good reason, and I'm sure someone with your obvious attention to important little details knows how unpleasant it feels to be patronised.

chicop76
11-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Been around since 1960, 1980s was usable by civilians, 1995 was when the internet was wide spread and was starting to be used as a medium alike TV.

Was too lazy to see when the first FAQ was published. Not like they couldn't had made a magazine to publish said materials. Like some companies did, or reprinted the material with corrections like some companies do as well.

Aspire to Glory
11-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Been around since 1960, 1980s was usable by civilians, 1995 was when the internet was wide spread and was starting to be used as a medium alike TV.

Was too lazy to see when the first FAQ was published. Not like they couldn't had made a magazine to publish said materials. Like some companies did, or reprinted the material with corrections like some companies do as well.

I wonder when this guy is going to catch on that nobody cares.

YorkNecromancer
11-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Was too lazy to see when the first FAQ was published.

So, you agree the availability of the internet is not remotely relevant to this discussion then?

Good to know we agree completely.

Only when he feels he has finally won this thread, I suspect.

Mr.Pickelz
11-30-2013, 09:46 AM
I started in third, but tried to play second edition with space wolves and a friend having Harlequins... being immune to panic checks and/or re-rolling morale stuff didn't help against the acrobatic nature of a single harlequin with a Kiss taking down 1/2 your army, which allowed the Avatar to "nut-punt" your Wolf Lord...

YorkNecromancer
11-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Of course, Space Wolves could equip every Terminator in their army with a Cyclone, Assault Cannon, and Chainfist (in the days before Unwieldy). They had a 3+ save on 2D6.

Oh, and Cyclones fired single Super-Krak missiles. They were like modern Krak missiles, only with a half-inch diameter blast template. Not so bad.

Apart from the fact you could combine them into a salvo. Every missile in the salco increased the blast radius by half an inch. You could add as many missiles as you wanted, as long as you had some left. The Cyclone came with sixteen.

That's a Krak missile with an 8" blast marker.

If you had a squad of five Wolf Guard, all with Cyclones, things became insane. After the nuclear blast destroyed 90% of your army, five unkillable Terminators would cut swatches through your army with Assault Cannon fire and Chainfists that struck at I4.

Madness.

Mr Mystery
11-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Couldn't take that combo, not without cheating.

Cyclone Targetter replaced the Powerfist, and couldn't be further swapped.

And a WD FAQ prevented cyclone and assault cannon.

chicop76
11-30-2013, 11:18 AM

I wonder when this guy is going to catch on that he doesn't care.

YorkNecromancer
11-30-2013, 11:31 AM
And a WD FAQ prevented cyclone and assault cannon.

Sadly, we'd all stopped playing by the time that came out. :(

I wonder when this guy is going to catch on that he doesn't care.

Look, if you're going to derail a thread for the sake of preserving your ego, could you at least do so in a manner that is grammatically correct? The conjugation of your sentence here leaves it entirely unclear if you are talking the original poster or yourself.

If it's the original poster, his reponse provides empirical proof that he does, in point of fact, clearly care, and thus your statement is false.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about yourself, you should have used the pronoun 'I', rather than the third person pronoun 'he'. In addition, I feel I should also point out that the fact you have responsed three times provides empirical proof that you also care, and very much so, or else why have you bothered posting? Hence, your statement is proven false again.

A need to have the last word generally doesn't help.

Now, you can either do the cool thing, which would be to post something broken from a previous iteration of 40K we can all enjoy discussing, or you can make like Kenny Rogers, and know when to fold 'em.

chicop76
11-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Sadly, we'd all stopped playing by the time that came out. :(

Look, if you're going to derail a thread for the sake of preserving your ego, could you at least do so in a manner that is grammatically correct? The conjugation of your sentence here leaves it entirely unclear if you are talking the original poster or yourself.

If it's the original poster, his reponse provides empirical proof that he does, in point of fact, clearly care, and thus your statement is false.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about yourself, you should have used the pronoun 'I', rather than the third person pronoun 'he'. In addition, I feel I should also point out that the fact you have responsed three times provides empirical proof that you also care, and very much so, or else why have you bothered posting? Hence, your statement is proven false again.

A need to have the last word generally doesn't help.

Now, you can either do the cool thing, which would be to post something broken from a previous iteration of 40K we can all enjoy discussing, or you can make like Kenny Rogers, and know when to fold 'em.

