PDA

View Full Version : Two-Handed Weapons and Storm Shields

Katharon
11-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Just so we're all clear, you can take a two-handed weapon like the Relic Blade and a Storm Shield on the same model. I've recently just run through a rash of relative new players that seem to think that using a Relic Blade and a SS is not possible -- that is patently false. The only reason why they are classified as two-handed is so that you don't have players buying two of them and getting that +1 attack for two CCWs. Because, believe me, I'd be paying the posts to give my Chapter Master two S6 AP3 relic blades that hit at regular iniative!

Anyone else encountered problems or arguments over this issue?

Mr Mystery
11-26-2013, 12:23 AM
You can take both, but you can't use/benefit from both in combat, just like Fantasy.

So in hth, you don't get the Stormshield. But you do when getting shot at.

sebi81
11-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Where does it say so? As far as I remember the rules for two-handed-weapons only say you canīt get +1 A for two ccw. The stormshield getīs you 3++ not +1 A. So why should using a two-handed-weapon deny this saving throw in cc?

Katharon
11-26-2013, 01:28 AM
You can take both, but you can't use/benefit from both in combat, just like Fantasy.

So in hth, you don't get the Stormshield. But you do when getting shot at.

You would be incorrect Mr. Mystery. You always get your 3++ from your SS, even if you have the Two-handed weapon -- whether it is from a shooting or melee attack. Both the relic blade and the storm shield deny you getting +1 Attack, but don't interfere with each other in any other way.

Storm96
11-26-2013, 03:00 AM
Storm shields actually prevent you from getting the +1 attack no matter what you use as your melee weapon so why not go with Relic Blade / Thunder Hammer / Power Fist.

Mr Mystery
11-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Storm Shield is described a single handed weapon isn't it?

Vangrail
11-26-2013, 03:41 AM
It is a single handed weapon. but just means you don't get the bonus +1 attack. yes you can use a storm shield and relic blade.

Katharon
11-26-2013, 04:56 AM
It is a single handed weapon. but just means you don't get the bonus +1 attack. yes you can use a storm shield and relic blade.

Yup. It'll be interesting as well to see if anyone gets an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor out there with a daemonblade & SS. That can be a mean, mean combo.

Tyrendian
11-26-2013, 08:27 AM
from a fluff perspective, it's not so much the physical shield itself that grants the extra protection, but the field it generates - and that would still be there should you carry the thing on your back for example; maybe not quite as effective as when you can actually block a sword with the thing but still...

Nabterayl
11-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Oftentimes no. It's frequently classified as just a piece of wargear, which happens to specify that the model can never claim +1A for having two Melee weapons.

Tynskel
11-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Oftentimes no. It's frequently classified as just a piece of wargear, which happens to specify that the model can never claim +1A for having two Melee weapons.

Even if it was considered a melee weapon, there's nothing in the rules stating you do not benefit from the Storm Shield while wielding a two-handed weapon. All the rules *do* say is that you may never benefit from the bonus attack for wielding two weapons.

Nabterayl
11-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Yeah, this is one of those cases where reading too much into the name of the rule really is reading too much into the name of the rule. "Hands" are not a game concept. There's no rule stating that you can only have, or benefit from, X hands' worth of gear. There is never a case where you need to ask yourself, "Okay, how many hands does it take to benefit from this piece of wargear?"

DarkLink
11-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Karathon's correct.

Single handed and double handed only matter for your bonus attack, nothing else. It's been two editions since there were a limit on the number of hand...slots, I guess, on weapons you could have on one model. Now you can have twelve pistols and five ccw and six storm shields, you just won't get +1A for it.

His_Dudeness
11-28-2013, 09:27 PM
I think in the last codex there was a snip it saying this was a "good tactic and makes for a cool looking model" or something. I know that's the last edition but there are no rule changes in reguard to this.

Katharon
11-29-2013, 06:50 AM
I think in the last codex there was a snip it saying this was a "good tactic and makes for a cool looking model" or something. I know that's the last edition but there are no rule changes in reguard to this.

Correct.

Sizzly
11-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Hey, Katharan.

It doesn't look like the SS/Daemonblade combo is an option. The Malleus inquisitor doesn't have the ability to choose from the Inquisitorial Armory (it's options are pretty well specified as far as weapons go). The only option from the wargear section that isn't hard coded is the Inquisitorial Relics section. Whew on that.

DarkLink
11-29-2013, 11:52 AM
You can take Inquisitor Hector Rex, though.

That, in fact, is probably the thing that bugs me the most about the GK codex (other than the lack of Fearless). Sword and shield Grey Knights would look so awesome, but you can't do that.

chicop76
11-29-2013, 12:37 PM
You can take Inquisitor Hector Rex, though.

That, in fact, is probably the thing that bugs me the most about the GK codex (other than the lack of Fearless). Sword and shield Grey Knights would look so awesome, but you can't do that.

Until someone with sense said that if Paladins had that it would be tooo op. The op goods got smacked for that one.

DarkLink
11-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes, they would have had to design a lot of stuff differently.

Kyban
11-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Maybe with the GK codex update? Any rumors on when that's supposed to be?

Katharon
11-29-2013, 06:03 PM
You know, it says under the Inquisitorial Armory that "a model can replace one weapon with one of the following," and it doesn't say that an Inquisitor can't take anything from the armory...so, if you'd be willing to risk it for the biscuit, then yeah, I'd go for it. >:-P

Sizzly
11-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Nope. You can only take from that set of war gear if the unit/IC entry specifically says you can. Like it says that inquisitors can take from Inquisitorial relics.

Katharon
11-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Nope. You can only take from that set of war gear if the unit/IC entry specifically says you can. Like it says that inquisitors can take from Inquisitorial relics.

You're ignoring the rules-lawyering I made above.

DarkLink
11-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Otherwise, any model could buy anything off the wargear lists. But, yes, it is very poorly worded.

Sizzly
12-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi. Sorry. This quote from the codex should address it: "Many entries in the army
list that follows may include the option to take items from one or more of
these lists – in each instance, the army list entry will tell you (in bold) exactly
which of these lists you can use."

So it's pretty clear, me thinks. You can only take from a particular list of wargear if that list is in bold in the unit entry.