PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for my In-Laws

ElectricPaladin
11-21-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm stumped.

I'd like to get a holiday present for my father-in-law, mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and her boyfriend, my brother-in-law-to-be. The trouble is that I never have the slightest idea what to get for them. They're a bunch of normals. Sweet people, but pretty normal.

My in-laws are very smart, intellectual people with quirky senses of humor. My mother-in-law is a bit more domestic and sometimes enjoys new household stuff. My father-in-law used to do a lot of the cooking, but has since developed some digestive trouble which requires him to eat a bland vegetarian diet. My brother-in-law-to-be and sister-in-law are living in Sweden while the brother-in-law does his post-doctorate in child development. My sister-in-law has given me a lot of quirky art books like Zombies Hate Things, which gives you an idea of her sense of humor...

Anyway, I'm totally lost. Any suggestions?

Deadlift
11-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Some new / more grandchildren, nephews or nieces ;)

Depends really, I usually give people food or drink. But that's my thing. Quirky sense of humour, how about some Classic Monty Python material. Either a movie, or a published script or something along those lines. I don't know many people that don't enjoy "The life of Brian" or "The Holy Grail"

DarkLink
11-21-2013, 12:17 PM
A puppy. For each of them.

Or a kitten, if they're into that.

energongoodie
11-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Christmas jumpers. You can't go wrong with wool.

Wildeybeast
11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Surely your significant other handles all this stuff for you? How can you possibly be expected to know what their family likes, never mind care?

Mr Mystery
11-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Something for the roses?

It's free, completely organic....

Psychosplodge
11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Surely your significant other handles all this stuff for you? How can you possibly be expected to know what their family likes, never mind care?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this :D
If your sis-in-law likes books about hating things, get her a "world according to clarkson" book :)

The rest *shrugs* dunno...

Rissan4ever
11-21-2013, 06:00 PM

Well, if it's anything like the situation with me and my wife's family, he likes them and (gasp!) wants to be nice to them.

Since they're mostly intellectual, I suggest books about their favorite things. The next time you're at their house, scope their bookshelves to make sure you don't get them one they already have. Even if you do, they'll know you thought enough to get them something related to their interests, which is the point anyway.

ElectricPaladin
11-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Well, if it's anything like the situation with me and my wife's family, he likes them and (gasp!) wants to be nice to them.

Dude, I like my wife's family more than mine. In (almost) every couple, there is one who came from the crappy family and one who came from the awesome family. I am the former. My wife is enthusiastically the latter.

Psychosplodge
11-22-2013, 02:42 AM

That reaction has little to do with liking them Riss its just hard enough shopping for your own family, let alone the in-laws...

energongoodie
11-22-2013, 02:45 AM
C H R I S T M A S J U M P E R S !

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LADIES-MENS-CHRISTMAS-JUMPER-XMAS-SANTA-SNOW-POM-POM-3D-NOSE-RUDOLPH-REINDEER-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/~PwAAOxyzi9SeoxW/$(KGrHqJHJCwFJgd,ft5UBSeo)WlbPw~~60_35.JPG

Wolfshade
11-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Tactical Nuclear Penguin, one each.

Psychosplodge
11-22-2013, 02:49 AM
Oh something off here (http://www.gametee.co.uk/), even if they aren't gamers its cool stuff.