Honestly I just read blah blah derail blah blah.

I just pointed out that the internet was around. I not the one getting huffy puffy about it. I could care less.

The most broken unit of all time to me was the two 2plus invulnerable saving Cannoness combo which could easily wipe out whole armies. It did spark debate against grey knights who use to ignore invulnerable saves with psycannons. The debate was if the invulnerable save replaced the regular save they could gun them down where they stood. However if they still had the 2 plus save they could laugh off the psycannons and proceed to dice up the unit.

I did heard vortex grenades was pretty broken.

@ Yorknecrobanner. Stop getting upset over little things. Writing whole paragraphs not on the topic at hand is derailing the over topic.

harveydent
11-30-2013, 12:02 PM
2nd Ed. Warp Spiders were ridiculous, as were the Callidus and the Bloodthirster.

3rd Ed. Hellhound was pretty horrible, as were Eldar Pathfinders.

4th Ed. Daemonettes and Bloodletters from the first CSM book, as well as Zoanthropes.

5th Ed. GK Paladins

Maciej Kaminski
11-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Hellturkey ofc. Can burn it's worth in points each turn while being extremely durable due to It Will Not Die, high AV for a flyer, 5++ and ofc. being flyer.

TheyStoleMyName!
11-30-2013, 12:17 PM
I know it's not broken when compared to a bunch of the 2nd ed stuff, but I always found the 3rd Ed holo-falcons with Spirit Stones that were nigh unkillable and could take/contest quarters when that was a huge part of winning 40k games. Zip back and forth shooting the 3 shot Starcannon then turboboost 3 of them to take zones at the end of the game.

As for FAQ's, I loved when GW would reprint books with changes without really notifying anyone. I remember being a TO back then and having people come to me with an argument. I told them to check their codex (3.5 Chaos), and they both showed me a codex with DIFFERENT stats in it. Obviously you could take the printing date to see which one was the most recent, but it was crappy for the guy who expected his Oblits to be straight T5.

Maleagant
11-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Back in RT days, the Psyker power Temporal Distort was the most broken. With 2 level 4 Psykers you could not just table your opponent's army, but change it over to your side completly all on turn 1.
Give 1 Psyker Temporal Distort (allows you to repeat any 1 part of your turn - psychic phase for example)
Give the other Psyker Teleport and Change Allegiance (which will turn an enemy unit to your side)
Psyker A teleports out in front of enemy deployment zone.
Psyker B uses Temporal DIstort to repeat psychic phase.
Psyker A Changes Allegiance of enemy unit.
Psyker B uses Temporal Distort again.
Psyker A Teleports in fron of a new enemy unit.
Repeat until you control entire enemy army or until you run out of Psychic Points.

Gavin Bridges
11-30-2013, 12:23 PM

You have annoyed me this much that I registered in order to reply. NO the internet has not been around since the 60's. Networks have been around since the 60's but they were not interconnected. It was roughly the 1980's when they became interconnected and joined up in a framework similar to the internet. 1991 was the first time we could see something we could recognize as the internet. Even then we had to wait until 1995 for a OS with a browser that could support it and do wondrous things (roughly).

If you are talking about military networks... then why would you go on it in 1984? nothing was really around on it. As a kid going on a military network? (I am guessing this because of the fact your "dad" let you on it) Nothing to see or do that really was any fun. If you are going to be pedantic and state facts, perhaps a simple google search would be able to provide your evidence and post it. You could put it as a "by the by". Also you could have happily pointed out GW used to put FAQ in WD at about 1993...

As an Aside.. I remember fighting 2nd ed Dark Angels Vs Ultramarines (I was UM) and loosing most of my army only to win as I had the greater VP. I had the commander alive and one squad of scouts. I thought at that point 2nd ed was not really worth playing so we switched to Epic.. and there was a TON of things broken in that.

Demonus
11-30-2013, 12:24 PM
LOL so much hate in this thread I love it. Knew there was a reason I blocked that guy the second post of his I read back in the day.

Riptides are broken. F em.

chicop76
11-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I know it's not broken when compared to a bunch of the 2nd ed stuff, but I always found the 3rd Ed holo-falcons with Spirit Stones that were nigh unkillable and could take/contest quarters when that was a huge part of winning 40k games. Zip back and forth shooting the 3 shot Starcannon then turboboost 3 of them to take zones at the end of the game.

