PDA

View Full Version : Faction Choice

Cryl
11-30-2009, 04:38 AM
I love the look of Warmachine and being told that I need a handful of models (compared to the horde armies of fantasy / 40k) made me want to start this even more. This http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=2338 thread has a short overview of the four major powers but I'm struggling to find more detailed overviews of each force and have found virtually nothing about The Retribution faction, I know they're new but in the GW world there'd be a detailed overview on about 5 sites by now!

Can anyone point me in the direction of model and playstyle guides please? Or offer any advice on starting factions and general beginner hints and tips?

Faultie
11-30-2009, 10:43 AM
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/

Cryl
12-01-2009, 02:08 AM
thanks, I'd seen that site but there doesn't appear to be much where to start stuff for 2nd edition, can I assume most of it is the same from 1st?

GentleBen
12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
thanks, I'd seen that site but there doesn't appear to be much where to start stuff for 2nd edition, can I assume most of it is the same from 1st?

Most of the faction's playstyles haven't changed too much. Cryx has probably changed the most as their arc nodes aren't dirt cheap anymore, so you should only take as many as you are sure you need, and then you have to be careful you don't lose them. Cryx armies with hordes of undead now seem to be even more viable as their troops are cheaper than ever.

I've written articles for Bols now for 3 of the original WM factions, with Lux doing the 4th (Khador), while trying to keep MkII in mind. http://www.belloflostsouls.net/search/label/warmachine If you have a specific faction you like best maybe I could answer some more specific questions.

Cryl
12-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the link. I'm pretty sure I don't want Cryx as what appeals to me are the warjacks and the fact that I can create an elite army. I was leaning towards Menoth but apparently they rely heavily on infantry and that puts me off a little as I want to focus on 'jacks as much as possible. Khador is the other option as some of the huge armoured walking tanks that they get for 'jacks just feel right! Cgynar I'm a little indifferent about.

I don't know the rules (other than a read through the quick start pdf) so my theories about jack heavy may be madness but if possible am I looking at the right factions in Khador or Menoth? I want somethign that will be fairly competitive as well as look good and be fun to play.

Sorry for the open ended questions but this is an entirely new game system to me so I don't know what I don't know yet! Thanks for your help.

GentleBen
12-03-2009, 12:59 PM
All the factions have warcasters who play best or better with more warjacks. For Khador the primary choice would be a Karchev led force. Karchev (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warcasters/karchev-the-terrible) is pretty much a warjack himself so if its warjacks you like hes a great choice. Both versions of Khador's Butcher (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warcasters/kommander-orsus-zoktavir) also do a good job with warjacks, though pButcher (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warcasters/the-butcher-of-khardov) (that would be non-epic or prime Butcher ) has a unit specific spell that you would be missing out on if you didn't take some infantry along. pVlad (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warcasters/vladimir-the-dark-prince-of-umbrey) also runs well with warjacks.

For the Protectorate the obvious choice is Amon ad Raza (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warcasters/high-allegiant-amon-ad-raza). He does well with any warjacks, but the nature of his spells actually means he is ideal with lights, particularly the Dervish (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warjacks/dervish). Feora Protector of the Flame (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warcasters/feora-protector-of-the-flame), and the Harbinger of Menoth (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warcasters/harbinger-of-menoth) can also do okay with a 'jack heavy army giving their warjacks a nice blanket speed buff, but again, they both have spells that are also really helpful for units. The Harbinger also has the highest focus stat in the game meaning she can give her 'jacks all kinds of options, but she's a giant target so you'll probably need at least 1 devout (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warjacks/devout) to help take bullets for her.

Cryl
12-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks for your help so far GentleBen, I think that combined with some serious time spent reading the site that Faultie linked has led me to decide on Khador. I'm thinking of picking up the battlebox, the pVlad model (extra speed seems to be really useful from what I can tell) and a Kodiak model.

