PDA

View Full Version : Defeating the Grey Knights

Blackcloud6
11-19-2013, 09:14 AM
What are way s to defeat the Grey Knights? What kind of lists are optimized to defeat them?

How so in general sense? And specifically, how would Orks organize to defeat Grey Knights?

chicop76
11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
It would be better if it was guard vs grey knights lol.

Well depending on what the grey knights are using really. The biggest overall weakness is that they are very expensive marines and terminators. Instead of defensive marine goodies they are made to be very offensive. They have or can have strength 5 shooting as normal and have access to really cheap assault cannons that are strength 7, not only are they real cheal they can take as many as 4 as troops or as heavy support.

Oh and their vehicles are almost immune to shaken or stun and can take upgraded versions of bolter type weapons.

The weakness is that they don't have long ranged weapons, typically since they can actually have the most lascannons in the game. A typical Grey Knight army can't put much output pass 24" and usually rely on strength 8 auto cannon fire or strength 6 bilter fire to help with the range gap.

For orcs it is an up hill battle since you really do not want to be within 2ft of that army. Whats worse is they can be rather good in combat as well.

My best advice is to go shooty orcs, the problem with shooty orcs is the bad bs and lack of ap. However against grey knights it's actually viable. The reason being is with 40 models he can only save soo many times.

Now that orcs is the only codex I don't have and I only faced them twice in 6th, so I may forget what they have.

First of lootas can dish out a ton of long range goodness, typically the orc unit I focus on when I play cause I hate them.

Other units that can dish out twin linked love is your buggies, and killer kans. I can't recall how good death copptas are in shooting, but I remember how easy they die and can easily run off the board.

Now I would say a shooting base in your warwagons would really help. Orcs can field the most 14 armor vehicles in the game since they are the cheapest, I wouldn't death rolla since typical knights should be able to take out your wagons due to rear armour.

If you go nob bikers I think against an army that can dish out a ton of shooting and cause instant death in battle it would be a poor expensive choice to run.

I would say horder up, but paladins pretty much are your horde killers.

I think for orcs your threats would be paladins, deathknights, and purifiers. Thinking about it I ment to say purifies are the antihorde lol.

However Grey Knights actually have a lot of diversity to where you might not face any grey knights at all.

chicop76
11-19-2013, 10:18 AM
What are way s to defeat the Grey Knights? What kind of lists are optimized to defeat them?

How so in general sense? And specifically, how would Orks organize to defeat Grey Knights?

In General list that ignore armour saves of 2 and 3. Guard and Tau for example really don't have problems that other armies have. Space Marines with stern guard and grav weapons can do a number on grey knights. Eldar can deal with them.

Nids, CSM and Orcs would have the hardest time.

While Daemons, Grey Knights, and Necrons have a contest who is the most broken

Sly
11-19-2013, 11:16 AM
GK are highly resistant to shenanigans. They have tools to protect against Deep Strike, Scout, and Infiltrate.

However, they are highly vulnerable to bullets. With expensive bodies that gain nothing from getting cover saves if you're not using AP1-3 weapons, if you can put a lot of bullets on target, they will go down. Orks are actually a strong army with which to face them, as you can force a lot of armor saves with Lootas, Shoota Boyz, and Dakkaguns (if you run Wazdakka). Your best bet is to get a lot of bodies with a lot of guns. They will make things easy for you in one sense, because like Orks they are limited to short-medium range for most of their firepower, so they do end up walking into your firepower. They also do not ignore Cover, which is great for Orks who don't really have armor saves, and they pay a lot for the privilege of having AP3 Force weapons, when Orks only have a 6+ armor save to lose and don't have many multi-wound models. With only 1 attack each, they will get dragged down in Assault easily even just by normal Shoota Boyz, so charge them with lots of bodies and rifles, and assault when you get into range.

Oh, I forgot to mention: if they run Purifiers, those can kill Hordes in Assault. Shoot them first and back away from assaults if there are Purifiers in the area.

Popsical
11-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Good advice all round, green tide them to death. Get the purifiers with range or get them into cc before they shoot.
Good luck.

chicop76
11-19-2013, 11:46 AM
GK are highly resistant to shenanigans. They have tools to protect against Deep Strike, Scout, and Infiltrate.

However, they are highly vulnerable to bullets. With expensive bodies that gain nothing from getting cover saves if you're not using AP1-3 weapons, if you can put a lot of bullets on target, they will go down. Orks are actually a strong army with which to face them, as you can force a lot of armor saves with Lootas, Shoota Boyz, and Dakkaguns (if you run Wazdakka). Your best bet is to get a lot of bodies with a lot of guns. They will make things easy for you in one sense, because like Orks they are limited to short-medium range for most of their firepower, so they do end up walking into your firepower. They also do not ignore Cover, which is great for Orks who don't really have armor saves, and they pay a lot for the privilege of having AP3 Force weapons, when Orks only have a 6+ armor save to lose and don't have many multi-wound models. With only 1 attack each, they will get dragged down in Assault easily even just by normal Shoota Boyz, so charge them with lots of bodies and rifles, and assault when you get into range.

Oh, I forgot to mention: if they run Purifiers, those can kill Hordes in Assault. Shoot them first and back away from assaults if there are Purifiers in the area.

Who doesn't run purifiers. Anyway they can have purifiers as troops which is cheaper than regular troops upgraded.

I been out shot by orc with my nid shooty list and my nid shooty list was outshooting most list, becore they changed nids. Anyway 4 orcs is about equal to one grey knight. 4 orcs have a really good chance of killing a grey knight in battle.