As for FAQ's, I loved when GW would reprint books with changes without really notifying anyone. I remember being a TO back then and having people come to me with an argument. I told them to check their codex (3.5 Chaos), and they both showed me a codex with DIFFERENT stats in it. Obviously you could take the printing date to see which one was the most recent, but it was crappy for the guy who expected his Oblits to be straight T5.

I forgot about Eldar skimmers in 3rd and I think 4th as well. It was impossible to kill those darn Falcons. At least Wave Serpents couldn't have that.

The shooting in the movement phase was hella good too. The way terrain was you could move between terrain and never be shot at. If you was shot at the skimmer rules and the re rolling results made it hard to kill, wait it was roll two dice and take the lowest. It's been awhile.

El Lobo UK
11-30-2013, 12:52 PM
You kids want broken? how about the ultimate WMD (move over every deathstar in 5th/6th)... the Rogue Trader Vortex Missile (or was it torpedo?) best 450 points you'll ever spend. would basically hit any poitn on the table you pleased, with a blast large enough to cover 90% of the table... in a vortex template... kiss everything except that one techmarine you hid in the corner of the board goodbye... then win by default because everything else just went into the warp.

Or for the best ZERO points you will ever be lucky enough to spend, the 2nd edition strategy card, Virus Outbreak... could come halfway to annihilating quite a few armies before deployment was over. So bad, that in a WD article, Andy Chambers encouraged every player to take their Virus Outbreak card, and rip it into teeny tiny pieces.

CaptainStabby
11-30-2013, 01:04 PM
You're misremembering the Assassin to a pretty huge degree and mixing up multiple temple rules sets. Only the Eversor had the potential to do open ended follow up attacks, and it was 50/50 if he used that particular combat drug. Also he could only us one combat drug at a time, so... if you were using all 3 at once, you were doing it wrong. Also the Callidus was the one with Polymorphene. The bog standard Assassin from Codex Imperialis didn't do any of that.

The only unit in 2E that had 100% guaranteed open ended up follow up attacks as I remember was Kharn and that was a double edged sword because he would follow up to friendly units as well.

The SW Terminators of Doom were ridiculous till it got FAQ'd and even then a lot of people just didn't know about it so it was like wtf.

DarkLink
11-30-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm voting for the rerollable 2++ on a large, multi-wound unit. It's as close to being literally impossible to kill as you've ever been able to get in 40k. You need 108 straight bolter shots to do even a single wound after rolling to hit, wound, saves, and reroll saves. Does anyone still think that Phil Kelly writes good rules?

The most broken unit of all time to me was the two 2plus invulnerable saving Cannoness combo which could easily wipe out whole armies. It did spark debate against grey knights who use to ignore invulnerable saves with psycannons. The debate was if the invulnerable save replaced the regular save they could gun them down where they stood. However if they still had the 2 plus save they could laugh off the psycannons and proceed to dice up the unit.

Not really that impressed with that combo. It's still only 6 wounds, even back then you could shoot that to death, 2++ or not. And it's not like they were exceptionally fast or deadly, at least not compared to even, say, a Daemon Prince with the Black Mace and Invisibility.

And your invulnerable save replaced your armor save, meaning you no longer had an armor save, so psycannons would kill them.

@ Yorknecrobanner. Stop getting upset over little things. Writing whole paragraphs not on the topic at hand is derailing the over topic.

I'm not sure if I would describe those as paragraphs. Point is, you were wrong, let's get back to the thread.

Phill Walsh
11-30-2013, 01:52 PM
If i remember correctly, second Ed Eldar with "Doom" and "Mind War" in was pretty broken! Doom=All psychic attacks automatically hit, and all unsaved wounds are doubled, Mind war=causes D6 S5 hits with no save allowed...... or something like that! :confused: Basically you were delivering a minimum of 2 wounds (max 12!) to a character and your opponent could do nothing about it, oh, and you could store power cards if you did not get enough to deliver it in one turn! Far to cheesy! So off the back of that, I would have to go with Second Ed, Eldar Farseer.

chicop76
11-30-2013, 02:05 PM
If i remember correctly, second Ed Eldar with "Doom" and "Mind War" in was pretty broken! Doom=All psychic attacks automatically hit, and all unsaved wounds are doubled, Mind war=causes D6 S5 hits with no save allowed...... or something like that! Basically you were delivering a minimum of 2 wounds (max 12!) to a character and your opponent could do nothing about it, oh, and you could store power cards if you did not get enough to deliver it in one turn! Far to cheesy!