I love the look of the Spriggan model but models that look that cool are rarely brilliant on the tabletop, is it worth a go?

Infantry wise I'm thinking that Iron Fang pikemen or some Men O War demo squads might be useful, kinda like light jacks without needing to be controlled by a caster if I'm reading it right.

Does that sound like I'm going in the right direction to start off?

Faultie
12-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Before buying anything, I'd do this:

Download this (http://files.privateerpress.com/warmachine/Mk2_Rule_Prerelease_20091124.pdf). These are the final MKII core rules that Privateer Press has graciously released for free.

Once you have the mechanics of how the game works figured out, download the mostly-finished model rules here (http://privateerpress.com/files/WM_MkII_Cards_0.pdf).

These are the rules for all the models for the 4 main Warmachine Factions + Mercenaries (no Retribution rules, though). This will give you all the rules you need to understand the game, run a few test matches, proxy some models, and see what you really like. Then, jump right in!

Irdion
01-20-2010, 06:10 AM
I would agree with Faultie wholeheartedly!

By way of a faction rundown, I'll try my best to give you a fluff-centric rendition, followed by a playstyle rundown.

Cygnar is the poster child of the Iron Kingdoms, with the best equipment, training, and overall highest level of technology of any nation. They are a nation of progress and innovation, with key scientists in the war effort often following their creation into the field. Electricity has just been harnessed for use by man, and the subsequent technological developments have been applied to weaponry. The theme of Cygnar is "beset on all sides" as they are being sequentially hit hard by every other major faction all at the same time.

The playstyle of Cyngar involves a lot of rapidly redeploying gun-lines, with a huge bevy of defensive magic and capability boosting spells at their disposal. After the initial volleys to soften up the enemy, the varied assault elements descend on the survivors to cut them down with incredibly powerful weaponry (some of the strongest in the game). Warjacks are highly versatile and often specialized, although some jack of all trades do exist.

Khador is the Russian themed expansionist empire, with cossack raiders and heavy steam-powered battle-suits rumbling down the field at the enemy. Most of their technology is based on what has worked in the past, although this has started to change as Cygnar and Khador have entered a bit of an arms race. Technological innovation is back, and their is a high reliance on siege and bombard type weapons. They are currently the biggest nation, having acquired large portions of Northern Cygnar after the fall of one of Cygnar's key military outposts. They are also responsible for the current state of affairs, having subsumed the sovereign nation of Lleal despite international treaties and against the will of the Llealese.

The playstyle of Khador is all about the charge, with a very one-dimensional playstyle. Every element in the Khador force exists to either provide support for assault elements, or to assault itself. The many types of forces and themes of Khador make it a popular army, especially since many of its weaknesses are countered by its warcasters (who are MONSTERS in melee).

The Protectorate of Menoth is a religious offshoot of Cygnar, although it is still technically a part of Cygnar. The men and women of the Protectorate are followers of the creator god of man (and the embodiment of Law) as opposed to the newer deity Morrow (the god of selflessness) which is more prevalently worshiped. The appearance of the Harbinger sparked a new wave of religious reform and militarization, as Menoth is tired of being ignored by the race he created. The Protectorate disdain the use of modern technology and arcane magic, using prayer and captured sorcerers from other nations to produce their technology.

Menoth is basically a gigantic onion, with each element in a force supporting every other element. Alone, each piece is not very useful, and easily overmanned by any other faction. Properly supported however, a single model can win the game. The Protectorate are very unforgiving to new players, and have a very steep learning curve. There is a heavy theme of faith and fire throughout the force construction, and Menite warcasters are great supporting casters, better in many ways even than Cygnar.

Cryx is an island nation consisting of pirate reavers and the countless legions of undead servitors all worshiping the father of all dragons, Toruk. Unlike traditional Dragons, a Dragon in the Iron Kingdoms is basically the closest thing to a living act of god that exists. They have historically been responsible for the deaths of cities, and their conflicts are the drive of the Cryxian nation. Toruk seeks to consume each of his offspring to return his Athanc to its full state, and the entire Cryxian nation endeavors to make this possible.

