PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Space Marines - Working with what I've got

Kwantum
11-19-2013, 08:09 AM
So I started playing when the new Space Marine codex hit shelves - the strikeforce was just too good of a deal to pass up. Since then, I've picked up a couple of second hand stormravens for a steal and a few other models (if you're curious as to what models I currently have in addition to the ones listed, let me know). This is the list I've been playing with a buddy of mine for the past couple of weeks, and I'd like to think it's been fairing pretty well. I'd like some constructive criticism on it as well as some suggestions on what models I should be looking to pick up going forward. I know I'll probably get some hate for mentioning the vidya gayme mehreens, but keep in mind I'm keeping the list somewhat fluffy with Blood Ravens (hence the double psyker HQs). Without further ado:

Primary Detachment (1178pt): Space Marines (Ultramarines)

HQ:
Chief Librarian Tigurius (165pt)

Troops:
Tactical Squad - 9x Marines (Lascannon, Meltagun), Vet Sgt w/ Combi-Melta (190pt)
Scout Squad - 5x Scouts (4x Sniper Rifles, Heavy Bolter w/ Hellfire), Camocloaks, Telion (143pt)

Elites:
Sternguard Veteran Squad - 4x Veterans (2x Combi-Melta, 2x Heavy Flamer), Sgt. w/ Meltabombs, Drop Pod (200pt)

Heavy Support:
Stormraven Gunship - TL Multi-Melta, TL Assault Cannon, Hurricane Bolters, Locator Beacon (240pt)
Stormraven Gunship - TL Multi-Melta, TL Assault Cannon, Hurricane Bolters, Locator Beacon (240pt)

Allied Detachment (670pt) - Space Marines (Raven Guard)

HQ:
Librarian - Power Armour, Mastery Lvl 2, Force Axe (90pt)
Command Squad - 4x Veterans (Bolt Pistol/Plasma Gun), Apothecary (175pt)

Troops:
Tactical Squad - 9x Marines (Heavy Bolter, Flamer), Vet Sgt w/ Combi-Flamer, Rhino (210pt)

Elites:
Vanguard Veteran Squad - 4x Veterans (2x w/ Storm Shield/Meltabomb/Bolt Pistol/Chainsword, 2x w/ Bolt Pistol/Power Sword), Sgt w/ Bolt Pistol/Power Fist, Jump Packs (195pt)

1848pt/1850pt

To clear up some potential confusion: Tigurius, who usually takes a bunch of Divination support powers, joins the Command Squad (which I put in Raven Guard just in case I might want to Scout move elsewhere after I've seen my opponent's deployment) that acts as a "come at me bro" gun line who can also deal with heavy troops. Gets Hot is never an issue with Prescience, 3+ armor, and 5+ FNP - I have yet to lose a guy to it after ~10 games. The Librarian sticks with the Sternguard, taking Flame Breath for an extra heavy flamer and whatever other power I feel I need; these guys usually drop pod behind enemy lines to take out a bunch of well entrenched troops, using the heavy flamers and all that jazz to ignore cover. The Stormravens usually act as just gunboats, but I have locators on them in case I might find it necessary to start with some guys inside so they can deep strike out of it the turn after they come in without leaving the fliers vulnerable in hover.

Akaiyou
11-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Why not have tigurius with the sternguard? Seems like a bit of a waste on the command squad to me.

How do the sternguard drop pod in without paying for the drop pod?

Locator beacon can't be used on the turn the storm raven shows up, in case you weren't aware it must be there for a turn prior to use.

As to what to get in the future, I recommend bikes or storm talons. Having some good fast attack units will help you out when playing the scouring mission as well as provide powerful support to the rest of your army.

Kwantum
11-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Why not have tigurius with the sternguard? Seems like a bit of a waste on the command squad to me.

How do the sternguard drop pod in without paying for the drop pod?

Locator beacon can't be used on the turn the storm raven shows up, in case you weren't aware it must be there for a turn prior to use.

As to what to get in the future, I recommend bikes or storm talons. Having some good fast attack units will help you out when playing the scouring mission as well as provide powerful support to the rest of your army.

forgot to list the drop pod, it's paid for in the 200pts though. i've tried tigurius in the sternguard before, it doesn't work out too well seeing as they're mostly just a suicide unit that's going to drop in, murder a bunch of crap, then get shot to **** the next turn.

i understand how the locator beacons work and know they have to be on the board for a turn. if they're carrying anyone, they usually just fly in ,shoot up an objective on the turn they come in, and deepstrike the guys onto the objective the next turn. i could also swap out a beacon on one of the stormravens for one on the drop pod maybe? would just have to put the sternguard near an objective to follow the same strategy, but it gets the troops down faster.

i do have a few bikes that i got from a guy who didn't want them from their dark vengeance set, just clipped off the wings and shaved the DA iconography off. i'll definitely be picking up some more though!

Patrick Boyle
11-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Regarding Akaiyou's comment, a command squad is definitely not a bad place for Tigurius to be. 4 Prescience and Perfect Timing backed Plasma Guns with Feel No Pain to give some insurance against the hopefully rare overheats is nothing to sneeze at. Nevermind that, unless I've read it wrong, each of those guys with Plasma Guns can also take Storm Shields(they can directly purchase a SS, rather than replacing something with one).

Anggul
11-20-2013, 03:53 AM
I would say the Tactical Marines could do with Rhinos as they're equipped with Melta and Flamer, both of which are very close range. Oh, and don't bother with Heavy Bolters in Tactical Squads, either take a Multi-Melta in the Melta squad or find the extra points to upgrade it to a Missile Launcher. Heavy Bolters are only good when you have an entire Devastator Squad full of them.

With the Vanguard, you don't want the Power Fist on the Sergeant. He's got the same stats as the rest of the squad but is likely to end up in a challenge, so the Power Fist will probably just get him killed. If you want one in the squad, give it to a random guy instead.