PDA

View Full Version : Scenic bases

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-22-2013, 03:47 PM
okay so i have been browsing looking for unique gaming bases and so far i havn't seen anything that just jumps out i checked the warstore and alas saw some that would be okay but nothing that said hey buy me. any ideas? i would need 28-60mm bases maybe even some of the larger ovals as well. going to put my roman styled marines taking over some city? so any suggestions?

iamian
11-22-2013, 04:58 PM
I always make my own.

I start with 5 or 6 blanks and sculpt them glued onto a price of foam core, then make a 1 part mold and cast the hell out of them.

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
my modeling skills sadly are not up to a high enough standard where i would trust myself to be able to make and then cast my own replica's

iamian
11-22-2013, 06:43 PM
It's really not as hard as you think.

For my urban bases I made circles out of matte board ( used a nickel for a template) and then cut them to look like paving stones.

I randomly hacked up the edges to show age and wear.

I glued the "stones" to the base, leaving a slight gap. This is why I used a nickel for a template, it's slightly smaller tha a 25mm base.

On about half of them I only put the stones on half the base, for the other half I mixed sand with glue a textured it, leaving it low for a curb effect.

They came out pretty nice. The only difficult part was to not over pour the resin. If you do you get a rounded bottom.

Here is an unpainted one (well, it's blue) on a dire avenger

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-22-2013, 07:00 PM
that looks pretty good. I will have to give i a try. i just know in the past when i have tried doing this kind of stuff it all ends up poorly or goes terribly wrong lol.

iamian
11-22-2013, 07:27 PM
One last thing. Use smooth-on. It's cheaper(though still pricey, all of them are) and it's one to one. Alumni lite an some others are a ratio by weight when mixing. Oomoo (molding material) and smooth-cast (resin) mix one to one and are pretty forgiving

BigGrim
11-26-2013, 07:08 AM
I've bought my bases for my Eldar from Dragon Forge (http://www.dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/store%20directory/round_base_sets.htm). Lost Empire. There are loads of options and Jeff himself is absolutely brilliant.

Skullchewer
11-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Dark Art Miniatures are nice. (http://www.darkartminiatures.com/)

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-26-2013, 10:27 AM
taking a look at them now i saw that scribor has a nice collection of bases as well but man are they pricey compared to some of the sites you guys just linked me to. dragonforge seems to be pretty reasonable for what your getting

DarkLink
11-26-2013, 12:12 PM
I like Scribor, but it seems like every one of their bases has a head on it.

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-26-2013, 02:33 PM
ya i noticed that it was perplexing. the whole concept behind my chapter is a greek/roman theme. So i really like the scribor bases appearance wise due to the fact that they can represent a lot of conquered worlds. But sheesh their prices are not cheap for what amounts to simply a base... some of the sites listed above actually sell full sets of 10 or at least 5.... not scribor... greedy sob's but i already have a nice way to fix that :)

Thebasementgamer
11-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Second on Dragon Forge. They are superb quality.

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-27-2013, 02:47 PM
ya i am liking the dragon forge detail wise i do like the scribor one's the most though but their price is just well ridiculous. even the groupings they are 2-3 per 8-10$ purchase... sorry but its just a base dragon forge charges roughly 1$ per base so for me its more then reasonable and they seem to be doing these sales that aren't bad at all. i know i look at it as its for a whole project. so price is key do not feel like paying an arm and a leg for bases even highly detailed bases. sorry scribor isn't forgeworld

BigGrim
11-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Dragon Forge has seen to all my needs for my Eldar, plus Jeff himself is a really good guy. His recent specials have been pretty good!

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-29-2013, 03:25 PM
ya i can say after talking to him that he has earned my business now to figure whih bases i want to get lol