Augment was pretty bad when the eye of terror came out. It doubled the farseer range. Actually seer councils on bikes was ridiculous. The fact you could had taken 5 farseers with a bunch of warlocks was silly.

I think the Nightbringer was pretty bad if phase out wasn't an option. Also the Calladius assaulting out of reserves and ignore invulnerable saves was rather good. It was even better when the psychic battle squads came around.

YorkNecromancer
11-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Stop getting upset over little things. Writing whole paragraphs not on the topic at hand is derailing the over topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn481KcjvMo&feature=player_detailpage

His_Dudeness
11-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Not quite broken but who remebers squats on skyboards dropping grenades. Good times

chicop76
11-30-2013, 02:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn481KcjvMo&feature=player_detailpage

What this has to do with the topic. Again case in point. At this point I am just going to respond via message instead in open forum about any off topic tomfoolery. However knowing you will have something witty to say, I choose to ignore inflammation and off topic distractions, due to someone getting short about not knowing when the internet is not around. If you want a rebuttal from me anymore about that topic it will be via message which I would gladly message anyone who cares to engage anymore into the realm of flamming.

I guess Kenny Rogers is over powered since that's the only movie he actually did well in.

I am surprised no one mentioned Fateweaver or Flammers of Tzeentch in 5th edition.

Ezaviel
11-30-2013, 04:18 PM
The only unit in 2E that had 100% guaranteed open ended up follow up attacks as I remember was Kharn and that was a double edged sword because he would follow up to friendly units as well.

One of my favourite moments was when one of my gaming group started playing Kharn a lot. I took exception, so I started playing a lone techmarine with a jump pack in my army. Came out at like, 45ish points, so he was worth 0 victory points, and I would just fly him straight into Kharn every game, triggering the murder rampage when he was still a long way from my army. Cue Kharn taking out most of his own guys.

The chaos player fairly quickly stopped taking Kharn every game.

Ezaviel
11-30-2013, 04:27 PM
As for broken in geneal, I felt that the Inquisition powers deck from Dark Millenium was pretty damned broken. Mostly because of Vortex. Yeah, my Librarian can shoot Vortex templates that move 3d6 inches in a direction I choose, and destoy anything the template touches. And the template stayed in place like a vortex grenade, potentially moving around, getting smaller, or exploding and getting bigger...

And of course Virus grenades and the Vortex Grenades themselves.

Mr Mystery
11-30-2013, 04:32 PM
All that on a level 4 Inquisitor in Terminator armour, with combat drugs, psycannon, force rod, combat drugs, with Iron Arm cast on him. In the middle of the enemy army, throwing out a Holocaust....

Steven Palmer
11-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Book of true names >.> then that character riptide for me

sorri
11-30-2013, 05:20 PM
One of my favourite moments was when one of my gaming group started playing Karn a lot. I took exception, so I started playing a lone techmarine with a jump pack in my army. Came out at like, 45ish points, so he was worth 0 victory points, and I would just fly him straight into Karn every game, triggering the murder rampage when he was still a long way from my army. Cue Karn taking out most of his own guys.

The chaos player fairly quickly stopped taking Karn every game.

See, it's this type of thing that I just love. Someone finds or hears about something broken. They don't change, so people figure out a way to neutralize/turn it around. Person sees that this is not going well and stops using broken unit. Awesome. :)

raayden
11-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Hmmm...only good thing about the early orks and totally OP, pulsa rocket. Knocked everything down within huge range regardless of the 2++ or any other defence for that matter and then you prayed you could kill everything before the damn librarian/assassin/solitaire stood back up!!

chicop76
12-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Hmmm...only good thing about the early orks and totally OP, pulsa rocket. Knocked everything down within huge range regardless of the 2++ or any other defence for that matter and then you prayed you could kill everything before the damn librarian/assassin/solitaire stood back up!!

Didn't orc choppa turn all saves into 4plus. I remember they wrecked marines and terminators.

