PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an electric hobby drill?

foostoofoo
11-30-2009, 12:56 PM
So I was thinking, when going to pin metal models we have to drill a hole in them with the hand turning drills. Personally I hate doing it, it bores me. So does anyone know of a decent electric drill that I could use for pinning models? :)

Melissia
11-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I've been tempted... getting glue to stick on metal models is rather unreliable, no matter what kind of glue I use it seems.

mr t marine
11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Get a dremel, The cordless 10.8 volt lithium ion one.

Dremels are the dogs bollocks for electric drills of this caliber.

theHman
11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I have both a hand pin vice and battery operated Dremel "minimite" 750.
Both have their place and uses.

Is the investment in a battery operated Dremel a good one?
I think so. It's definitely been useful for my hobby projects like drilling hundreds of bullet holes into terrain and vehicles.
Heck, I haven't even tried any of the 30+ different attachments that came with mine.

If you get a dremel, get the lowest speed you can find.
Mine is a 2 speed, and I never use the hi speed because it's just too fast.

One thing to note - using the dremel will take a bit of practice getting used to.

Sometimes when you start drilling, because the drill is on, it can move from the place you want to drill. So be careful.

I suggest do your first few drilling attempts on a mini that you don't care about. Or just practicing a little on some plastic sprue will be helpful until you get the hang of using it.

FYI - head over to amazon.com to read reviews and find your dremel. You want is this one (link to amazon). (http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-761-03-Cordless-Grooming-Rotary/dp/B0000C6DZ2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1259610605&sr=8-16)

In case the link isn't working, just go to amazon and search for this:

Dremel 761-03 Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Rotary Tool

I bought a dremel that was the step up from this one and wished I hadn't - It's just too fast on the drilling.

Hope that helps.

@Melissia: Try using "loctite" brand super glue. It's the best super glue I've found and used in over 10 yrs in the hobby. Plus it's cheap!

Another option if you're having trouble gluing metal on metal, or plastic on metal, is to get yourself some 2-part epoxy glue. That stuff will bond just about anything together.

Faolain
11-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I have both a hand pin vice and battery operated Dremel "minimite" 750.
Both have their place and uses.

Is the investment in a battery operated Dremel a good one?
I think so. It's definitely been useful for my hobby projects like drilling hundreds of bullet holes into terrain and vehicles.
Heck, I haven't even tried any of the 30+ different attachments that came with mine.

If you get a dremel, get the lowest speed you can find.
Mine is a 2 speed, and I never use the hi speed because it's just too fast.

One thing to note - using the dremel will take a bit of practice getting used to.

Sometimes when you start drilling, because the drill is on, it can move from the place you want to drill. So be careful.

I suggest do your first few drilling attempts on a mini that you don't care about. Or just practicing a little on some plastic sprue will be helpful until you get the hang of using it.

FYI - head over to amazon.com to read reviews and find your dremel. You want is this one (link to amazon). (http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-761-03-Cordless-Grooming-Rotary/dp/B0000C6DZ2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1259610605&sr=8-16)

In case the link isn't working, just go to amazon and search for this:

Dremel 761-03 Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Rotary Tool

I bought a dremel that was the step up from this one and wished I hadn't - It's just too fast on the drilling.

Hope that helps.

@Melissia: Try using "loctite" brand super glue. It's the best super glue I've found and used in over 10 yrs in the hobby. Plus it's cheap!

Another option if you're having trouble gluing metal on metal, or plastic on metal, is to get yourself some 2-part epoxy glue. That stuff will bond just about anything together.

What this guy said. I use the regular dremel I picked up at Costco, and while it is very fast I'm used to controlling it though there was quite the learning curve. Go with the smaller speed for hobby purposes.

Loctite is an excellent brand. Also, try scoring (scratching) both sides to be joined. You'll get better results that way.

Morgrim
11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
For the 'drill bit slipping' issue, I've heard good things about drilling a pilot hole a mm or so deep with your pin vice, and then using the dremel afterwards.

theHman
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
For the 'drill bit slipping' issue, I've heard good things about drilling a pilot hole a mm or so deep with your pin vice, and then using the dremel afterwards.

I've done this numerous times - it's a godsend of a technique when working on delicate parts.

Lerra
12-01-2009, 01:20 AM
The cheap craft tools seem to work better in my experience than "proper" tools. I bought a $20 electric dremel at Michael's Crafts, and it's slow enough that I can drill through plastic without melting it (as long as I don't leave it in place for too long). It's powerful enough to be effective with metal, too.

Proper tools tend to be too much for miniature work. Even the lowest speed on many variable speed dremels is too much.

rkiviman
12-01-2009, 03:50 PM
The dremel is a great tool to use, but you've got to be careful with speed. I usually start the hole with a hobby knife and then finish it with dremel. You can set the tool on the lowest setting and it works great. It does take a little practice in using it. With the dremel though you can use it for sanding down the metal burrs and parts.

Duke
12-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I use my dremel all the time, especially when drilling holes in Bolter muzzles. The trick is to not turn the speed up too high because it melts the plastic. Also, I suggest buying a specific "Precision drill bit set" for the dremel. But be advised, it needs a special mount for some of the smaller drill bits.

Duke

Brass Scorpion
12-02-2009, 12:38 AM
So I was thinking, when going to pin metal models we have to drill a hole in them with the hand turning drills. Personally I hate doing it, it bores me. So does anyone know of a decent electric drill that I could use for pinning models? :)
I bought a small Dremel tool for pinning when they went from lead to pewter alloy back in 1994-1995. I still use a pin vice for small work and for plastic, but for most metal models requiring pins I always use a Dremel. Pewter will wear you and your pin vice out otherwise. What takes hours by hand can be done in minutes with a Dremel. Buy a rechargable Dremel Stylus, the pistol grip gives terrific control.

BuFFo
12-02-2009, 09:48 AM

Going with the local mob here, get yourself a Dremel. If you fancy yourself a converter, then this tool is essential to your craft, even if just for pinning!

As other have stated, and it bears saying again, create a small hole first with your hand drill, then use the Dremel, so that the Dremel drill doesn't slip off the metal and ruin the figure or hurt you in any way.

lobster-overlord
12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
it bores me.

THis is one of the funniest, yet subtle jokes I've read in quite a while... I don't even think it was intended.