PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Fists list help needed

tayloao
11-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I finally finished my Crimson Fists using the AOBR and a few recommended extras. Here is what I have:

Pedro

Captain w/ power sword and bolter

Terminator x5 Sgt power sword storm bolter, Heavy Flamer

Sternguard x5 Sgt Power Fist, Plasma gun, Flamer

Dreadnought MM

Tactical Squad Sgt Power Fist, Melta, Missile Launcher

Scouts, x5 Sgt CC weapon, 3 sniper rifles, Heavy Bolter, all cloaks

I'd like a good list. I was thinking 1500 points. I'd like to use as much of the above as possible. Here is what I was thinking:

Land Raider Crusader -
Pedro
Honour Guard x4, Champ with Thunder Hammer, Relic
Sternguard, sgt power fist, 2 combi melta, 1 heavy flamer

Rhino-
Tactical squad Sgt combi flamer and melta bombs, flamer, heavy bolter

Rhino-
Tactical squad Sgt combi melta, melta, MM

Devestator squad, Sgt power fists, 4 missile launchers

To make it 2k I think adding the Dread and Terms should work

Anggul
11-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Power Fists on Sergeants aren't much good any more due to challenges. They might be killed before they can swing, or will have to refuse and not be able to attack anyway. There's also no need for a special close combat weapon on a Devastator Sergeant as they're long range fire support.

Heavy Bolters aren't good on Tactical Squads, they're reserved for Devastators with four of them really. Try to get a Missile Launcher instead.

The Scout Sergeant wants a ranged weapon, they're a ranged unit.

There's no real need for Relic Blades in the Honour Guard, they hit pretty hard anyway. Instead, you could do with adding more men to the squad.

The Sternguard are good but need a Transport, and could also do with more men, preferably with a third Combi-Melta as well for reliability. You seem to have realised that you mostly want combi-weapons rather than straight-up weapon swaps so that you can make use of the Special Issue Ammunition, which is good. Heavy Flamers are nice, can't really go wrong there.

tayloao
11-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Thank you for the reply. I tried to use various articles for beginers, and my initial models are from the old articles on GW's site before they took them down.

I was going to put Pedro, the honor guard, and Sternguard in the Land Raider C. (can I actually do that?) I was also thinking of giving one of the HG a banner, but I think it's unneeded with Pedro.

I also have very little time to paint new models. and even less time to play. What are your thoughts on an alternative list using what I have?

Anggul
11-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Ahh right, I see. No, unfortunately you can't put multiple units in one transport, with the exception of Independent Characters as they can join units.

bluepowerade
11-21-2013, 05:01 PM
I disagree that tactical squads should not have a heavy bolter. They are in a rhino, so will likely be moving. The heavy bolter can fire 3 snap shots on the move, rerolling ones with fist tactics. As I see it, at best a tactical squad can have 3 anti-tank weapons in a unit of ten. However, if those special weapons are all devoted to anti-infantry, you can have a whole ten man unit devoted to anti-infantry. I like how you have your tactical squads equipped. Very focused.

I do agree with Anggul that Power fists are generally too many points to spend on any sergeant. I would consider throwing a power weapon (sword or axe) on the sternguard sergeant. People often forget that sternguard have 2 attacks each base, 3 if anywhere near Pedro, 4 on the charge. They can really put out alot of hurt on the charge. Keep that in mind when using them. Also don't forget that they can fire their bolt pistols with special issue ammo before the charge. With the points saved from the power fists, I would try to increase the squad count for the sternguard and get them a rhino.

Looks like a solid start otherwise!

Popsical
11-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Take all the power fists and relic blades out and buy a drop pod for the stern guard. Give their serg a combi melta and melta bombs too.
Maybe add flakk to the devs and a bolter boy or two depending on your local meta.

tayloao
11-22-2013, 08:02 AM
That sucks about not being able to put two units in the same transport if there is room. I was sort of thinking a combo HG and Stern with Pedro would be good.

Most of the recomendations I see are to put Stern in a drop pod. I think this makes a lot of sense.

If that is the case then I'm not sure buying a Land Raider Crusader for just Pedro and a few HG would be the best use of points. Initially I thought about throwing them in a Razor, but then they wouldn't be able to charge right away...right?

tayloao
11-22-2013, 08:07 AM
I got the tactical squad layouts from a couple of articles on various 40k forums. My current layout is Sgt Power fist, melta, missile launcher. The three recommended builds from the articles I've seen for Rhino squads are
1. Sgt combi flamer melta bomb, flamer, HB
2. Sgt combi plasma, flamer, MM
3. Sgt combi melta, melta, MM

tayloao
11-22-2013, 08:09 AM
The special characters I currently have include 2 power fists, melta, flamer, plasma, missile launcher, power sword and bolter. I would like to use as many of these as possible in whatever list I make because of a lack of time for painting, building etc.

I also have the dread and terms which I didn't include in the 1.5k list based on recommendations from reading various article.

BTW....thank you everyone for your recommendations. I really appreciate it.

Anggul
11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I disagree that tactical squads should not have a heavy bolter. They are in a rhino, so will likely be moving. The heavy bolter can fire 3 snap shots on the move, rerolling ones with fist tactics. As I see it, at best a tactical squad can have 3 anti-tank weapons in a unit of ten. However, if those special weapons are all devoted to anti-infantry, you can have a whole ten man unit devoted to anti-infantry. I like how you have your tactical squads equipped. Very focused.

