PDA

View Full Version : Can he really do that?

clanmccracken
11-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Hello BoLS how is it going?

Sorry my first post has to be about something stupid but I was unable to find out anything about it online, and it did not appear that anything like this had been
discussed here before. Anyway here goes.

Today I was at my FLGS and was trying out a 2k Sororitas list VS. Dark Eldar. My question is about what my opponent fielded. His army consisted of 2 squads of 5
warriors in a raider each and Asdrubal(sp) Vect in a Dias of Destruction with 9 Archons. At first I was like, "Wat?" but he showed me in his codex where it says that
Vect in his Dias must be accompanied by 9 models and that the unit they make up does not take up any slots on the force org chart. Not being able to say anything
against it at the time, we played the game.

Boy of boy did I get rocked in and about the face.

So now for my question. Is that legal? I can not find anywhere in the rules or on forums where is says you can not take models from the HQ section to fill out Vect's
retinue, but I am having equal trouble locating something that says you can. I am inclined to say that the list was legal and just say 'well played' whilst I collect the
teeth of my sororitas from the field, but I would like someone else's opinion on the legality of the list.

Thanks
Clan

Mr Mystery
11-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Codex says 9 models, in addition to Vect.

Doesn't say they take up no slots.

Thus, could only have one Archon on board. Rest could be a Court, Warriors, Incubi etc.

court of the archon however takes up no slots, but cannot contain additional Archons.

Houghten
11-19-2013, 01:48 AM
No, that wasn't a legal move. The Dais must begin the game carrying Vect plus nine other models, but you're still restricted by the Force Organisation Chart. However, since this was 2000 points and there are four HQ slots to spend, he could have taken Vect, three other Archons, and six other models (I'm thinking maybe a bunch of Trueborn with shardcarbines and splinter cannon... and now that I'm thinking that, let's swap one of the Archons for Duke Sliscus... mmm).

court of the archon however takes up no slots, but cannot contain additional Archons.

I'm trying to find where it says this. I mean, you can't purchase an Archon as part of the Court. But there's nothing stopping you joining two Archons to the same Court.

Mr Mystery
11-19-2013, 02:59 AM
I was meaning literally the Court of the Archon as a unit. It doesn't have an Archon or Dracon options.

Poor wording on my behalf.

Sly
11-19-2013, 07:37 AM
I was meaning literally the Court of the Archon as a unit. It doesn't have an Archon or Dracon options.

Poor wording on my behalf.

Vect can most certainly start the game on his Dais along with a Court that consist of 9 models.

Mr Mystery
11-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Yes. I know. I'm not disputing that....

Original miscommunication came about when I managed to make it look as if I was saying that a Court of the Archon cannot have any other Archons attached to it.

What I was trying to say is that a Court of the Archon doesn't have Archons as an option within it.

Nabterayl
11-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Yeah, the fact that a Court of the Archon doesn't use up a Force Organization Chart selection doesn't mean that Vect's mandatory nine-model unit can be made up of any nine models he wants. It still has to be composed legally.

Archon Charybdis
11-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Dias of Destruction

I don't know why, but whenever these Vect discussions come up it invariably includes conversation about this very intimidating-sounding Portuguese person.

Houghten
11-21-2013, 12:44 AM
They can't even spell it correctly in the official FAQ.

I like to call it the "Buenos Dias."

Skullchewer
11-21-2013, 05:23 PM
From the DE FAQ:
Q: For Asdrubael Vect to take the Dias of Destruction the Dias must
begin the game with Asdrubael Vect and 9 other models on board. How
does this work? (p55)
A: Before the game starts, Asdrubael Vect will have to join a
squad that is 9 models strong, and they must be embarked upon
the Dias of Destruction when they are deployed.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3180052a_Dark_Eldar_v1.4_APRIL13.pdf

So the question is; does the Court count as Asdrubael joining a squad, or is it technically an upgrade to Asdrubael??

Nabterayl
11-21-2013, 07:00 PM
It's its own squad. Vect allows one to be taken, but nothing indicates that Vect (or any other archon) has to join it at any point.