PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights Henchman Question

Katharon
11-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I have a question regarding the Psyker in the Henchman section. The rules for the model's psychic powers say that the Strength of the attack increases by 1 for each additional Psyker in the unit beyond the first (starts at S3); and likewise the AP (which starts at AP6) improves by 1 for each additional Psyker beyond he first.

So I have a unit of six psykers, which makes their psychic attack become S8 AP1. My question is: if I add one more psyker to make the attack S9 would that then make it also AP-?

My problem is that this was the argument a friend of mine was making during a game. He said it became AP0 and I argued that this wouldn't be true, since that is not an "improvement" and the rule states that the attack must "improve". There is no stated limit for either the Strength or AP improvements, but I would assume that they can go as high as S10 and AP1...or else I'm going to start having fun with a Henchman Squad of Psykers dishing out S13 large blasts.

What do you guys think?

DarkLink
11-16-2013, 09:19 PM
AP- and AP0 are not the same thing. In actual mathematical terms, zero is a number, not a lack of a number. Zero is not null.

Strength is pretty clearly capped at 10, since strength always caps at 10. As for AP, it should be pretty obvious what the answer is.

Exterminatus
11-16-2013, 09:23 PM
You are correct in your argument sir. the strength can go up to 10 and the AP down to 1.
If you wana tease your friend you can always tell him that when the strength goes above 10
it becomes strength " D " :D

Katharon
11-16-2013, 09:46 PM
If you wana tease your friend you can always tell him that when the strength goes above 10
it becomes strength " D " :D

I'm so doing that.

Katharon
11-16-2013, 09:48 PM
AP- and AP0 are not the same thing. In actual mathematical terms, zero is a number, not a lack of a number. Zero is not null.

Strength is pretty clearly capped at 10, since strength always caps at 10. As for AP, it should be pretty obvious what the answer is.

...do you ever read what you write and imagine what it might sound like to someone else? It came out really badly in my mind. For all intents and purposes for this game, when someone says AP0, I know that they mean AP-. I'm not a douche about grammatical or mathematical terms when discussing these kinds of ideas with other people -- especially when I know exactly what they meant.

DarkLink
11-16-2013, 10:43 PM
I figure that if someone gets grumpy over an honest answer or comment I post, I don't particularly care, unless I accidentally, I dunno, made a real awkward foot in mouth comment. Like maybe using the word retard when said poster has an autistic kid, or something. Not worth getting worked up over random stuff on the internet.

Also, I've never heard anyone refer to AP- as AP0. It's always AP 'nothing', or something to that effect. So if that's something your gaming group does, I can see why you might get a little peeved (actually, not really, to be honest, since when asking a rules question I personally would expect a 'well, technically that's incorrect' as an answer if I was wrong), but really that's not an expectation you should jump to conclusions over.

Your question was twofold. Does the strength cap at 10 (yes, there's a rule, as I mentioned, that strength caps at 10 in general), and does AP1 drop to AP0. Since, as I mentioned, I've never heard of anyone refer to AP- as AP0 before, I thought it odd that you would equate the two. While you might verbalize them similarly, in the written rules there is no AP0, and as you mentioned AP- is at the wrong end of the AP spectrum for it to work like that, so it seems to me that the question answers itself once you've made those points.

Katharon
11-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Not grumpy Darklink, just pointing out that you came across as sounding douchey.

Houghten
11-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Also, I've never heard anyone refer to AP- as AP0. It's always AP 'nothing', or something to that effect.

At my UFLGS, it is interchangeably referred to as "ay pee nothing," "ay pee oh," "ay pee zero" and "ay pee dash," and also as "wait, you mean my boyz actually get a save?"

YorkNecromancer
11-17-2013, 05:07 AM
We call it 'AP blank'.

No numerical value is given, so that makes sense to me.

euansmith
11-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Oh course Gee-Dub could have just called it "AP:7"

euansmith
11-17-2013, 06:31 AM
I do wish this forum had a "Like" button for comments like yours :D