If that's what you're going for you're better off just not taking a heavy weapon at all. Firing a Bolter at full BS is better than paying for a Heavy Bolter and snap-firing with it, even re-rolling 1s.

tayloao
11-22-2013, 12:25 PM
What about

Razor with twin las
Pedro
HG 5 champ with Thunder Hammer, relic

Drop pod with deathwind
Sternguard 6, sgt power fist melt bomb, 3 combi melta, 1 heavy flamer

Rhino-
Tactical squad Sgt combi flamer and melta bombs, flamer, heavy bolter

Rhino-
Tactical squad Sgt combi melta, melta, MM

Devestator squad, Sgt power fist, 4 missile launchers

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Going to disagree with that nothing wrong with the humble heavy bolter. honestly i do no favor anti armour weapons in an infantry squad. you have 1 guy with maybe 2-3 at most if your taking combi melta and melta gun.. if so better off with a multi melta over a missile launcher and then the whole flakk missile argument is absurd. flakk missiles = biggest waste of points ever in a sm army.

But back to the heavy bolter argument. you have a weapon the works well with your troops. use troops to kill troops its an easy concept. save missile launchers for things like devestator squads.

tayloao
12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Here is my latest attempt at a reformed list

Pedro with HG 4 sgt thunder hammer, 1 relic blade
Razorback las/plas

Stern 5, Sgt power fist, 1 plas, 1 plas cannon
razor twin las

Dread in pod

Tac, Sgt power fist, melt, mm, rhino

Tac, Sgt combi flam, flame, heavy bolter, rhino

Scout 5 Sgt. cc weapon, 3 sniper rifles, heavy bolter, all cloak

Devastator 5, 4 missiles

Infinite Freedom
12-06-2013, 03:02 PM
If you are using Crimson Fists, I'd get more tacs on the table, leave the power fist at home for a maul and give the sternguard combi-plasmas instead of a regular plasma gun.

Maybe even leave the meltas at home. You have Missiles and Lascannons for anti-tank. Plus your devs have tank hunter.

teplicuss
12-07-2013, 06:46 AM
If your going for competitive play with this list, i fear there need to be some changes.

Pedro with HG 4 sgt thunder hammer, 1 relic blade
Razorback las/plas

This unit may seem like a great unit , however, i recommend removing the HG and replacing it with more stern guard. For one they gain a bonus attack and their shooting makes them a better choice. Also they become scoring and that will benefit you in the long run. Also..do not, i repeat do not put a thunder hammer or a PF in this unit. It is a waste of points, pedro can take care of that on his own. power weapon is what you need and just one

Stern 5, Sgt power fist, 1 plas, 1 plas cannon
razor twin las

needs a drop pod , 3 combie melts, heavy flamer...and thats it..... NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED. your 5 man strong and you will never..i repeat, NEVER, be able to use that power fist to ever make it worth it points.Besides, what can't you kill with 3 combe-meltas that a power fist can do so much better at? (yes i know hand to hand, but you will be dead way before that)also it will destroy back field threats that you cannot get to first round with your lass cannons.

Dread in pod

turn this into a iron clad dread..and awesome will be his name-o.

Tac, Sgt power fist, melt, mm, rhino

i used to love this squad, but then i relized that it only really worked for me when lots of tanks were on the field and i could actually get them. With the high mobility of the game i would replace that MM with a ML, its range is what you will need in many battles, or go along the rout of lass cannon and plamsa gun and have this unit as a mid field unit to lay waist to armor . its up to you. i run combo grav, grav, and ML and that unit rocks. ( no power fists, again, bad idea, grab power maul or sword, save points)

Tac, Sgt combi flam, flame, heavy bolter, rhino

love this unit, i use it as one of my tac squads and it has won games for me.

Scout 5 Sgt. cc weapon, 3 sniper rifles, heavy bolter, all cloak

get sniper rifle for scout sergeant , his better BS is gonna help you a lot.

Devastator 5, 4 missiles

that should save you some points, get back to us on how much you have left and we will go from there.

tayloao
12-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Teplicuss, thank you for all the input. I really appreciate it.

I've already bought the models for the HG and was going to use the AOBR capt as one of them. What I bought is one with TH, one with relic, and one with the axe. Although, I haven't painted any of them yet other than the capt. I guess what my list making boils down to is still an attempt to use as much of what I have which boils down to 1 with power sword and bolter, 2 with power fists, 1 flamer, 1 melta, 1 plasma, 1 missile launcher.

As for the scout sergeant. It is the old model with the pistol and giant knife. I gave him the rolled up cloak. Can I just add a sniper rifle and call the knife a knife?

I really like your input. Can look look over my original post of what I have and maybe give me your take on a better list?

GravesDisease
12-09-2013, 09:59 AM
flakk missiles = biggest waste of points ever in a sm army.

Completely disagree. With tank hunter it's viable Soft-AA if you take enough. Having dedicated AA is a bit of a waste if your opponent doesn't field fliers; but chucking 2 or more flakk missiles in your dev squad gives you the ability to kill fliers without much of a points investment.