PDA

View Full Version : greetings! does anyone run any Sanguinary Guard lists in 6th these daya?

Cry of the Wind
11-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone, just curious if anyone runs this kind of list anymore? I realize it risks low model count and generally no inul saves, but there should be some merit to a well armored, well armed very mobile unit like this.
Dante of course, a mix of SG squads and jump Priests?

I was kicking the concept around, but didn't want to jump in if its not really worth it. I mostly fight tau, necrons, slaaneshi daemons and sometimes marines.

Anyone have some feedback or lists they could share? I was figuring on 1500pts which still wouldn't be very many models haha.

Thanks!
-CotW

Wolfshade
11-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Hello welcome aboard.

Yes some still run pure SG squads, but others use a hybrid approach mixing assault squads in to increase the model count.

There are some in the army list forum.

The difficulty is surviving the round of fire that you recieve when landing. But the ability to turn up and pump out quite a bit of fire power is not to be sniffed at, Angeulus Bolters are great :)

Mr Mystery
11-21-2013, 03:20 AM
For my money, having that 2+ has become all the more important in 6th Ed, simply because most Power Weapons don't penetrate your armour, so the lack of invulnerable save is less noticable.

Wolfshade
11-21-2013, 03:26 AM
I ran a 5 man squad with Dante in a 1,000pt game, needless to say they were fire magnet which they weathered quite well, well enough to enable my Death Company to stride across the board without too much issues.

Anggul
11-21-2013, 04:11 AM
I think it depends a lot on the army you're up against (moreso than most armies). Daemons of Slaanesh aren't a good match-up at all, as the high numbers, high Initiative, invulnerable saves and Rending everywhere render your expensive Artificer Armour and Power Weapons pointless. Hand Flamers would help a bit, but they're pretty poor.

I imagine they would do fairly well against Necrons, who don't have an abundance of AP2. Wraiths would be a real problem for you, but who aren't Wraiths a problem for? Other than the Wraiths you should do pretty well, especially with the AP4 of the Angelus Boltguns and the ability to drop in and Infernus Pistol the vehicles, especially Doomsday Arks which are their source of ranged AP2.

Tau... Interceptor Ion Accelerators are going to be a big problem.

I think it'll work fairly well against most things, but it takes a bit of thought, both while playing and with the loadouts of the squads.

Wolfshade
11-21-2013, 04:30 AM
The other issue is providing a target rich environment, if you are only dropping in 300pts a turn then your opponent will be able to focus fire on that unit each time, whereas if all your reserves arrive on the same turn you fare much better./

Chexmix282
11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
I've been running this as a fun list:

HQ
Dante 225

Elites
3x Sanguinary Priest 225
-Jump Pack

Troops
5 Sanguinary Guard 260
-4 Power Axes, Power Fist, 2 Infernus Pistols, Chapter Banner

5 Sanguinary Guard 230
-4 Power Axes, Power Fist, 2 Plasma Pistols

5 Sanguinary Guard 230
-4 Power Axes, Power Fist, 2 Plasma Pistols

5 Sanguinary Guard 230
-4 Power Swords, Power Fist, 2 Plasma Pistols

5 Sanguinary Guard 230
-4 Power Swords, Power Fist, 2 Infernus Pistols

5 Sanguinary Guard 220
-5 Power Swords, 2 Infernus Pistols

34 models at 1,850 is pretty low, even if they mostly have 2+ saves and FNP. I absolutely love playing this army but it is by no means competitive. Against some armies it does really well, but against well-contructed tournament lists it's hard to avoid getting tabled lol.

DemonFerret
11-22-2013, 02:42 PM
It looks like a list i would love to play against with my Thunderwolf 2 vindicator list. But just cause a list isnt "competitive" doesnt mean its a good list. Just my 2 cents.

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-22-2013, 02:51 PM
If you are going to run a list like this i would spread out the power axes amongst the units. that way each unit has ap2-3 spread through out them. now the power fists i would not really take. their expensive on models that if your challenging with aren't really that good to begin with. challenges and powerfists are not a good combo anymore.

kharne690
02-27-2014, 01:28 AM
If you do a search on YouTube for "40k blood angels sanguinary guard army" you can check mine out. They are still very fun to play. Not super competitive but very entertaining to drop 30+ jump pack terminators on an enemy.