PDA

View Full Version : Inquisition Codex Quibbles

Just_Me
11-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Let me start by saying that I am VERY happy to even HAVE an Inquisition codex, and I love that it allows me to field the Inquisition strike team and their Valkyries I painstakingly collected over the years. I love that they can be fielded as JUST and Inquisitor, either alone or in addition to other armies. I love the variety of options they have. All in all I am very pleased and almost feel like a jerk for complaining about something we never thought we'd get...

...BUT! WHY AREN'T OUR ACOLYTES BS4? I wondered this before when the Grey Knights codex came out years ago and I know it seems like a miniscule thing but that is LITERALLY the only thing that would be required to allow them to become truly representative Inquisitorial Stormtroopers on par with their Imperial Guard equivalent. Would it REALLY be that game breaking to have them be BS4? Veteran Guardsmen are BS4 and doesn't it make sense Inquisitors would select the best of the best for their household troops?

Three side notes; why don't we get 0-1 Imperial Assassins in our list? With so many prominent Inquisitor telepaths in the lore why don't we have access to Telepathy, or an option to upgrade our Mastery Level for that matter? And WHY THE HECK CAN'T WE HAVE AN INVULNERABLE SAVE?!?

I know in the end I'm just ranting, but am I just being unreasonable here?

Melon-neko
11-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Let me start by saying that I am VERY happy to even HAVE an Inquisition codex, and I love that it allows me to field the Inquisition strike team and their Valkyries I painstakingly collected over the years. I love that they can be fielded as JUST and Inquisitor, either alone or in addition to other armies. I love the variety of options they have. All in all I am very pleased and almost feel like a jerk for complaining about something we never thought we'd get...

...BUT! WHY AREN'T OUR ACOLYTES BS4? I wondered this before when the Grey Knights codex came out years ago and I know it seems like a miniscule thing but that is LITERALLY the only thing that would be required to allow them to become truly representative Inquisitorial Stormtroopers on par with their Imperial Guard equivalent. Would it REALLY be that game breaking to have them be BS4? Veteran Guardsmen are BS4 and doesn't it make sense Inquisitors would select the best of the best for their household troops?

Three side notes; why don't we get 0-1 Imperial Assassins in our list? With so many prominent Inquisitor telepaths in the lore why don't we have access to Telepathy, or an option to upgrade our Mastery Level for that matter? And WHY THE HECK CAN'T WE HAVE AN INVULNERABLE SAVE?!?

I know in the end I'm just ranting, but am I just being unreasonable here?

if an inquisitor wants BS 4, conscripts veterans or spacemarines. I have always thought of inquisitorial retinues as more espionage and support based, not fight-it-out-on-the-battlefield based. In Eisenhorn at least, his henchmen think the karskins are pretty amazing. And well, apparently inquisitors enjoy getting beat up in h2h.

the reason you don't get an assassin is because their will almost certainly be a similar assassin codex coming out.

Just_Me
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
I will grant you the point on the Imperial Assassins as I'm sure you're right about their supplement being inevitable.

I also agree that Inquisition retinues are more about support and espionage than full scale combat, but I disagree with the conclusion that this validates a BS3. In my mind it actually increases the argument for BS4 because they are very careful about placing their contributions where they count the most. We have certainly seen examples of crack-shots in Inquisitorial retinues and BS4 seems to represent a level of skill that, while certainly very impressive, is not superhuman by any means. In a real world context if an average infantryman's skill is BS3 then a special forces team would be represented by BS4 and snipers by BS5. Skill levels of above 5 seem to start merging into the truly superhuman realm, only achievable by aliens and augmented or trans-humans. 4 is a level we expect to see from the truly skilled and/or experienced "normals."

And just because Eisenhorn admired the skill of the Kasrkin doesn't mean he or his men are LESS skilled (and what he specifically admired wasn't actually their skill at arms so much as their ironclad discipline), quite the contrary in fact. To the untrained eye a college athlete and an Olympic competitor might both look pretty impressive, but an equally skilled athlete would recognize just how impressive what the Olympion does really is.

Of course, I was specifically making the point that the Inquisition DOES have its own core of Stormtroopers who fullfill the dedicated battlefield and security role when required. While we can represent them through the equipment available to Acolytes apparently now they are not quit as good as their Guard equivalents, weird since some of the lore suggests that generic Stormtroops are made of up the majority of candidates who ARENT GOOD ENOUGH to be Inquisitorial Stormtroops.

Arkhan Land
11-19-2013, 07:38 PM
I also agree on the BS 4 issue when it represents Stormtroopers and Arbites mostly because part of the details of carapace armour is that it is outfitted with targeting sensors. Those things on the sides of arbites shotguns/locke pattern bolters are targeting sensors, the Stormtroopers have them too, even the beret style OG dudes have a Sensor attatched to their packs.

What I would propose is a bump to BS 4 for Carapace and Power Armour. This would put them closer to the equivalency in stats to IG vets or SM Scouts and solve gameplay versus model/and fluff issues.

davel
11-23-2013, 02:23 AM
There are some disappointments with the acolyte in a lack of make them fluffy options.

There is only one way to create a slick delvin acolyte by giving one a plasma pistol(which cuts down of one of your 3 special weapons.

There is no option for a shot gun so arbites are not well represented, though crusaders make decent cc arbites

No options for mutants, rogue traders, tech priests, death watch

If acolytes are inquisitors in waiting , why do inquisitors not have a hot shot las gun option

On invulnerable save the ordo malleus does have access to terminator armour

Now I have some gripes on what they left un changed. The Desmond hosts still have powers that just don't work with other hench men. They also have lost daemon rule so having one in a squad does not cause fear.

Jakero are un changed, but we're heavily FAQ Ed none of the FAQ seems to appear in the book?

Mystics still are a useless choice to a pure henchman list

Psyker now have brotherhood of psykers ( one psykic perils) and a power that states all psykic perils, which is it GW

One last thing that bugs me is White dwarf has had a bit of series on john blanch inquisitorial warbands. Why did any of that make it in there?

Sorry to vent

Dave. L

davel
12-31-2013, 03:40 AM
I have just spotted a bit of a issue if you have converted death cult and crusaders.
I know many players have converted the power weapons to axes and mauls. But the new inquisitor codex states these guys have power swords specifically. This may cause issues. Acolytes still have access to power weapons as does the priest.

Dave l

Lord Lorne Walkier
01-04-2014, 08:35 PM
I hope that there will be a digital release to address the Assassin and Arbites issues. For on my Arbites, i just pay for a bolt gun and give my opponent a choice to face a shot gun or the bolter i paid for. As for the BS 4 issue, maybe the plan is to reduce the BS for the human elites to 3 in 6th. When the Imperial guard codex comes out we will find out. I never liked how a regular human could shoot as good as a Astartes any way.