Cryx is a massively offensive casting machine, likewise possessing a huge number of fragile, yet highly damaging units that can wipe out enemy forces in a flash. They don't work so well in a stand up fight, relying more on not getting hit than their armor. Cryx is a bit of a tricky faction to get the hang of, as it alters between hordes of troops or highly elite fusions of warjacks and troops working in concert. While they have a bit of a learning curve, Cryx is definable one of the more varied factions in model ranges, and can be constructed in a myriad number of ways.

ZenPaladin
03-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I found your rundown both succinct and helpful Irdion. I'm also a new player and starting my Retibution force with Vyros.

I have to admit the first time I ran face first into a Menoth Heavy Jack I was a little unerved at how much tougher and harder hitting it was. Three games latter I got my first win against my openent by making use of my movement and abusing the pathfinder rule to send my whole battlegroup against one unit at a time of my foe's.

What would you say are the general strength's and stratigies of the Retibution?

Razorx1970
03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Khador and Cygnar both seam like the heavy hitters jack-style if you ask me. They both have the largest range of big jacks too, and with MKII rules, they encourage more jack-style play too boot, making either the ideal choice. Both I think have the coolest looking jacks too out of them all.

I too play to have fun, and like to use the models that I prefer the most, versus having the absolute best competitive army.

odinsgrandson
03-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Ok, you have two things to account for when you're talking about a given force's strengths and weaknesses- the faction and the warcaster.

The game balance is such that no faction gets left behind- at all really. However, some specific 'casters fair better than others in the big tournament circuits.

Each faction has some things it does better than others, but each warcaster has those also, and a warcaster can alter the way that a force works far more than a warcaster.

So, here's a short rundown:

Cygnar- these guys have strong ranged attacks, and some good tricks to run around. They have great options for ranged warjacks and infantry, along with a few hard hitting melee infantry and heavy warjacks.

Their armor isn't as tough as Khadoran armor, but they are more maneuverable- or they can keep the opponent from being maneuverable. They have some good buffing spells and most of their 'casters operate by making their force stronger.

Khador operates without buffs. They have some of the strongest troops and warjacks in the game, but for the most part don't have a lot to give them. Their 'casters each have their own tricks (and a few buffs here and there). Overall, they rely on the power of their troops over the power of their spells.

Khadorans 'jacks and heavy infantry tend to have extremely high armor values and extremely low movement scores- so they are often played as a blunt instrument.

Menite troopers live to stack buffs. They can put piles of buffs on everything they field- so much that players have a tough time figuring out exactly how to make their lists. A lot of their synergies rely on them getting more powerful as they are damaged.

Menites tend to have a lot of denial factors also. They can keep your opponent from doing his thing, so that the two armies hit head one- and one is denied most of his effects and buffs. This can be brutal when pulled off right.

Cryx is the most maneuverable force, and the most intent on dirty tricks. Their troopers tend to die easily, but they can often attack and kill the enemy warcaster more easily than other factions. Their spells operate on assassinations and debuffs primarily, so they really just make your opponent easier to kill when that one shot comes off.

Cryx has a good domination over magic, and has a lot of use for the cheap arc nodes available to them (even if they aren't as cheap as they were in Mark I).

The Retribution combines the denial of Menoth with the ranged finesse of Cygnar. Their warjacks, and a lot of their troopers have very strong ranged capabilities, while their warcasters often focus on keeping the opponent from acting as he should. They tend to take damage more easily than a Menite force, and have a little more in the way of assassination tactics available to them.

-by the way, the Retribution has not changed at all from Mark I to Mark II (since their rules were designed for Mark II anyway). So go ahead and check them out on Battle College that way.

Remember- these are all general statements about the factions. Each 'caster has his own