PDA

View Full Version : Army with lots of conversion possibilities?

RocketRollRebel
11-30-2009, 11:31 AM
So I'm looking into starting a new army and I'm looking for something that has a potential for lots of fun/crazy/off the wall conversions. I already have two 40k armies (BA and IG) so I'm thinking of starting a WHFB army instead since I don't currently have one. As it is my IG are all metal Vostroyans which offers very few non weapon conversions and being human you can only go so far with how crazy the conversion gets. I have done a little with my BA which has been fun but I want to try something non human where you can just go nuts with conversions. So what FB army would you suggest for this? I'm not interested in how competitive the book is at the moment or anything, I want to make this army more a modeling/fluff project first and then I'll focus on making it a face beater later. I was thinking maybe something like BoC, VC or O&G, but any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

lobster-overlord
11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
I've found that Ogre Kingdoms has allowed for some fun conversion work, and because they are larger models, the work needed is much easier due to the scale.

John M.

rustbucket
12-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Vampire Counts is a sure bet for LOTS of potential conversions. Since they are undead, you can pretty much take any 25mm based model from any of the other armies and by either using skeleton arms, skulls, or zombie parts, you can convert a figure into the undead. The overall look of the army will be a hodge podge of races and when all based the same will blend into a cohesive looking force. Also, they shouldn't all have the same uniform in the first place since they are being summoned by a necromancer/vampire from their final resting places from different cemetaries/battlefields. Works really well with empire spearmen and bretonian men-at-arms mixed with VC or Tombking bits. Calvary from the empire, bretonian, and tomb kings range for lots of variation within a unit. I did it a few years ago and the resulting 2500pts was amazing looking and like an idiot I sold it off... redoing it now and having alot of fun with it!

Old_Paladin
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
VC offer a lot of conversions; but it usually ends with a pretty somber and serious mood (not that that's a bad thing).

If you want fun loving (and occasionaly goofy); go with orcs and goblins.
War machines that use living ammunition (squig-a-pult?), boyz getting into fights with each other, giants stepping on goblins and/or falling down, orcs that drop trou and moon the enemy, trolls that barf...
The skies the limit.

Liazardman
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I must agree that OK are great for conversions. They are however not a very competitive army. If you are looking for an army with lots of conversion potential and not as much the competitive side i really dont think they can be beat

Thor
01-15-2010, 06:04 AM
WoC is also a no-brainer. HUGE conversion possibilities, with all the mutations going around.

sicarius2424
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
i reall have been playing warhammer fantasy for only like 2 months but the skaven will give alot of crazy conversions personally if you are going non human

Herald of Nurgle
01-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Methinks that, if you don't want to go for the 'bargain buck' conversion opportunities and want to be 'original', you should do Empire. On the other hand, if you like painting based conversions... Bretonnia.