DarkLink
12-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Khornate Chainswords, too.

Chris Fisher
12-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Chris Fisher
12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
You win.

Back in RT days, the Psyker power Temporal Distort was the most broken. With 2 level 4 Psykers you could not just table your opponent's army, but change it over to your side completly all on turn 1.
Give 1 Psyker Temporal Distort (allows you to repeat any 1 part of your turn - psychic phase for example)
Give the other Psyker Teleport and Change Allegiance (which will turn an enemy unit to your side)
Repeat until you control entire enemy army or until you run out of Psychic Points.

Chris Fisher
12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
LOL so much hate in this thread I love it. Knew there was a reason I blocked that guy the second post of his I read back in the day.

Riptides are broken. F em.

Not really. I wasted on in a single go with my Land Raider.

Chris Fisher
12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Not sure this qualifies as the most broke of all time, but I just got the new Codex: Inquisition. Henchmen warbands are broken now. They removed the limit on individual models so you can now have 12 of any one model in the squad.

It includes nukes. Full on, army disintegrating NUKES. It's called a dozen psykers. Str 10, AP 1 12" blast psychic attack. Yes, that's TWO FREAKIN FEET of destruction. All for the low, low price of 120pts. Then choose your delivery system, Valkyrie, Chimera, Rhino or Land Raider. Personally, I'd either put them in a Rhino for 30 points and shoot them across the table at break neck speed to detonate in my opponent's face, or use Valkyries to drop them smack in the middle of his deployment zone to detonate. Of course, with a 36" range you may not need to do either. I'm going to save three of these for the next time I play a powergamming douche. :)

Yes folks, this just came out.

Next in line, there's the 12 plasma multi-melta/heavy bolter gunline of servitors also for a whopping 120 points. 240 if you want plasmacannons all around.

Or the dozen Death Cult assassins at init 6 with power weapons all around.

DarkLink
12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
The psyker's power is always a large blast. It doesn't get bigger. And while those other units have decent firepower, the're also immobile, short ranged, and fragile.

interrogator_chaplain
12-09-2013, 09:08 PM
When my friend brings his Riptide, I bring a squad of Company Veterans in a Land Raider. I corner him and engage him in close-combat and then I Sweeping Advance him. Then I let my Vets run rampant in the Tau deployment zone.

I'm calling the Void Shield Generator's broken due to the absolute lack of a standard measurement for the structure. This leaves the building size parameters up to the constructor of the structure and this is definitely easy to abuse. I could, in theory, have 3 Void Shield Generators in 1 Fortifications slot that measure 2 feet by 1 foot. And anywhere on that structure I can project 3 Void Shield 1 extra foot. Giving you the potential to make a corridor of 9 Void Shields. A small detail, but one easily open to abuse. (And I know this is avoidable if you avoid a power-gamer like attitude, but it's attitudes like that that give us the Trip-Tide list and the Screamerstar.)

Sainhann
12-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I can't remember if this is truth or a myth but back in 2nd edition wasn't there a mission type called assassination where you had to eliminate the enemy HQ to win but you could just take a Callidus assassin that would turn out to be your enemies HQ and you auto-win?

Sorry she didn't like that.

They could only take the place of a trooper model.

Oh and they couldn't take over the Las Cannon armed Space Marine either, one of the normal Marines yes but not one armed with a Heavy Weapon.

Had a game where my opponent took over on of my Fire Dragons and then forgot to move (I.E. assault) with the Assassin.

When I got to my turn I found out that she didn't dance so well. Put enough shots into her and she would die. Oh back then the Guardians had a far better Shurkien Catapult.

But I would vote for Virus Grenade lost half of my Eldar once to that. Though I did almost won that game.

Sainhann
12-09-2013, 09:35 PM

Oh and the Army that was most likely to use this.

Harlequins

But this went away when Rogue Trader went away.

But Harlequins still were a very tough little army.

Could take Neural Disrupters use the Flamer template but use the target Leadership for wounding. Great little Space Marine killer.

Oh and every single character could have it.

Also could have abilities that were they could only be hit on "6's" in close combat. Could jump out of Close Combat and shoot (Neural Disrupter)

Their armies were quite small for back then I only fielded around 35-36 total for my complete army.

There is a reason why GW did not give them a new Army List.

They were very broken.

I hardly ever lost with them if ever.