However be weary with combat. They also have rad, psychoke, and hammer hand. Needless to say they can wound on 2s and possibly reduce the amount of attacks you can dish out.

My favorite orc killers are my deathcult and crusdaers with rad grenades and psychoke grenades with a techpriest with a 2 plus invulnerable save in combat. I have had this squad kill 3 carnifexes like it was nothing, that's without force weapons. They also slaughter orcs rather easy and almost half the price of a greyknight.

I really need to get that inquisition book so I can get some use out of my deathcult with force mace and power swords and my axe crusaders.

chicop76
11-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Good advice all round, green tide them to death. Get the purifiers with range or get them into cc before they shoot.
Good luck.

Purifiers in combat? Only thing the orcs have that can actually do that is Ghazzkill when he waaaaggghhs. Other than that the purifiers will slaughter anything in combat. Initiative 6 force weapons or the I kill half your squad power typically does the job. If they are rad and psychoke up they will own.

Blackcloud6
11-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Good stuff, thanks for the advice.

My Lootas are a great squad in my Army.. Everyone I play fears them though after the first turn they fire in and all the enemy's fire concentrates on them. But I get the notion of throwing a lot of lead at the GKs.

Boscolamb
11-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Good stuff, thanks for the advice.

My Lootas are a great squad in my Army.. Everyone I play fears them though after the first turn they fire in and all the enemy's fire concentrates on them. But I get the notion of throwing a lot of lead at the GKs.

Basically this is the same thing I told Blackcloud6 in person. Avoid CC until they're weakened by fire. Keep in mind in the case of Paladins with an Apothecary attached, this wittling down could take some time.

I suspect that (renegade) IG would be especially good at this task. I hope someone else in my local group will run GK so that I can test this theory while I use my Traitor Guard against them.

chicop76
11-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Basically this is the same thing I told Blackcloud6 in person. Avoid CC until they're weakened by fire. Keep in mind in the case of Paladins with an Apothecary attached, this wittling down could take some time.

I suspect that (renegade) IG would be especially good at this task. I hope someone else in my local group will run GK so that I can test this theory while I use my Traitor Guard against them.

Plasma Sentinels, Standard russ battle tank, lots of plasma veterans. These kill dem marinessss.

Popsical
11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Purifiers in combat? Only thing the orcs have that can actually do that is Ghazzkill when he waaaaggghhs. Other than that the purifiers will slaughter anything in combat. Initiative 6 force weapons or the I kill half your squad power typically does the job. If they are rad and psychoke up they will own.

Yep. Get them into combat with two or three units of orcs, like 20 boyz each, and swamp them.
Yeah they will kill one unit or damage both. But the volley of dakka on the way in and the sheer number of attacks in cc will kill em.

chicop76
11-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Yep. Get them into combat with two or three units of orcs, like 20 boyz each, and swamp them.
Yeah they will kill one unit or damage both. But the volley of dakka on the way in and the sheer number of attacks in cc will kill em.

The dakka yes. Heck one purifier can easily kill 10-15 orcs byhimself. In combat 2 full orc squads is almost double the cost of the purifiers.

Thinking about it one purifier squads and dish out 16 shots that can be twin linked wounding on 2 and12 more shots wounding on 3s. It is safe to say a purifier squad can decimate an orc squad. Heck I seen purifier squads handle three waves thrown at them.

I would stay back and widdle them down before you try to tie them up in assault.

Learn2Eel
11-20-2013, 03:30 PM

That seems like a losing proposition to me. The Purifiers "Cleansing Flame" works against all enemy models in a combat, meaning that even if you charged 40 Orks into one unit of - for example - 10 Purifiers, you would lose about 17 Orks just from Cleansing Flame. That doesn't even count their power weapon strikes - two attacks each at AP3 - or their shooting.....and their shooting all accounted for - average at least two rounds - would probably account for just many, if not more casualties than Cleansing Flame.

Purifiers just obliterate hordes. Their weakness is that they cost even more than a Strike Squaddie and aren't any tougher, meaning they are far more easily drowned in lots of shooting. And if a Heldrake comes calling....well....
The trick to beating Purifiers as Orks is not to charge them with your Boyz but to shoot them to death with massed fire. Lootas, even Shoota Boyz work, as well as pot shots. Every Purifier lost is the equivalent of losing 4 basic Boyz. If your opponent is running 10 Purifiers in a squad then every casualty will be pretty bad.

DarkLink
11-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Not gonna lie, I've only ever lost to battlewagon orks, and only then because of the battlewagons and Ghaz himself, not really the rest of the army.

chicop76
11-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Not gonna lie, I've only ever lost to battlewagon orks, and only then because of the battlewagons and Ghaz himself, not really the rest of the army.

That is pretty much a true statement.

What if funny is Daemon Hunters should be called Orc hunters. Grey Knights kill orcs much easier than they deal with Daemons. I still say the strongest daemon army can do rather well against the strongest daemon hunter army.

Katharon
11-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Easiest way to defeat Grey Knights: *make* them take armor saves. I've beat GKs using horde IG. Sure 2+ armor is nice, but if your five man squad of Terminators gets shot 100-150 times and wounded 60-75 times by a 50-man lasgun armed squad, then they are not likely to survive.

For Orks, I would advise using Lootas (full squads) and swamping them with boyz. Put out those massive barrages and then swamp them in CC, using your boss poles to keep units from breaking and special characters to curbstomp pesky things like Dreadknights.